Automotive

What is the best for roadside assistance company?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 28th, 2018 8:56 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2010
1999 posts
416 upvotes
Ottawa
It's more than 100km with plus - It was 160km for years and it looks like they have changed it recently. On another note the 200 kms is only for Eastern Ontario. Whatever the 'Plus' covers in the area you are in they will only tow THAT distance. I found out the hard way when I was in Montreal and they said they wouldn't tow all the way to Ottawa (it was 160km) back then. I spent hours on the phone arguing with Montreal office and Ottawa office until they agreed to tow the entire way without paying more.

"CAA North & East Ontario's PLUS Membership provides for the delivery of Emergency Road Service, from the nearest CAA/AAA facility, up to 200 kilometers in CAA North & East Ontario territory in any direction from the point of breakdown to the repair facility of your choice..." http://caaneo.ca/automotive/index.jsp?caaUrl=caa-plus
smacd wrote: CAA membership has many benefits besides towing...locksmith, flat fix, travel insurance (very good coverage & great price) optional insurance (in BC at least), free maps, discounted attraction tickets, hotels & oil changes, inspection services, etc. Also, it's much easier to find a tow truck that honours CAA than Costco/Crappy Tire/TD Bank, etc. They also will tow 100km with a plus membership.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2010
1999 posts
416 upvotes
Ottawa
I just checked out Costco and it looked like a good deal at $62 for the entire family http://www.costco.ca/Elite-Roadside-Ser ... 18714.html.
However, when I went to DAA's website who is the service provider I found a deal breaker as they will only tow up to 200 km to the nearest garage. They don't even guarantee that they will have the parts or they or if it is specialty repairs. You are losing the money you saved on the road assistance as soon as you use them as you can't take it to your mechanic. "Do not pass go, do not collect $100 and go directly to the nearest mechanic..." 1 hours labour will eat up your supposed savings. Never mind about the quality of the work by the shop since you can't choose. I was stuck in Montreal and had CAA tow me to Ottawa since I live there. The 200 kms they claim they will tow you is useless.

(f) Towing due to Mechanical Breakdown: should a Memberís vehicle not be fit to operate safely under its own power following a
mechanical breakdown, it will be towed to the nearest qualified repair facility (within 160 km for Roadside Assist Gold and Silver
Memberships and within 15 km for Roadside Assist Bronze Membership) from the place of breakdown.
(g) Qualified Facility: A qualified facility is defined as a garage or service station which employs a licensed mechanic with capabilities of
providing automobile repairs during their normal operating/business hours. No guarantee may be given on the availability of parts
and/or specialty repairs.
http://www.daa.ca/downloads/DAA_road_guide_en_3.pdf

CAA Plus lets you go anywhere withing your allowable kms

"CAA North & East Ontario's PLUS Membership provides for the delivery of Emergency Road Service, from the nearest CAA/AAA facility, up to 200 kilometers in CAA North & East Ontario territory in any direction from the point of breakdown to the repair facility of your choice..." http://caaneo.ca/automotive/index.jsp?caaUrl=caa-plus

You get what you pay for... That being said I have had problems with CAA in the past but I always get what I want or need in the end. If you are that frugal on paying get a CAA Mastercard and you get a % back on your CAA membership each year!
Feb 19, 2012
509 posts
105 upvotes
Montreal
Lumber-jack wrote: I just checked out Costco and it looked like a good deal at $62 for the entire family http://www.costco.ca/Elite-Roadside-Ser ... 18714.html.
However, when I went to DAA's website who is the service provider I found a deal breaker as they will only tow up to 200 km to the nearest garage. They don't even guarantee that they will have the parts or they or if it is specialty repairs. You are losing the money you saved on the road assistance as soon as you use them as you can't take it to your mechanic. "Do not pass go, do not collect $100 and go directly to the nearest mechanic..." 1 hours labour will eat up your supposed savings. Never mind about the quality of the work by the shop since you can't choose. I was stuck in Montreal and had CAA tow me to Ottawa since I live there. The 200 kms they claim they will tow you is useless.

(f) Towing due to Mechanical Breakdown: should a Memberís vehicle not be fit to operate safely under its own power following a
mechanical breakdown, it will be towed to the nearest qualified repair facility (within 160 km for Roadside Assist Gold and Silver
Memberships and within 15 km for Roadside Assist Bronze Membership) from the place of breakdown.
(g) Qualified Facility: A qualified facility is defined as a garage or service station which employs a licensed mechanic with capabilities of
providing automobile repairs during their normal operating/business hours. No guarantee may be given on the availability of parts

You get what you pay for... That being said I have had problems with CAA in the past but I always get what I want or need in the end. If you are that frugal on paying get a CAA Mastercard and you get a % back on your CAA membership each year!

WOW Thanks a lot to save my money.

