Home & Garden

What is the best way to cover the power cable on walkway ?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 31st, 2019 1:29 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8937 posts
718 upvotes

What is the best way to cover the power cable on walkway ?

I am trying to wire and power up some Halloween decorations or eventually Christmas lighting on the front lawn, and the power cable has to pass by a 3 ft wide walkway in front of the porch (where the power plug is) to the front lawn. I wonder what is the best way to cover the power cable on walkway interlocking floor without tripping people and being cut by snow blower.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Note: I know I could lift up the interlocking stones and hide the cable below. But I am trying to see if there is other option.
12 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2395 posts
1366 upvotes
Alliston, ON
Can you run the cable at the edge of a step then use a cable cover to keep it hidden?
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10069 posts
5328 upvotes
Paris
Cable cover was my idea too.
Feb 7, 2006
431 posts
160 upvotes
I plan to put up Xmas lights too but concerned about the snow or ice getting into the extension cord or plug. Is this an electrical concern?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8937 posts
718 upvotes
schade wrote: Can you run the cable at the edge of a step then use a cable cover to keep it hidden?
There is a 3 ft wide walkway in front of the porch that the cable needs go over before landing on the lawn.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2395 posts
1366 upvotes
Alliston, ON
rdx wrote: There is a 3 ft wide walkway in front of the porch that the cable needs go over before landing on the lawn.
I understand that. If you run tge cable right where the porch and walkway meet, then use a cable cover like i linked to, to keep the cord covered and less of a trip hazzard

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8937 posts
718 upvotes
schade wrote: I understand that. If you run tge cable right where the porch and walkway meet, then use a cable cover like i linked to, to keep the cord covered and less of a trip hazzard

The walkway is horizontally across the porch, and the cable needs to go across the walkway to the lawn, so the cable cover will be going across the walkway as well, can't hide beside the step like your photo.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2836 posts
1308 upvotes
Mississauga
I have a large porch mat which I throw over the cables
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8937 posts
718 upvotes
bubuski wrote: I have a large porch mat which I throw over the cables
I am not concerned about the porch area as the cable can be hidden at the edge there. Again , I am talking about the walkway .
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2836 posts
1308 upvotes
Mississauga
rdx wrote: I am not concerned about the porch area as the cable can be hidden at the edge there. Again , I am talking about the walkway .
I use the mat on my walkway during Halloween. Looks just like this with the rubber on the sides and back.

Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8305 posts
1878 upvotes
Ontario
rdx wrote: I am not concerned about the porch area as the cable can be hidden at the edge there. Again , I am talking about the walkway .
Without knowing your layout, is it possible to take a longer route and avoid the walkway? E.g., instead of a direct path to the yard, go a longer way using a less traveled part of the walkway (e.g., side of your home) to get to the lawn?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
6659 posts
2984 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Post pics so can better visualize.

We usually incorporate plumbing pipe foam covers, hooking onto trees [putting led lights there anyways] and porch railings/posts along with mats.
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.