Computers & Electronics

What is the best but less expensive internet provider in Surrey, BC area?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2020 10:50 pm
[OP]
Jun 16, 2018
10 posts
1 upvote
Tynehead, BC

What is the best but less expensive internet provider in Surrey, BC area?

Helping mom to get an internet provider in Surrey, BC area. I am located in Calgary and not that familiar what the current best deal available in that area.

Speed should be enough to stream youtube videos and netflix, and mild gaming with no latency or disconnection issues. Thanks in advance.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2005
4828 posts
71 upvotes
Local
Surf Internet. It uses same network as shaw. Have to pay with paypal. Cant do auto payments with credit card. You will probrably have to buy your own stuff like modem etc I mean pay for it...that is. It's very affordable but I started off early so I got a shitty IPTV box. They might provide better ones now. Also on an older 30mbps plan. Same price as the 75mbps...to upgrade I need to buy a new modem. I dont want to they made me buy this one already. Monthly payments for cable internet and phone is like $50-60 a month.
Dec 24, 2013
126 posts
190 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
This is going to be a bit long winded.... But, if the building your mom lives in happens to have service from Novus, go with them 110% their awesome and their pricing is on point.

If she is in a new development in south surrey, she may have limited options, if the residence was wired with TELUS PureFiber, you are currently restricted to service by TELUS only, no third party’s have network access yet.

Otherwise... there are a bunch of Shaw In-Home (Door to Door) Reps here on RFD... they typically have offers that matches or beats the pricing of these third party providers. If you pm me I can connect you with the rep who helped me out.

A few months ago we got Internet 300 for 54.99/Month and close to a $300 one-time bill credit, but we did have to sign a two year agreement. After two years the pricing will increase, but their loyalty department will likely extend it upon the threat of cancellation.

If you require low latency I would stay away from Surf just upon the basis of their “simple” backend with zero to limited redundancy and routing. All their traffic is being powered through a single backend provider, and unlike other carriers does not have a presence at the Vancouver Internet Exchange in Downtown.

Lightspeed/AEBC/CanCom/Cipherkey (All the same...) I found to be hopeless, during times of high network traffic I would get 15mb download on a Internet 300 plan. Their technical support departments are hopeless, and just lay the blame upon shaw, or your household wiring. Even when the connection was flawless before and after on Shaw. The 3MB DSL Connection at my work is more stable than their $#!T (I work in rural bc)

Vmedia doesn’t have a local network presence in BC so all traffic will be traveling to Ontario or Quebec; hence a increase in latency.

As far as third party providers I trust, and have no problems recommending... Techsavvy.
Dec 4, 2003
212 posts
22 upvotes
We are on Lightspeed and quite happy. It's 300/20 with modem rental and we pay $50/month. Pretty much always get those exact numbers, and sometimes higher. Been with them for maybe 1.75 years now. YMMV though.
May 19, 2009
676 posts
902 upvotes
Vancouver
DevenP097 wrote: A few months ago we got Internet 300 for 54.99/Month and close to a $300 one-time bill credit, but we did have to sign a two year agreement. After two years the pricing will increase, but their loyalty department will likely extend it upon the threat of cancellation.
I know this is a pretty old thread, so just wanted to chip in that threatening to cancel doesn't work and I tried it with both a regular customer service rep and the loyalty department rep (who works from home apparently). Best they could offer me is $75/mo for Internet 300. Decided not to waste my time with trying Telus, so I'm calling LightSpeed at the moment...