Cell Phones

What are the best plans/deals right now? (or in the future)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 20th, 2018 5:10 pm
[OP]
Feb 8, 2018
41 posts
5 upvotes
V6h2g1

What are the best plans/deals right now? (or in the future)

Hey guys, new to the entire phone plan industry just been with rogers for 2 years now off my parents, and I'm looking for the most value for your money-type plan. I want around 4 gb per month (more or less is fine) and unlimited or not for calling and texting doesn't matter. I would love a new phone with the deal as well, maybe around the S8, iphone 8, or pixel xl2. I believe I missed a lot of the deals that were going on for exactly what I need during the black friday sale. I am wondering what the best option is going forward for a newbie like me.

Again, thanks everyone. My budget would be around $60 per month.
19 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4960 posts
1840 upvotes
In the future? HAHAHA ... what a JOKE!

Somebody has a crystal ball to rub? Or your own??

Rub it ... see what it will tell you.

Or if you have a mirror on the wall ... MIRROR MIRROR ON THE WALL ... WHAT IS THE BEST CELLPHONE PLAN IN THE FUTURE THAT IS BEST OF ALL!!!
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
635 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Elluel wrote: Hey guys, new to the entire phone plan industry just been with rogers for 2 years now off my parents, and I'm looking for the most value for your money-type plan. I want around 4 gb per month (more or less is fine) and unlimited or not for calling and texting doesn't matter. I would love a new phone with the deal as well, maybe around the S8, iphone 8, or pixel xl2. I believe I missed a lot of the deals that were going on for exactly what I need during the black friday sale. I am wondering what the best option is going forward for a newbie like me.

It is right now probably Public Mobile BYOD (buy your own phone)
$45 DATA 2GB LTE plus TALK AND TEXT UNLIMITED.
I would not know the future. But I trust it will be more as all plans have increased in monthly fee.
Why not talk to Rogers and threaten to port out. See if they can give you a deal. But do not bet on it
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14467 posts
12383 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Great phone deals to be had in late March, which is around the corner.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Apr 17, 2014
953 posts
372 upvotes
Corunna, ON
Get a Fido data only plan. $15 a month 3 GIGS DATA. Then get a Google voice number for unlimited calling and texting. 1 gig overage at $10. Still only at $25.

Then with the $35 per month left over buy any phone you want.
[OP]
Feb 8, 2018
41 posts
5 upvotes
V6h2g1
Thanks everyone for the answers. Great deal of helpful information!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5347 posts
3809 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
If you're willing to go in store right now, Wireless Wave or Walmart, any third party retailer, they have the Chinese New Year deal which is the $60/6GB plan but I heard it's expiring very soon, probably tonight.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
25513 posts
4619 upvotes
proplayer44 wrote: Get a Fido data only plan. $15 a month 3 GIGS DATA. Then get a Google voice number for unlimited calling and texting. 1 gig overage at $10. Still only at $25.

Then with the $35 per month left over buy any phone you want.
Can I port my number to Google voice? If not, any cheap call forwarding services out there to forward all my calls to my Google voice number?
Apr 17, 2014
953 posts
372 upvotes
Corunna, ON
GV will be a US # so you can't port.

But you can port your Canadian number to VoIP.ms. Then you can forward all calls from your VoIP.ms number to your GV at 2 cents a minute.

That way you can make and receive all calls and texts using the Hangouts app. You just replace the "phone" icon with the "hangouts" icon on the desktop.

Another problem. The caller ID will be your US number.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
635 upvotes
NORTH YORK
proplayer44 wrote: Get a Fido data only plan. $15 a month 3 GIGS DATA.
The plan is not available at all now to any walk in client even with good credit
It was a grandfathered plan
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Nov 9, 2014
574 posts
260 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Elluel wrote: Hey guys, new to the entire phone plan industry just been with rogers for 2 years now off my parents, and I'm looking for the most value for your money-type plan. I want around 4 gb per month (more or less is fine) and unlimited or not for calling and texting doesn't matter. I would love a new phone with the deal as well, maybe around the S8, iphone 8, or pixel xl2. I believe I missed a lot of the deals that were going on for exactly what I need during the black friday sale. I am wondering what the best option is going forward for a newbie like me.

