Home & Garden

What is the best primer/sealer to switch from oil paint on exterior wood to latex?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 12th, 2021 9:25 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1721 posts
267 upvotes

What is the best primer/sealer to switch from oil paint on exterior wood to latex?

we have outdoor trim and wood on century home and getting tired of fixing paint issues here and their every year.

i scrape as much of old paint off as best i can but theirs always chunks of oil paint left on the wood.

i was wondering what the best quality primer i could use to cover that (before applyin the latex paint color of course that would go on top of the primer) to ensure best adhesion and long lasting?
15 replies
Nov 6, 2014
909 posts
1560 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
If you're tired of outdoor peeling paint..... go with Benjamin Moore exterior paint and primer. We tried many big box brands on our deck and it always peeled the first or 2nd year. Once we switched to two coats of BM.......it's been 5+ years and it still looks new. That said BM paint was more costly but well worth it in my humble opinion.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1721 posts
267 upvotes
fordmaple wrote: If you're tired of outdoor peeling paint..... go with Benjamin Moore exterior paint and primer. We tried many big box brands on our deck and it always peeled the first or 2nd year. Once we switched to two coats of BM.......it's been 5+ years and it still looks new. That said BM paint was more costly but well worth it in my humble opinion.
This stuff?

https://store.benjaminmoore.com/storefr ... art/p/K046
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
1743 posts
1931 upvotes
West GTA
Easy - oil based primer works great. I like Zinsser Cover Stain to cover the substrate, then I like SW Emerald Exterior for the topcoats. My personal belief is that BM is a bit expensive for what it is, though it's good paint. If you don't like SW Emerald (which is excellent), then Dulux Diamond exterior's also pretty good (though I haven't tried personally).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1721 posts
267 upvotes
grumble wrote: Easy - oil based primer works great. I like Zinsser Cover Stain to cover the substrate, then I like SW Emerald Exterior for the topcoats. My personal belief is that BM is a bit expensive for what it is, though it's good paint. If you don't like SW Emerald (which is excellent), then Dulux Diamond exterior's also pretty good (though I haven't tried personally).
can you paint over the oil based primer with latex paint?
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
1743 posts
1931 upvotes
West GTA
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: can you paint over the oil based primer with latex paint?
Yep, sure can. Oil-based primer will stick great to the wood and the leftover oil paint, and the water-based paint will stick great to the primer. Did something similar myself this week and basically painted my whole house this way a couple of years back
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1721 posts
267 upvotes
grumble wrote: Yep, sure can. Oil-based primer will stick great to the wood and the leftover oil paint, and the water-based paint will stick great to the primer. Did something similar myself this week and basically painted my whole house this way a couple of years back
what was the exact brand/name of that oil based primer you used. thank you in advance

foudn this homedepot:https://www.homedepot.ca/product/behr-p ... 1000402628
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
1743 posts
1931 upvotes
West GTA
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: what was the exact brand/name of that oil based primer you used. thank you in advance

foudn this homedepot:https://www.homedepot.ca/product/behr-p ... 1000402628
I use Zinsser Cover Stain or Zinsser Odorless. Both work great, Cover Stain works a touch better but it's got more fumes so I prefer Odorless indoors. The one you linked would be good as well I'm sure! Could also use Kilz Original, which is a classic. Just getting an oil-based primer will work great. Water based might work, but if you want maximum stick on oil-based substrate (and maximum hiding of substrate in general), oil-based is the best. Bit more annoying to put on, but works better in my opinion.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
1748 posts
783 upvotes
Toronto
+1 for Cover Stain. Stinks but works great!
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2012 posts
1796 upvotes
Ottawa
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: Thanks guys. The coverstains you like, these are oil bassd primers I presume?
Zinsser Cover Stain is the product name of a specific oil based primer offered by Rustoleum. It's not a category of primers.

