• Jul 6th, 2020 3:52 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 18, 2012
529 posts
258 upvotes
Toronto

What bugs are these?

Found 4 of them, 2 dead two alive, in our master washroom on the 2nd floor of a house. Never seen these before

These were flat and tiny, so had to zoom and take this photo

Any help pls.
Images
  • 013E11E6-907A-40CA-B752-E1FB691B98C3.jpeg
18 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14948 posts
11383 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Yep! Those are BED BUGS!!!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Jul 18, 2012
529 posts
258 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks guys, I am confused as to why they are in the bathroom only?

I just checked all the beds in our house and couldn’t find a trace of them.

Do the beg bugs also crawl up the drain or something?

Nobody in the house has complained of bites, yet. At what point should I be getting professionals to come in?
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14948 posts
11383 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
When you see them on a daily basis.
robbiemurray wrote: Thanks guys, I am confused as to why they are in the bathroom only?

I just checked all the beds in our house and couldn’t find a trace of them.

Do the beg bugs also crawl up the drain or something?

Nobody in the house has complained of bites, yet. At what point should I be getting professionals to come in?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1485 posts
899 upvotes
ottawa
Cheapo-Findo wrote: When you see them on a daily basis.
I don't know if I would wait... These things are almost indestructible they'll hide behind baseboards, behind outlet cover plates, in seams in beds, literally everywhere.

Do not let these guys multiply seriously. We've had apartments offline for half a year trying to treat these things, look at all the government offices having to shut down because of it.

Up to you but this is the one pest I would not hesitate to treat immediately. Anything else even roaches I'd be fine trying on my own but not these ones.
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10383 posts
10654 upvotes
Toronto
Biologist here, I am 99.5% certain that's a bedbug.

Bed bugs don't just live on beds, although they probably prefer that. They also live in furniture, specifically wooden furniture.

I would get an exterminator immediately, until it is too late. This is serious, this isn't something you want to doodle on.
[OP]
Jul 18, 2012
529 posts
258 upvotes
Toronto
Anikiri wrote: Biologist here, I am 99.5% certain that's a bedbug.

Bed bugs don't just live on beds, although they probably prefer that. They also live in furniture, specifically wooden furniture.

I would get an exterminator immediately, until it is too late. This is serious, this isn't something you want to doodle on.
Thanks - found a few now (4), in our walk in, and on the ceiling - these were live. So I’ve bagged them for now. Fairly certain these are bed bugs, and have started calling the exterminators. Reading online, sounds like horror stories.

We seem to be catching adult ones - and reading up it takes 2 months from eggs to full growth - so we had this enter our house somehow 2 months ago? In quarantine we’ve had kids play in the back yard mostly. Not had anyone enter the house for a long time - so very, very surprised to have this occur in our house now.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
3396 posts
643 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
Man oh bloody man. Been through TWO bedbug infestations. I am a clean freak. I clean all. the. time. We picked them up from neighbouring apartments. I absolutely. do. not. wish. these . on anybody. It is no word of a lie, pure hell to rid your home of these. O/p, pay what you must to nip this now. If you are in a single family home, you stand a much better chance of eradicating these than in multi unit dwellings. I wish you bonne chance o/p.
[Signature removed due to rule violation]
[OP]
Jul 18, 2012
529 posts
258 upvotes
Toronto
willdacanucker wrote: Man oh bloody man. Been through TWO bedbug infestations. I am a clean freak. I clean all. the. time. We picked them up from neighbouring apartments. I absolutely. do. not. wish. these . on anybody. It is no word of a lie, pure hell to rid your home of these. O/p, pay what you must to nip this now. If you are in a single family home, you stand a much better chance of eradicating these than in multi unit dwellings. I wish you bonne chance o/p.
Thanks - that’s two independent infestations, or the continuation of the same?

Wife is certainly freaked out, and she is a near germophobe. Being a Saturday, we probably won’t have anyone coming in till Monday/Tuesday next week to assess. I certainly don’t mind throwing money at this problem to make it go away.

What’s puzzling - to my post above - we haven’t really been out or had many people come in over the past couple of months. We had couple of contractors come in, as we are finishing our basement, for assessment and price quotes. We had the kids go to the backyard and play. But apart from that its been pretty much us, in quarantine. So very, very surprised how this has happened.

Also, we fear this might be a worse problem than we think - given we found about 8-9 of these either dead on the ground or on the walls/ceilings in about an hour (when we were actually looking) during the day. Most of them are around our bedroom - master washroom and walk in closet. Given these are nocturnal, I fear there might be many more stacked somewhere we haven’t been able to check.

That said, no one is bit in the house. No one is itching. We checked all the beds, and havent’ found any dark spots (their poop) or skins. There are no blood stains in any of the sheets.

All we can do right now is sit tight and hope for a full assessment by the pros. This wasn’t an expense I was expecting, and is very unfortunate. But such is life.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1485 posts
899 upvotes
ottawa
robbiemurray wrote: Thanks - that’s two independent infestations, or the continuation of the same?

