Real Estate

What areas in Toronto are new parents moving to?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 3rd, 2021 12:34 pm
Aug 4, 2010
157 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto

What areas in Toronto are new parents moving to?

My partner and I have a newborn and are looking for a home in Toronto (sub $2m)...

What are areas in Toronto that new parents are moving to?

Ideally with good schools, good new parent community feel, lots of kids.

THANKS!
21 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
4021 posts
3240 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
Toronto or GTA?

If the latter the then Burlington is excellent for young families.
RichmondCA wrote: Leading indicator on bear market, when you see this avatar start popping up in this thread
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2020
4227 posts
5537 upvotes
With 2m there are options.

Narrow it down for readers, at least by west, east or north...and do we assume the city proper, so no suburbs?
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2019
2347 posts
4020 upvotes
Stouffville ON
Do you have family in the area you want to be close by?
Full Time and Full Service Realtor
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
3841 posts
7804 upvotes
Toronto/Markham
bczk wrote: My partner and I have a newborn and are looking for a home in Toronto (sub $2m)...

THANKS!
Lots of options in that range. In no particular order based on my own clients:

Beaches
Bloor West Village
Leaside
Mid Town

All of these meet your criteria.
RE Broker
Aug 4, 2010
157 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

Toronto central -- no suburbs yet (although may need to consider soon at these prices)!!
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2020
4227 posts
5537 upvotes
Id echo RichmondCA

So if looking on MLS map,

Beaches, south of Kingston and east of woodbine (realtors will tell you to be open to outside this but the schools becomes a potential issue)

midtown - Id say stick north of St Clair. If Avenue or Yonge, can go as far as the commercial strips go (good amount north of Lawrence) but if Bayview, or Mt Pleasant, in your price, best to start looking south of Eglinton

BWV - IMO don't get so far north you're in the Junction, again, schools.

I'd add Riverdale or off the Danforth (but be closer to Danforth and west of pape)

I could stretch the recommendations to St Clair around Christie, or maybe very specific spots along the east Danforth, but it would be dropping down levels in one or more ways.

Schools can be tricky. If a home seems a deal compared to others, you may have passed over the border from a desired school to not. Don't trust the realtor on schools, the borders are not straightforward, and vary depending catholic/public. Easy to mix the two up. Use their websites or if it's into Sept, call the school direct.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
21739 posts
21353 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
RichmondCA wrote: Lots of options in that range. In no particular order based on my own clients:

Beaches
Bloor West Village
Leaside
Mid Town

All of these meet your criteria.
Great areas.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2002
1926 posts
252 upvotes
Vancouver
Lots of families out in Leslieville/Beaches.
Dec 28, 2010
919 posts
412 upvotes
Toronto
Inventory is super low..might want to check out Junction, surrounding areas of High park, Roncesvalles.... north of Lansdowne lots of new builds are planned, the whole area will be transformed in coming years... Plus has both TTC, GO, airport Express connectivity.
Probably don't need a huge house, if it's small family. As basements are really good use for families, try getting one with laneway garage: something that can be built seperate for rental income.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
21739 posts
21353 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
Moving with a newborn, eh? I’ll say a little prayer for you. I did it. Never again.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2002
1926 posts
252 upvotes
Vancouver
GTA12345 wrote: Schools can be tricky. If a home seems a deal compared to others, you may have passed over the border from a desired school to not. Don't trust the realtor on schools, the borders are not straightforward, and vary depending catholic/public. Easy to mix the two up. Use their websites or if it's into Sept, call the school direct.
don't realtor.ca listing typically show the school that's in the catchment area?
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2020
4227 posts
5537 upvotes
chowder wrote: don't realtor.ca listing typically show the school that's in the catchment area?
MLS...not sure.

Housesigma lists the schools by distance, which can def be wrong, at least in York, and I'd not trust distance in Toronto personally. Closest doesn't mean youre in the boundary in York Catholic for ex, and esp true if you are near a Fr Imm only school. You can live across the street from a school in York Catholic that's Fr Imm, but if your kid is in the English stream, their school could be few km away.

I've also seen people mistake the local Public for their school when they desire Catholic. Or trust the listing details, written by an agent who assumed incorrectly with a school.

Toronto I'm not sure if there are similar border oddities, but given how imp it is to parents,, I'd always do due diligence.

Some of the school borders look like they were drawn by a JK student in the school. No rhyme or reason.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2014
5032 posts
5820 upvotes
bczk wrote: Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

Toronto central -- no suburbs yet (although may need to consider soon at these prices)!!
For under $2M in central Toronto, you will be looking at an older detached classic 2-storey if you are lucky to get one. Any new recent build will be in the $3M+ all the way up depending on where in central. Otherwise, semi's are going for up to $1.9M depending on renovation.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
49009 posts
10302 upvotes
Richmond Hill
My first thought was, with 2M why is OP asking this question? Then the mystery unfolds... :lol:
bczk wrote: Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

Tons of things for sale!
Silver Coins and Numismatics | Heatware
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10135 posts
10248 upvotes
bczk wrote: My partner and I have a newborn and are looking for a home in Toronto (sub $2m)...

THANKS!
with a 2M budget, you should be able to get into mid-town area, lots of choices and very good schools while still being in the city and getting all the amenities without having to move out into the burbs.

lots of young families. Blythwood PS for example is highly regarded, Davisville PS is being replaced etc
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
1498 posts
1033 upvotes
Milton
not in GTA but lots of new parents moving there
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7777 posts
948 upvotes
Toronto
Lots of young families in Bloor West Village/High Park North now. For up to two million the house won't by fully gutted and renovated but hopefully pretty updated floors/electrical/plumbing/windows/hvac/kitchen/bathrooms. Well rated schools but to me that just means parents spend time making sure their kids are up to date/ahead on their school work, spend on extra curriculars, tutors etc.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)