I'm nearly buy a costco but when I saw this I'm change my mind. Before I thought it tow up to 200 km to my choice.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2008
1655 posts
209 upvotes
Toronto
Lumber-jack wrote: I just checked out Costco and it looked like a good deal at $62 for the entire family http://www.costco.ca/Elite-Roadside-Ser ... 18714.html.

ive seen you post this before. have you purchased ths service in the past and had a bad experiance? Please show us soem people who have had issues with where there car was towed.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 15, 2007
6257 posts
185 upvotes
Edmonton
CsG wrote: For TD, Gold Elite cardholders get unlimited service calls. Other TD Visa cardholders (added on for $79/year) get 6 service calls a year. TD vs CAA, TD is definitely cheaper. CAA however has many affiliates that give discounts for members.
Does the Infinite card gets the same benefits as well? It's a "better" card than the Gold Elite right?
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2005
1085 posts
214 upvotes
Aurora
redzone wrote: ive seen you post this before. have you purchased ths service in the past and had a bad experiance? Please show us soem people who have had issues with where there car was towed.
It was from this thread; costco-elite-roadside-service-family-pa ... a-1267651/

I called DAA as well and this is what they told me;
chronos wrote: I called and asked them to clarify the "nearest, appropriate repair facility within 250km". If you break down in the middle of nowhere, they will tow you to the nearest facility even if your preferred facility is within the 250km limit. However, if you break down say in the middle of Toronto and there are shops all over the place, you could specify a particular facility within about 20km. Anything beyond that you'd have to pay the difference. The guy basically said they're a bit more lenient with the towing rules if you don't break down in the boonies :razz:
This, for me, is a dealbreaker, which is why I went with CAA Plus.
Sep 6, 2010
789 posts
99 upvotes
Waterloo
napoleon1769 wrote: Does the Infinite card gets the same benefits as well? It's a "better" card than the Gold Elite right?
They target two different groups. The travel cardholders need to enroll ($79/year) for the Auto Club, and get 6 service calls per year vs Gold Elite cardholders. The travel card gives 1.5% back in travel points vs 1% cashback of the Gold Elite though. More travel benefits too.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2004
1710 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
chronos wrote: It was from this thread; costco-elite-roadside-service-family-pa ... a-1267651/

I called DAA as well and this is what they told me;

This, for me, is a dealbreaker, which is why I went with CAA Plus.

did you call DAA yourself? when did you call them? I myself got the costco membership about 1 month ago. before i joined, i emailed DAA and they told me i can tow to my preferred shop. which is completely different from your answer.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7575 posts
396 upvotes
Canada
They allowed me to tow to my mechanic on the East side of Ottawa when I broke down in Manotick with Costco
He died for me, I live for him
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2010
1999 posts
416 upvotes
Ottawa
You couldn't have seen me post this before because I never did... Wasn't me my friend... I just found out about Costco and DAA last night myself. It's kinda hard to talk about something that I never new existed until now... When I read this thread last night it took me all of a couple of minutes to research this. I don't think I have to show you people with bad experiences. Don't you think that showing what their policy actually 'IS' is enough? Thanks for saying "please" though!
redzone wrote: ive seen you post this before. have you purchased ths service in the past and had a bad experiance? Please show us soem people who have had issues with where there car was towed.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2010
1999 posts
416 upvotes
Ottawa
I am not disputing that you didn't get a tow from Manotick to East side of Ottawa but you said it yourself they "allowed" you to. Wasn't that nice of them? In case anyone doesn't realize, Manotick is a small town with a population of approx 4000 people about 25km from Ottawa; not exactly a booming town. I wonder if they would have allowed you to take it to "East side of Ottawa" if you were in Kanata (west side of Ottawa). I am not trying to knock you down but I am just stating the facts that their policy doesn't "allow" you to choose the garage of your choice within the set amount of km's. Best of luck to anyone who thinks they are getting a better deal though - it's your money and you can do with it what you choose.
shannn wrote: They allowed me to tow to my mechanic on the East side of Ottawa when I broke down in Manotick with Costco
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2010
1999 posts
416 upvotes
Ottawa
And Clinton said "I did not have relations with that women Ms. Lewinsky..."

When you called them did you get the person's name and employee number that told you that you "can tow to my preferred shop"? Because it clearly states on their website their policy and you can't do that. My point is how much good it that phone conversation going to do you when you need a tow and they tell you that you can't do what "that person said on the phone..." Especially when it clearly states in writing something different.
666 wrote: did you call DAA yourself? when did you call them? I myself got the costco membership about 1 month ago. before i joined, i emailed DAA and they told me i can tow to my preferred shop. which is completely different from your answer.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2007
6814 posts
581 upvotes
I've easily saved double my membership fees by using the CAA discount on hotels. It's minimum 10% everywhere, sometimes more. Lots of discounts on attractions and shows too

