Personal Finance

What bank is best for someone working overseas remotely for Canadian company located in Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 22nd, 2021 9:38 am
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
14 posts

What bank is best for someone working overseas remotely for Canadian company located in Canada?

I apologize if the title is not clear .

Travling back and forth to the middle East . But I will be working for Canadian company that will deposite or ETR my pay biweekly .

I'd like to be able to withdraw the money or use a visa linked to the account ( US visa if possible ) this way I won't lose so much in conversion rate or extra fees .

I doubt that I will be doing other banking transaction other than why I mentioned .

Thank you .
7 replies
Deal Addict
May 7, 2017
1126 posts
666 upvotes
Assuming you won't have a Canadian address following should work

Solution 1: Keep a local non-resident chequing account in Canada just in case with one of the big banks. Use transferwise to move money back and forth.
Solution 2: HSBC Premier solution with Canadian and your middle eastern account linked to do global transfers.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6575 posts
3726 upvotes
Toronto
Are you just going to be travelling back and forth or will you actually be resident in the Middle East? Would you be able to open a bank account in the Middle East or are you just going to be living out of hotels in different cities/countries on an ad-hoc basis?

I would get a STACK card (for ATM withdrawals if any), and a no-FX fee credit card (like Brim). No real need to actually change your banking that much.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15244 posts
20521 upvotes
Vancouver
Manatus wrote: Are you just going to be travelling back and forth or will you actually be resident in the Middle East? Would you be able to open a bank account in the Middle East or are you just going to be living out of hotels in different cities/countries on an ad-hoc basis?

I would get a STACK card (for ATM withdrawals if any), and a no-FX fee credit card (like Brim). No real need to actually change your banking that much.
I was about to say exactly this!
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
14 posts
Thank you both for the replay
i am going to have a canadian address and can already have bank account in the middle east .
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
14 posts
Manatus wrote: Are you just going to be travelling back and forth or will you actually be resident in the Middle East? Would you be able to open a bank account in the Middle East or are you just going to be living out of hotels in different cities/countries on an ad-hoc basis?

just looked up BRIM and STACK .
if i understand this correctly , my employer can ETR my STACK account\email , and once i have a balance i can withdrawals the cash ?
i am going to need to open new bank account since i closed them the last time i was here .
what bank play nice with STACK and BRIM ?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6575 posts
3726 upvotes
Toronto
ractive wrote: just looked up BRIM and STACK .
if i understand this correctly , my employer can ETR my STACK account\email , and once i have a balance i can withdrawals the cash ?
i am going to need to open new bank account since i closed them the last time i was here .
what bank play nice with STACK and BRIM ?
I would use an online bank account, like EQ Bank (because it pays decent interest). Your employer pays your EQ bank account, you transfer money from EQ to STACK when you think you will need physical cash, but otherwise you just pay with your Brim card and pay your Brim bills (and any other bills you have) from EQ Bank.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)