Home & Garden

What is the best "Yard tool" battery ecosystem to get into?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 10th, 2020 1:34 pm
[OP]
Mar 14, 2010
102 posts
176 upvotes
Toronto

What is the best "Yard tool" battery ecosystem to get into?

Hello,

I'm an avid Ridgid tool user but sadly Ridgid doesn't seem to get into the yard tools at all.

I'm looking to power a blower, hedge trimmer and possibly a string trimmer.

What is the most reliable and "best" tool ecosystem to start up with?

Thanks! :)
10 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2014
1205 posts
2176 upvotes
0 downvotes (Maple,O…
Milwaukeee / Dewalt
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8038 posts
9012 upvotes
Montréal
I am not into battery tools, but heard very good things about Ego... search the forums
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1500 posts
913 upvotes
ottawa
DoorCrasher wrote: I am not into battery tools, but heard very good things about Ego... search the forums
Depends on budget. I went 40v Ryobi - if I needed a battery snowblower it'd be ego, but for average Joe I find Ryobi is insane value. 40v, not 18v.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11946 posts
7118 upvotes
Paris
barqers wrote: Depends on budget. I went 40v Ryobi - if I needed a battery snowblower it'd be ego, but for average Joe I find Ryobi is insane value. 40v, not 18v.
Ive tried most of them (not the Dewalt stuff) and value for money is Ryobi 40v. Best of the best is Stihl, but be prepared to take out a second mortgage for their stuff.
[OP]
Mar 14, 2010
102 posts
176 upvotes
Toronto
Jerico wrote: Ive tried most of them (not the Dewalt stuff) and value for money is Ryobi 40v. Best of the best is Stihl, but be prepared to take out a second mortgage for their stuff.
How does Ryobi 40v compare to Ego products?
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11946 posts
7118 upvotes
Paris
changetomorrowtoday wrote: How does Ryobi 40v compare to Ego products?
Ego and Echo are more money and have less overall tools last I checked. I haven’t driven a modern Ego, but the Echo was outstanding but not for cost vs value for me on a standard city lot. I do have a 56v Echo chainsaw though. Longer bar than the 16” Ryobi 40volt and nearly indistinguishable from gas.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
2421 posts
3187 upvotes
West GTA
Ego's tools are the best battery options, but if you don't care about a mower or snowblower then their hand tools are likely overkill. Ryobi 40v is likely the best value for light use.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 6, 2004
6830 posts
540 upvotes
GT'eh
changetomorrowtoday wrote: How does Ryobi 40v compare to Ego products?
not even close, we use Ego exclusively and have most of their line up, Ego tools are comparable or better than most mid to high end gas tools with less hassle and maintenance sand they start every time. They are also launching a battery-powered quad battery ride on mower in late 2021. If you want to play with power you can try EGO's commercial line. Once you have a few decent batteries the most tools are inexpensive. Not sure the size of your yard or needs are Ego might be over kill.
They also hold value well and easy to resell & can't beat that 5 year warranty.
Ne0's Bio:
➡Retired [email protected] & t3<h [0nn0!ss3ur ??? Spitting t3<hy lingo since the early 90's ➡Member of Crazy Group Buys ??? ➡ Feedback: eBay|1000+ ??? rFD | 300+
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2001
5866 posts
1348 upvotes
rural ontario
I have a Toro blower
56v EGO lawn mower
80v Kobalt snow blower
black and decker string trimmer
ryobi hedge trimmer

i'm eyeing greenworks to round out my battery collection
72 69 6c 6c 65 73
[OP]
Mar 14, 2010
102 posts
176 upvotes
Toronto
Neovingian wrote: not even close, we use Ego exclusively and have most of their line up, Ego tools are comparable or better than most mid to high end gas tools with less hassle and maintenance sand they start every time. They are also launching a battery-powered quad battery ride on mower in late 2021. If you want to play with power you can try EGO's commercial line. Once you have a few decent batteries the most tools are inexpensive. Not sure the size of your yard or needs are Ego might be over kill.
They also hold value well and easy to resell & can't beat that 5 year warranty.
That's good to hear. It sounds like even their standard lines are almost commercial grade, which is a huge plus. My biggest concern is battery life and long-term durability, so it seems like Ego would be much better for that than most other brands simply based on the reputation they have here.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)