Automotive

What is the best deal on cars right now Dec 2019?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 19th, 2019 8:39 am
[OP]
Jan 28, 2008
317 posts
108 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

What is the best deal on cars right now Dec 2019?

I am looking for a new car for my old mom.
What is the best deal these days to buy a new car?
She is looking for monthly payment less than $300, financial, with any terms available, with no down payment.
She has a trade-in car worth about $2000.
22 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34475 posts
20498 upvotes
Center of Universe
Less than $300/month?
Probably one of Hyundai or Kia econoboxes.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
6625 posts
4616 upvotes
Kitchener
Mitsubishi Mirage or Nissan Micra.......both death traps, but probably under $300/month.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2007
2265 posts
1701 upvotes
Ottawa
Slim pickings at under $300/m. Best bet is probably leasing a high-volume, base trim compact econobox (Elantra, Forte, Corolla, Sentra).
Feb 20, 2015
250 posts
167 upvotes
Southern Ontario
$300/month with $0 down? Absolutely nothing. And if there is a vehicle that cheap, I wouldn't buy it. If that's all she can afford, she can't afford a new car.

Go look at something 4 years old. Many vehicles have shed 50% of their value by then. Civic and Corolla are probably the most reliable in the price range. 2015 Corolla goes for around $12,000-$13,000 give or take.

Make sure to go with her so she doesn't get ripped off. Find financing rates beforehand to see if you can get better than what the dealer is quoting you. Or buy privately and get your own financing.
Nov 13, 2016
426 posts
235 upvotes
I think you can negotiate a 2020 Elantra preferred trim for 60 months financing @0%, 2000 trade in for around $320 per month taxes in.
Thats a good car with lots of features, she will not be disappointed.

If you find a 2019 model, you might get it cheaper still.

CD
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
5831 posts
4512 upvotes
ccomkim wrote: I am looking for a new car for my old mom.
What is the best deal these days to buy a new car?
She is looking for monthly payment less than $300, financial, with any terms available, with no down payment.
She has a trade-in car worth about $2000.
Is she in Vancouver? Does she really need a car or just need a life style change? Gas cost is insane in BC.

If she has that tight of budget, may not be a bad idea to re-evaluate her life/retirement plan, preferably a carless one.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
2875 posts
3739 upvotes
Edmonton
You can easily get an Elantra for under $300 a month. Essential trim would be fine. You can get it under $300 even with 60 months financing if you have $2k to trade in.
[OP]
Jan 28, 2008
317 posts
108 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
kevin123456 wrote: what is wrong with her current car?
her current car is having an issue, I don't know what is, but she only told me that it will cost her $2000 to fix. She already paid $2000 earlier this year to fix that car. And the engineer advised her to just replace it because it is likely cause another problem in the near future.
[OP]
Jan 28, 2008
317 posts
108 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Thanks for the advise guys. I was told that this is the good season to buy a new car, but didn't know where to start.
I personally don't know why or what the car is for. She doesn't even want an used car. However, I have no choice but to help her as she has a very strong will to buy a new one.
I will advise her to look from Hyundai Elantra.
[OP]
Jan 28, 2008
317 posts
108 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Xtrema wrote: Is she in Vancouver? Does she really need a car or just need a life style change? Gas cost is insane in BC.

If she has that tight of budget, may not be a bad idea to re-evaluate her life/retirement plan, preferably a carless one.
Yeah, she's in Vancouver. Totally agreed with you on the cost of keeping a car.
Feb 20, 2015
250 posts
167 upvotes
Southern Ontario
ccomkim wrote: her current car is having an issue, I don't know what is, but she only told me that it will cost her $2000 to fix. She already paid $2000 earlier this year to fix that car. And the engineer advised her to just replace it because it is likely cause another problem in the near future.
Willing to bet her trade value will be $0 and the dealer won't even take the car if it has a preexisting issue that costs that much to fix. There goes her budget she wants to keep.

Look at something used. If someone can only afford $300/month, this means they can't afford to buy a new car. Getting into debt shouldn't be the answer to every problem when you can buy something half price, used.
[OP]
Jan 28, 2008
317 posts
108 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Gibsons wrote: Willing to bet her trade value will be $0 and the dealer won't even take the car if it has a preexisting issue that costs that much to fix. There goes her budget she wants to keep.

Look at something used. If someone can only afford $300/month, this means they can't afford to buy a new car. Getting into debt shouldn't be the answer to every problem when you can buy something half price, used.
Thank you sir! I totally agree with you on that. I am convincing her to get an used car instead. Let's see how it goes..
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
2875 posts
3739 upvotes
Edmonton
ccomkim wrote: Yeah, she's in Vancouver. Totally agreed with you on the cost of keeping a car.
I was looking into it more, if she is going to get a new car I would 100% get a 2020 Corolla L instead, it will last forever and depreciate way slower. Comes with all the safety tech standard. It has 60 months 1.09% financing. The extra money up front would still result in a lower cost of ownership. Cheers