Wife is certainly freaked out, and she is a near germophobe. Being a Saturday, we probably won’t have anyone coming in till Monday/Tuesday next week to assess. I certainly don’t mind throwing money at this problem to make it go away.

What’s puzzling - to my post above - we haven’t really been out or had many people come in over the past couple of months. We had couple of contractors come in, as we are finishing our basement, for assessment and price quotes. We had the kids go to the backyard and play. But apart from that its been pretty much us, in quarantine. So very, very surprised how this has happened.

Also, we fear this might be a worse problem than we think - given we found about 8-9 of these either dead on the ground or on the walls/ceilings in about an hour (when we were actually looking) during the day. Most of them are around our bedroom - master washroom and walk in closet. Given these are nocturnal, I fear there might be many more stacked somewhere we haven’t been able to check.

That said, no one is bit in the house. No one is itching. We checked all the beds, and havent’ found any dark spots (their poop) or skins. There are no blood stains in any of the sheets.

All we can do right now is sit tight and hope for a full assessment by the pros. This wasn’t an expense I was expecting, and is very unfortunate. But such is life.
Unfortunately they can transfer really easily if any of those contractors stepped on some eggs and they fell off in your place even if just a couple survived that's your transmission route. That's why anytime I enter apartments for walkthroughs I wipe my shoes vigorously on the grass/gravel/pavement when I exit.

Sorry this happened to you op but you seem to have caught it early so that's a silver lining!!
Dec 9, 2013
743 posts
689 upvotes
Toronto
You can also pick them up if you bought used or even new furniture, new/used clothing, guests staying over from their luggage, if you traveled/stayed in a hotel recently etc...
[OP]
Jul 18, 2012
529 posts
258 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks all - as it turns out - these might be bat bugs/swallow bugs instead of bed bugs. We’ve had couple of pros take a look at the photos and seem to be leaning on them not being bed bugs.

We had a swallow’s nest out in our rear of the house - near the soffit/roof, and it seems like when the birds left these little sh1ts started coming out and inside the house looking for new hosts.

This would explain why there seems to be little to no activity around the beds and most of these are found near the ceiling of our master washroom. No one has been bit. Not one has had any rashes etc.

All of this said - we still need to get these things exterminated and will have pros coming in on Tuesday to deal with this. They’ll also confirm if these are bed bugs at all.

Will keep this thread posted.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
7865 posts
8833 upvotes
robbiemurray wrote: Thanks all - as it turns out - these might be bat bugs/swallow bugs instead of bed bugs. We’ve had couple of pros take a look at the photos and seem to be leaning on them not being bed bugs.

We had a swallow’s nest out in our rear of the house - near the soffit/roof, and it seems like when the birds left these little sh1ts started coming out and inside the house looking for new hosts.

This would explain why there seems to be little to no activity around the beds and most of these are found near the ceiling of our master washroom. No one has been bit. Not one has had any rashes etc.

All of this said - we still need to get these things exterminated and will have pros coming in on Tuesday to deal with this. They’ll also confirm if these are bed bugs at all.

Who are the pros that gave you tips? Really looks like bed bugs as per the pic you provided... https://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-a ... 2a-eng.php
[OP]
Jul 18, 2012
529 posts
258 upvotes
Toronto
DoorCrasher wrote: Who are the pros that gave you tips? Really looks like bed bugs as per the pic you provided... https://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-a ... 2a-eng.php
We’ve contacted 5 different exterminators, from Addison to Abell to few others. None of them conclusively have told us these are bed bugs vs bat bugs. But with very high certainty and given the location we’re finding these things, along with some of the circumstantial evidence have all leaned towards swallow/bat bugs.

That said, we do have one of them coming in on Tues to do an assessment followed by extermination plan. If they are bed bugs, we’ll do heat, if they are swallow/bat we’ll do chemical.
Jan 22, 2012
645 posts
257 upvotes
Bradford
Interesting. I’ve never heard of a bat bug but they look very similar.
Seems like bed bugs actively seek out human hosts but the bat bugs don’t.
Images
  • 4175DF89-ED5D-4910-A9C3-365E331BE331.jpeg
Aug 29, 2019
976 posts
444 upvotes
robbiemurray wrote: Thanks all - as it turns out - these might be bat bugs/swallow bugs instead of bed bugs. We’ve had couple of pros take a look at the photos and seem to be leaning on them not being bed bugs.

I think many of us learned something new.

I read that the swallow and bat bugs are different but look similar. If they are swallow bugs, you know it's probably from the old nest, but if it's bat bugs, it could mean bats are getting into the attic or walls.
Feb 9, 2005
925 posts
226 upvotes
So interesting, learn something new.

Hope the outcome is good, and minimal disruption to your lives.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
4476 posts
3859 upvotes
Toronto
Topher86 wrote: Interesting. I’ve never heard of a bat bug but they look very similar.
Seems like bed bugs actively seek out human hosts but the bat bugs don’t.
Why on earth would they use Metric for the Bat Bugs (mm) and Imperial for the Bed Bugs (inches) to compare size?

I mean hopefully most people know there are 25.4mm in an Inch, so 3-5mm is quite a bit smaller than 1/4", but still.