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catal ... se-primer/

You can get it at literally any home improvement store, and a lot of 3rd party paint stores. Our local Benjamin Moore dealer even carries it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1721 posts
267 upvotes
grumble wrote: I use Zinsser Cover Stain or Zinsser Odorless. Both work great, Cover Stain works a touch better but it's got more fumes so I prefer Odorless indoors. The one you linked would be good as well I'm sure! Could also use Kilz Original, which is a classic. Just getting an oil-based primer will work great. Water based might work, but if you want maximum stick on oil-based substrate (and maximum hiding of substrate in general), oil-based is the best. Bit more annoying to put on, but works better in my opinion.
jacquesstrap wrote: +1 for Cover Stain. Stinks but works great!
Dynatos wrote: Zinsser Cover Stain is the product name of a specific oil based primer offered by Rustoleum. It's not a category of primers.

You can get it at literally any home improvement store, and a lot of 3rd party paint stores. Our local Benjamin Moore dealer even carries it.
thanks guys.

this is the oen? https://www.homedepot.ca/product/zinsse ... 1000123364

and its oiled based primer?

I thnk the reason why the paint ive put in in the past is always cause i used a latex water based primer. hopefully this stuff does the trick!

wish i could strat all over with this oil based primer, but would take forever to chisel and scrape off all that old paint.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2012 posts
1796 upvotes
Ottawa
grumble wrote: Yep, sure can. Oil-based primer will stick great to the wood and the leftover oil paint, and the water-based paint will stick great to the primer. Did something similar myself this week and basically painted my whole house this way a couple of years back
You can paint over an oil based primer with a latex paint.

Just don't paint over a water based primer with an oil based paint. Oil and water don't mix very well, so it won't last very long.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2012 posts
1796 upvotes
Ottawa
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: thanks guys.

this is the oen? https://www.homedepot.ca/product/zinsse ... 1000123364

and its oiled based primer?

I thnk the reason why the paint ive put in in the past is always cause i used a latex water based primer. hopefully this stuff does the trick!

wish i could strat all over with this oil based primer, but would take forever to chisel and scrape off all that old paint.
That's your problem if your paint is oil based. Don't put oil based paint on top of a water based primer. You're asking for trouble.

Yes, that product you linked is the one grumble referred to. It's an oil based primer.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1721 posts
267 upvotes
Dynatos wrote: That's your problem if your paint is oil based. Don't put oil based paint on top of a water based primer. You're asking for trouble.

Yes, that product you linked is the one grumble referred to. It's an oil based primer.
no no no. so their original oil based paint on the wood. i put water based latex primer from BM on top and then latex color paint on top of that.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1721 posts
267 upvotes
grumble wrote: I use Zinsser Cover Stain or Zinsser Odorless. Both work great, Cover Stain works a touch better but it's got more fumes so I prefer Odorless indoors. The one you linked would be good as well I'm sure! Could also use Kilz Original, which is a classic. Just getting an oil-based primer will work great. Water based might work, but if you want maximum stick on oil-based substrate (and maximum hiding of substrate in general), oil-based is the best. Bit more annoying to put on, but works better in my opinion.
jacquesstrap wrote: +1 for Cover Stain. Stinks but works great!
Dynatos wrote: Zinsser Cover Stain is the product name of a specific oil based primer offered by Rustoleum. It's not a category of primers.

the instrucitons on the cover stain says your not suppose to ues TSP to clean the surface before applying....yet im always taught to clean the surface with TSP before painting???
Jan 11, 2017
136 posts
66 upvotes
Cover stain is awesome and dries real fast, but it's oil based so there are extra costs related to cleanup and application. An alternative (which I would use) waterborne is to use insl-x stix which can be purchased at BM stores and has unmatched adhesion for water cleanup primers (easily on par with oil primers). Honestly anything from insl-x is a joy to work with, I love zinsser primers because they dry so fast but the cost is that they don't lay down very well and so a spray application is almost always required as well as extra sanding. Cover stain spray cans can't be beat for priming though. Large manual outdoor projects with oil based primers are very tough because your working paint will skin over very fast, a sprayer is always recommend to prevent this as well to maintain a consistent finish.

I would cap it with aluminum though.