Automotive

What is the best new or upcoming mainstream 3 row crossover?

• Last Updated:
  • May 25th, 2019 7:06 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
3129 posts
4197 upvotes
Edmonton

What is the best new or upcoming mainstream 3 row crossover?

I'm looking at getting a three row crossover this year.

Tell me which you think is the best and why.

Feel free to talk about 2020 models that aren't out yet as well. 2020 Explorer, 2020 Highlander, 2020 Palisade, etc.
54 replies
Jun 19, 2007
241 posts
89 upvotes
Mississauga
Last week tried to squeeze into 3rd row MDX 2019...... I don't think it is possible for an average adult. Have no problems riding in 3rd row of our 2011 Highlander.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6134 posts
4746 upvotes
I think it really depends on what you are looking for and at this point other than Telluride/Pallisade that has hit the streets, everyone is just bench racing.

Personally without seeing one in Person, Telluride seems pretty good in term of interior quality, infotainment and good size. But loses point for single exhaust and potential engine fire.

For occasionally 3rd row, CX-9 still get my vote for near luxury appointments and good driving dynamics.

For low center of gravity and generous 3rd row, I like Ascent. Also reasonably priced.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2013
1591 posts
1907 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
Xtrema wrote: I think it really depends on what you are looking for and at this point other than Telluride/Pallisade that has hit the streets, everyone is just bench racing.

Personally without seeing one in Person, Telluride seems pretty good in term of interior quality, infotainment and good size. But loses point for single exhaust and potential engine fire.

For occasionally 3rd row, CX-9 still get my vote for near luxury appointments and good driving dynamics.

For low center of gravity and generous 3rd row, I like Ascent. Also reasonably priced.
I'm interested in the Telluride simply because of the value / features. But what do you mean by potential engine fire issue? Any link to that please?
TFSA: XAW | RRSP: VEQT + VAB | Non-Reg: Dividend-paying individual stocks (tax purposes)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
6479 posts
1071 upvotes
CX-9 has the least space among those 3 rows SUVs. If you are really into using the 3rd row, you need to go for the Kia or Hyundai. I have a MDX and the 3rd row is really for kids only.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2007
1064 posts
491 upvotes
Torontario
Blubbs wrote: Definitely mainstream, thanks
It's mainstream for the luxury segment Smiling Face With Open Mouth
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
3129 posts
4197 upvotes
Edmonton
CX-9 can only tow 3500 lbs and it's hood is laughably long so it's probably out. Nice interior though.

I like the Telluride, and the Palisade even more other than the shifter. Telluride's in dash turn blind spot cameras are sweet.

White Telluride SX with Espresso Brown interior is pretty neat, saw it in person. It's a light brown retro look, and all the trim panels match, even the steering wheel.
Screen Shot 2019-05-14 at 9.58.39 AM.png
Last edited by Blubbs on May 14th, 2019 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35262 posts
21250 upvotes
Center of Universe
2020 XC90
Deal Fanatic
Dec 21, 2005
5399 posts
757 upvotes
Markham
Biased since we went with the Ascent (Limited trim with captains chairs)

Even better value now with the manufacturer’s rebate of $1500. Nearing 9 months of ownership and I’d still buy the Ascent after seeing/sitting in the Telluride and Palisade at the NAIAS.

Sorry only $1500 off per website
:idea: :) :lol: :razz: :D
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
3129 posts
4197 upvotes
Edmonton
charliebrown wrote: Biased since we went with the Ascent (Limited trim with captains chairs)

Even better value now with the manufacturer’s rebate of $2000. Nearing 9 months of ownership and I’d still buy the Ascent after seeing/sitting in the Telluride and Palisade at the NAIAS.
I think the Ascent interior may be best in class. I find it ugly on the exterior which is a big problem for me. Impressed with it's rating on CR. Can you tell me anything else about your experience with the vehicle?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6134 posts
4746 upvotes
Blubbs wrote: White Telluride SX with Espresso Brown interior is pretty neat, saw it in person. It's a light brown retro look, and all the trim panels match, even the steering wheel.
I remember seeing Sorento with nappa is nice but plastic is cheap. Being wasn't able to see this in person, the plastic grade look much better in picture.

I think it wins interior for the class.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
12076 posts
2221 upvotes
Mississauga
The Kia Telluride is getting a lot of good press these days. Apparently they are hard to get in the US with all the demand. Not sure if that's the situation here.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6134 posts
4746 upvotes
Talamasca wrote: The Kia Telluride is getting a lot of good press these days. Apparently they are hard to get in the US with all the demand. Not sure if that's the situation here.
I think they hit the jackpot with the design. A cross between an Escalade and Range Rover without too rip off-ish. Nice package, nice material, great infotainment. You know they will have more high strength steel than other brands. I think they do have a winner on their hands.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 21, 2005
5399 posts
757 upvotes
Markham
Blubbs wrote: I think the Ascent interior may be best in class. I find it ugly on the exterior which is a big problem for me. Impressed with it's rating on CR. Can you tell me anything else about your experience with the vehicle?
I think the exterior could grow on you — honestly didn’t look at the Ascent when we first started looking around this time last year. Interior is quite practical, luxurious & roomy (without having to drive a boat like the Atlas or Traverse)

The acceleration is great — lots of reviews point out that the Ascent has a CVT, but was pleasantly surprised by it. Ride is quiet even at highway/passing speeds

Value for money was the key for us — similarly equipped Pilot or Highlander would have been at least $50-52k + tax
:idea: :) :lol: :razz: :D
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
12076 posts
2221 upvotes
Mississauga
Xtrema wrote: I think they hit the jackpot with the design. A cross between an Escalade and Range Rover without too rip off-ish. Nice package, nice material, great infotainment. You know they will have more high strength steel than other brands. I think they do have a winner on their hands.
Yep, looks like it'll be a big hit. Nice styling inside and out, lots of tech and features, comfortable ride, lots of room and at a pretty good price point for the class, which many families are looking for.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35262 posts
21250 upvotes
Center of Universe
The Telluride and Pallisade are definitely in the running, but the Telluride SX has an MSRP of $51.8K!
At that price point, it would still be at the very bottom of my short list.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2006
1081 posts
600 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: The Telluride and Pallisade are definitely in the running, but the Telluride SX has an MSRP of $51.8K!
At that price point, it would still be at the very bottom of my short list.
May as well go for SXL. Air cooled second row seats? Plus, at least in my experience, Kia will get you very close to unhaggle price without too much haggling. Especially toward the end of summer when Telluride isn't the hot new thing anymore.