Automotive

What is the best for roadside assistance company?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 28th, 2018 8:56 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 19, 2012
509 posts
103 upvotes
Montreal

What is the best for roadside assistance company?

Hi

I'm look around for a best deal for roadside assistance membership?

Anyone please susgest me a good deal and good service for roadside assistance. I'm quite not comfortable with the car I drive now.

TIA.
78 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 31, 2007
12581 posts
304 upvotes
Toronto
idk CAA? also looking for myself
One Man's Trash Is Another Man's Treasure
[OP]
Feb 19, 2012
509 posts
103 upvotes
Montreal
Dont you think CAA is a bit expensive??

I'm cheap but I don't want to pay for the tow. :S
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22186 posts
2834 upvotes
CAA probably not sure if they are the "BEST"
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
9298 posts
6712 upvotes
Kootenays
CAA membership has many benefits besides towing...locksmith, flat fix, travel insurance (very good coverage & great price) optional insurance (in BC at least), free maps, discounted attraction tickets, hotels & oil changes, inspection services, etc. Also, it's much easier to find a tow truck that honours CAA than Costco/Crappy Tire/TD Bank, etc. They also will tow 100km with a plus membership.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7575 posts
392 upvotes
Canada
smacd wrote: CAA membership has many benefits besides towing...locksmith, flat fix, travel insurance (very good coverage & great price) optional insurance (in BC at least), free maps, discounted attraction tickets, hotels & oil changes, inspection services, etc. Also, it's much easier to find a tow truck that honours CAA than Costco/Crappy Tire/TD Bank, etc. They also will tow 100km with a plus membership.
Costco allows for 8 tows per year (I think CA is only 4, but don't quote me on that). Also Costco tows up to 200km.

And finding a tow truck is not an issue since you don't call the tow truck companies directly. When I was with TD autoclub and called for a tow, I ended up with a CAA tow truck.

TD autoclub is also good, and comes free with the TD Gold Elite Visa. They also have similar benefits to CAA and tow up to 200km
He died for me, I live for him
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1347 upvotes
Steven001 wrote: Dont you think CAA is a bit expensive??

I'm cheap but I don't want to pay for the tow. :S
Not really...as with most things ...you get what your pay for.

I have a CAA Premier membership myself.
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Feb 23, 2013
499 posts
50 upvotes
NORTH YORK
I like my CAA membership. It is a bit more expensive, but if you use all of the benefits it offers you will end up saving money. It's all about what you need from a roadside assistance plan.
Oct 11, 2006
982 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
Put $5000 in the TD bank, get Select Service account, then get the complementary TD Gold Elite Visa Card, which comes with free North American Towing for up to 200km, 4 times a year I think.

Thats the cheapest way you can do if you can afford to lock your 5k
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
22435 posts
4187 upvotes
Niagara Falls
I did t do a lot of research when I went with crappy tire, but they had good towing distance and it was decently cheap. $99 for the year us one free oil change and 4 coupons for a 19.95 oil change.
Sep 19, 2004
700 posts
328 upvotes
Toronto
shannn wrote: http://www.costco.ca/Elite-Roadside-Ser ... 18714.html

Much better than CAA and cheaper (if you are Costco member)
EIGHT (8) Roadside Assistance dispatches

Up to eight roadside assistance dispatches per year are included with your membership, with towing up to 250 kilometers per incident!

I guess it is worth getting one.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
17164 posts
5583 upvotes
London
Td subcontracts to Sykes (along with some automakers roadside assistance like VW).Costco subcontracts to DAA

CAA, Sykes, DAA all subcontract out the actual tow trucks. If.you look on a CAA truck, you'll see the actual towing company name on the side like McCracken or JA

Although it might look like the same caa truck, the level of service provided will be based on their contract with your service provider and how much they pay the towing company.

Id stick with caa myself
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
2073 posts
567 upvotes
Woodbridge
You think CAA is expensive. But wait until those other contracted Road Side Assistance companies keep you in the side of the road for 1+ hour when CAA usually responds within 20-30 minutes.
I used to have the Costco one before switching to CAA.
[OP]
Feb 19, 2012
509 posts
103 upvotes
Montreal
so the costco one still have to wait for the tow truck longer than CAA ?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7575 posts
392 upvotes
Canada
I dunno what all this 1 hour wait talk is about.

I've used Costco and TD for a tow, never waited more than 30 minutes. My car has been having issues lately, and the 2 times we had to call this week, one tow truck from Costco came in 10 minutes, the other one came in 30 minutes. This is when calling from Ottawa, Manotik, and some small city outside of Mount Tremblant, Quebec. Maybe it's different in the GTA.

Obviously, during a snowstorm, regardless if you are with CAA, Costco or TD, you'll be waiting longer. I've had friends with CAA waiting over 1 hour for a tow during a storm.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2008
1058 posts
141 upvotes
Brampton
CAA covers you most of the other companies only cover the specific car
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7575 posts
392 upvotes
Canada
quanvn wrote: CAA covers you most of the other companies only cover the specific car
Costco and TD cover the person.
Sep 6, 2010
781 posts
94 upvotes
Waterloo
For TD, Gold Elite cardholders get unlimited service calls. Other TD Visa cardholders (added on for $79/year) get 6 service calls a year. TD vs CAA, TD is definitely cheaper. CAA however has many affiliates that give discounts for members.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
17164 posts
5583 upvotes
London
Steven001 wrote: so the costco one still have to wait for the tow truck longer than CAA ?
Costco subcontracts out to Dominion Auto Asssoc. (DAA) who in turn subcontracts out to a tow truck company. It depends on how much DAA pays their contractor vs. other auto clubs (i.e. who gets first priority) , how busy the towing company is (i.e. winter storm ?) and how far they have to drive to get to you (i.e. might need to wait several hours in some rural areas).

I've noticed that CAA sometimes has corporate discounts, so you should check with your employer, professional association, union, school, aluni assoc etc to see if there is a discount available. I think it's like 15% off for 1 year