what bank not charge nsf for pre authorized withdrawl. thx
6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d
13 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
47116 posts
10294 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
None. Unfortunately your bills have to be paid on time with either time or money management skills.

Or apply for overdraft protection.

https://www.ratehub.ca/chequing-account ... 3148091067

edit : sorry don't mean to sound condescending or anything! I was once a broke ass foo. I even lived in the ghetto.
I still earn relatively low wage. But I have good money and investment management skills.
So if its a living on the edge thing...

here are some tips! These can actually work for ANYONE just to keep organized.

Online banking alerts

- you can set it up to text alert you when your account dips down to a certain balance. I know when money is tight... $100 or $200 matters. That way you can prepare for anything that pops up.

-You can set up alerts to text you when there is a pre-authourized debit out of your account. That way you can check and see if there is enough money. If you cover it the same day before 10am, it will most likely not bounce NSF

-calculate how many bills you got in a month. Then setup pre-authourized debit to debit your account on the day of your pay check to set aside in a savings account for bills. That way you don't spend all your money by accident. I remember back when I was in the hood... You go grocery shopping and spend $100. Then a bill comes out and now you're negative $100. Trouble!!!
Example... your bills for the moth is $500... You get paid bi-weekly. Setup so every time you get a pay cheque... $250 gets transferred into a savings account.
That way... If you spend all your money... No problem. You got everything to cover your bills in the savings account.

Hm... Theres more... But thats more like not wasting money on things, or finding the best value.
Last edited by UrbanPoet on Sep 30th, 2021 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2012
1037 posts
467 upvotes
Trois-Rivières, QC
Not only would your bank charge you an NSF fee. The company that tried to withdraw the money may charge a fee as well. So even if hypothetically, there was a bank that waived an NSF fee, you would still be charged something for not having enough money in your account.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2002
4775 posts
1241 upvotes
kocoman wrote: what bank not charge nsf for pre authorized withdrawl. thx
Tangerine's overdraft protection gives you the ability to go negative, up to several thousand dollars, for no fee or interest as long as you pay it off that same day.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
20490 posts
5024 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
I use the Simplii LOC for outgoing payments.
You can overpay the LOC and the 'credit' amount is just 'free overdraft'.

Not all banks allow you to use an LOC in this manner.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2019
1493 posts
1805 upvotes
Jucius Maximus wrote: Not all banks allow you to use an LOC in this manner.
Only Simplii, CIBC, and TD.

Simplii's downside is their lack of branches and TD's downside is that they charge to send e-transfers from their LOC. So I'd say CIBC's LOC is the best free chequing account with a cheap overdraft that you can get.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
1975 posts
1447 upvotes
Montreal, QC
SLee wrote: Tangerine's overdraft protection gives you the ability to go negative, up to several thousand dollars, for no fee or interest as long as you pay it off that same day.
The only thing to watch out for is whereas Tangerine's own automatic transfers/payments and money rules happen in the morning which gives plenty of time to pay the money back into the chequing account, there is no guarantee on what time the transaction if done will happen.

I did a pull from my Tangerine account to another account and checked the balance at Tangerine at 9pm and it was still in the positive. Thinking that it wouldn't be taken out since the business day was over regardless of what part of Canada (institution's head office I was dealing with was in the Eastern time zone), I went to bed/sleep. As it turned out, the amount was then taken out of my Tangerine account at 11:00pm and I was dinged by the $5 charge (along with I believe the interest charge). This taught me that when doing a pull of the funds, make sure that I transfer the money immediately to my chequing account to cover the pull amount.
Aug 12, 2009
8 posts
2 upvotes
If you don’t have access to a LOC or another way of covering the fee, then my recommendation would be to do a stop payment with your bank online. There is a fee but it is lower than an NSF charged by your institution. The service provider will still charge you a fee.

Hope this helps!
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2005
2645 posts
140 upvotes
Calgary
I found tangerine very flexible. They charge $5 NSF and send an email. Pretty good if you forget to fund your account.
Life is life
When we all feel the power
Life is life
When we all feel the pain
Life is life
It's the feeling of the people
Life is life
It is the feeling of the land. Opus :razz:
Jul 21, 2020
63 posts
47 upvotes
I had set up a bill payment from Simplii to BMO MC (just the minimum balance) few weeks in advance. Then I forgot about it and paid the balance from Tangerine and didn't leave enough balance in Simplii Chequing (I rarely use Simplii). Well, Simplii charged me whooping $45 NSF fee. That was painful.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2004
2911 posts
162 upvotes
Calgary
hvwkzq wrote: No. EQ Bank and Neo Financial do not charge an NSF fee. It is just computers telling each other that there is not enough money to send and the banks are profiting off of this.
How would you know about the NSF from EQ bank if you were not charged the fee?

for Neo Finacinal is that a bank or a credit card? thx
6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
1928 posts
2505 upvotes
kocoman wrote: How would you know about the NSF from EQ bank if you were not charged the fee?

for Neo Finacinal is that a bank or a credit card? thx
Although EQ may not charge an NSF fee that is NOT the same thing as actually processing a payment when there are not sufficient funds. EQ can simply refuse to process the transaction.

Per EQ account agreement.

"You would he held responsible should any charges be incurred if debits cannot be processed due to insufficient funds or for any other reasons."
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
5566 posts
5760 upvotes
Vancouver
Depends on the exact type of transaction. I had an incident recently where I somehow mis-typed one digit in an EFT from HSBC to Tangerine to close out the account, and it was a few dollars over the amount actually in the account. HSBC called me to say they couldn't put it through, and charged a $40 NSF fee. I called them back, explained obvious typing error, they reversed the fee. I also called Tangerine. They said there should be no fee at their end if a deposit EFT was cancelled by the source bank (as opposed to a cheque deposit, where they do have an NSF fee). And indeed they just reversed the deposit a couple of days later with no fee.

So it appears you are more likely to be charged an NSF fee on a withdrawal, which would include a pre-authorized withdrawal, and it's more variable whether there would be a fee on a failed deposit or payment, depending on the destination. Also you would likely have some success getting these fees waived for a rare one-time occurrence, but not if you make a habit of it.

Personally I don't think overdraft protection is a good idea. The bank won't contact you in the case of a fraudulent transaction or a major error, they'll just put the transaction through. And then they'll likely charge you a fee and exorbitant interest until you find out about it.