For $20 more you can get the Google Pixel 2 64 GB with a 35$ my Tab with a $50 plan, OR pay $490 with a $25 my Tab and a $50 plan with 5 GB unlmtd everything @ Freedom mobile.
Virgin Mobile $75 | 10GB Unl.| Unl. Canada Wide | Unlimited Text/Pic Msg | 75.00

Don't forget to hit the THANKS button if I've helped. Have a Great Day!
Deal Addict
May 7, 2012
1086 posts
501 upvotes
danieltoronto wrote: The plan is not available at all now to any walk in client even with good credit
It was a grandfathered plan
I think if you hang around the Fido data plan thread you can locate someone who is willing to transfer theirs.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2013
5686 posts
1424 upvotes
Manila, Philippines

No best plan in the future, just get what is the best in market plan now.

Freedom Mobile
Line 1 $50 20gb with 35% F&F LG Velvet
Line 2 $50 20gb with 35% F&F Samsung S21
Line 3 $65 20gb with 35% F&F iPhone 11
Line 4 $65 20gb with 35% F&F iPhone 11

[OP]
Feb 8, 2018
41 posts
5 upvotes
V6h2g1
PhonesGuy wrote: For $20 more you can get the Google Pixel 2 64 GB with a 35$ my Tab with a $50 plan, OR pay $490 with a $25 my Tab and a $50 plan with 5 GB unlmtd everything @ Freedom mobile.
urrg that's the tricky part for me. I may be moving around the country, and so I don't want to commit to freedom mobile as I heard they have bad service ranges. Is there any other providers where I can get a good flagship phone deal? Thanks.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
20706 posts
8928 upvotes
Toronto
Shaner wrote: Can I port my number to Google voice? If not, any cheap call forwarding services out there to forward all my calls to my Google voice number?
For Canadians, the best that we can do is add our Canadian number into the google account. Calls to the US google voice number will be forwarded to the Canadian number. The idea of the set up is that all you need to do is supply your google voice number to people, they will in turn call that number and google will forward calls to whatever number you put into the account for call to forward to. The convenience is that if you ever change your number or have multiple numbers, your contacts still only need to know your google voice number.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
20706 posts
8928 upvotes
Toronto
OP, I think you can get a 4 gig plan for $45. I was at the local Bestbuy on Saturday and the agent was flogging that plan as the best option at the moment. There is a discussion in the hot deals forum. If you are keen on the best ongoing deal, do some legwork and keep an eye on the hot deals forum yourself.
Nov 9, 2014
574 posts
260 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Elluel wrote: urrg that's the tricky part for me. I may be moving around the country, and so I don't want to commit to freedom mobile as I heard they have bad service ranges. Is there any other providers where I can get a good flagship phone deal? Thanks.
Freedom Mobile has great coverage across the country, providing an Away network that boasts Bell in the east, and Telus and Rogers in the west. You won't find anything cheaper.
Virgin Mobile $75 | 10GB Unl.| Unl. Canada Wide | Unlimited Text/Pic Msg | 75.00

Don't forget to hit the THANKS button if I've helped. Have a Great Day!
[OP]
Feb 8, 2018
41 posts
5 upvotes
V6h2g1
will888 wrote: OP, I think you can get a 4 gig plan for $45. I was at the local Bestbuy on Saturday and the agent was flogging that plan as the best option at the moment. There is a discussion in the hot deals forum. If you are keen on the best ongoing deal, do some legwork and keep an eye on the hot deals forum yourself.
Just got the deal. Thanks.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
21917 posts
3174 upvotes
Toronto
Elluel wrote: Just got the deal. Thanks.
Is the $45 for 4GB plan only Rogers? Or does Koodo have as well?

Looking to get my sister set up on this pricepoint plan...but her preference is Telus/Koodo...the areas she travels to, Rogers reception is spotty...

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0