Even if I had costco or TD for the towing, I'd get CAA for the discounts too
Banned
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
3019 upvotes
keenland
I tow for caa and have towed for the others...basically...caa is the best , most honest and will generally try to help you...the others..well..wben they tell a tow truck that he can only get paid for towing you local...good luck...try finding someone at costco, daa , sykes to remedy this...I been through it...get ready to pay...if u are caa..they take you ..wherever u wany..no questions...even further than your coverage depending on your situation...but 24/7 they are always there , no bull , no 2nd or third parties to deal with either...roadside is their business..costco, ctc ..td...whatever are just there to sell you something
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2010
1999 posts
416 upvotes
Ottawa
While I have had my own problems over the years with CAA and their own tow truck drivers they are the best IMO. I can only imagine what it would be like using a private local company as some of the drivers own their truck and in fact work for themselves and not the local company. However, just because you are with CAA doesn't mean that you will get CAA as if they are too busy they do subcontract (there is pros and cons to this). Not that it matters to some but I believe the drivers are unionized too right? If the company pays and treats their employees well it should hopefully trickle down to the consumer.
cardguy wrote: I tow for caa and have towed for the others...basically...caa is the best , most honest and will generally try to help you...the others..well..wben they tell a tow truck that he can only get paid for towing you local...good luck...try finding someone at costco, daa , sykes to remedy this...I been through it...get ready to pay...if u are caa..they take you ..wherever u wany..no questions...even further than your coverage depending on your situation...but 24/7 they are always there , no bull , no 2nd or third parties to deal with either...roadside is their business..costco, ctc ..td...whatever are just there to sell you something
Banned
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
3019 upvotes
keenland
just to clarify...caa does NOT own any tow trucks...EVERY tow truck is under contract...no drivers are unionized in sw ontario...because of some recent changes in the business model..u will start to see more sub standard drivers...in gta (miss, bram vaughn and toronto) there are 4 major contractors.. (stellar roadside = toronto east, towtal roadside (trs) = WEST T.O and miss...JA = bram...freeway =vaughn) of these caa has actual ownership of stellar roadside...the rest are minor backup contracts...they have high standards that service drivers must adhere to..but as pay goes lower..so do the standards...in all still good service and you always have recourse with head office
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2011
1290 posts
519 upvotes
cardguy wrote: I tow for caa and have towed for the others...basically...caa is the best , most honest and will generally try to help you...the others..well..wben they tell a tow truck that he can only get paid for towing you local...good luck...try finding someone at costco, daa , sykes to remedy this...I been through it...get ready to pay...if u are caa..they take you ..wherever u wany..no questions...even further than your coverage depending on your situation...but 24/7 they are always there , no bull , no 2nd or third parties to deal with either...roadside is their business..costco, ctc ..td...whatever are just there to sell you something
Recent experience from CAA towing (17-Apr).

Myself and my friend parked car in buffalo airport and went to orlando. While returning, 20 miles before Canadian border friend car broke (around 11:30 PM). We called CAA and within 30 mins AAA came and towed his car till Canadian border. Within 5 mins reaching border, CAA came and towed car, dropped family at home (Newmarket), dropped car in the garage and dropped my friend at home.

They were very helpful ...
Jan 26, 2014
2 posts
Canadian Tire subcontracts to Willliance, responding time is quite long, 1-1.5 hours . but the membership fee is cheap, less than $30 per year. [/I]
Dec 17, 2006
40 posts
28 upvotes
WARNING....

TD Roadside service made a major change to their policy at some point in the last while.

I was a big fan for years as they had a 200k towing limit with unlimited tows..

I have a classic car and motorcycle that do have issues time to time and I NEED quality service. Often TD sent a truck that had the CAA logo anyway..

However, yesterday, the let me down in a way that makes me sick to my stomach...

I was out for a drive with a fellow classic car enthusiast and was about 100km from one of the only garages that is capable of servicing my car when the clutch went. I almost always stay within 200k of this shop as I KNOW that's the towing limit ... Or so I thought.

I told my buddy to keep going because I was happy and comfortable with that fact that TD Auto club would cover me.

To my shock and horror the CS rep says "sir, you are covered to 200k or the nearest service center, whichever is closer"

The "closest" garage she was referring to is a small town garage that closes at 1pm on Sat (its currently 2:30pm on sat) and the people at that garage would have no idea what to do with this car..

This turns into a 30 min "discussion" at which point I insist to speak to a supervisor, she at first refuses (unbelievable) and then finally does.

But then after arguing with this "supervisor" for almost an hour, he finally admits that in fact he is not a supervisor!!! and continues to REFUSE to let me speak to one.

Also, he kept repeating to me that "TD auto club has ALWAYS had the same policy" and ignored me when I explained that I have towed cars/bikes much further is the past. (my record was 180km and it was covered by TD) They directly lied to me 3 times.

1. she said hold for a supervisor
2. he at no point, till I caught him mentioned that he was not a supervisor
3. they both claimed that the "nearest service centre" clause has ALWAYS been there.

The best they would do is cover the hookup and the first 5km and told me I had to pay the rest, 100km @ $4/km = $400

In the end I purchased a new CAA membership for $120 plus I had to pay a $130 fee to waive the normal 48 hour hold period. Total about $250, but that's better then $400 for one tow.

I have been a big customer of TD for many personal and business services in the past and this is not the first terrible CS issue I has experienced, however it is one that has pushed me over the edge and next week I intend to take my entire business and personal banking portfolio and shop around for a new bank.

Moving on!
Ben

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)