Shopping Discussion

What to buy in US/ Buffalo?

  • Last Updated:
  • May 9th, 2015 10:19 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Dec 6, 2013
906 posts
440 upvotes
Ontario

What to buy in US/ Buffalo?

Hi, I've searched the forum but nothing came up specifically about what Im asking (or Im just really bad at searching).

WHAT DO YOU BUY under the following conditions:
- Cross to Buffalo from Niagara, be there < 24 hours
- Travel to any store within ~1 hours from the border
- Exchange rate 1 USD ~ 1.25 CAD
- Will declare everything on the way back

My thoughts:
- Fill up on gas
- Tires?
- Booze?
- Camping equip?
- ???




If this has been discussed, please link away! Thank you! :)

Edit: I am very well aware of the exemption! I am asking for ideas on what to get :)
:cool:
34 replies
Sr. Member
User avatar
Feb 1, 2015
897 posts
497 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Groceries, I always go to Aludis which is located two minutes from the Lewiston boarder. Prices are very cheap for good, quality products. The fashion outlets aren't what they used to be IMO, and I often skip them all together. Boulevard mall still has good deals, if you're willing to drive the extra distance. Walmart has VERY cheap outdoor supplies, so if that's what you're looking for, make sure you stop there. There's a liquidation/overstock centre called Ollies on military Rd (I may be mistaken), and I've yet to enter and send less than $50.00. I always find great deals on fishing supplies and snacks. There is a liquor supermarkets right next door, where I spend a good half hour per trip. Prices are comparable to duty free, usually a bit cheaper (specials are MUCH cheaper). Wegmans is the American version of Fortinos (upscale grocery) but prices are premium. Dollar tree still 100000x better than anything dollarama has to offer.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 3, 2014
3183 posts
2850 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
xfftwf wrote: Hi, I've searched the forum but nothing came up specifically about what Im asking (or Im just really bad at searching).

I am crossing the border for a day, to Buffalo, and was hoping to buy the stuff in the nearby stores that are cheaper in US. For instance, last time I went to US Walmart and a lot of their Ourdoors stuff were cheaper! I also heard their detergents' scent lasts longer than our Canadian stuff.
Apparently you're really bad at searching. :)

This same question gets asked probably monthly, and with no disrespect intended, I'm always amazed at the fact people need to ask this. What someone else is interested in buying (let's say Outdoor equipment, for example) may be of absolutely no interest to you, so asking someone else to list whatever they would buy in the US is really irrelevant.

I do my own research. "this is what I'm interested in buying...is it cheaper in the US of A?" kind of thing. Clearly Outdoor equipment is important to you. Do your price searches and you know what you can get.

Note, however that you have a ZERO allowance for a day trip, so any shopping you do is subject to not only a 20% exchange differential on your credit card, but also may have duties and/or taxes applied on your return. Unlikely unless you go overboard, but you should factor this into your calculations.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 13, 2006
2103 posts
8160 upvotes
Toronto
liambarry99 wrote: Groceries, I always go to Aludis which is located two minutes from the Lewiston boarder. Prices are very cheap for good, quality products. The fashion outlets aren't what they used to be IMO, and I often skip them all together. Boulevard mall still has good deals, if you're willing to drive the extra distance. Walmart has VERY cheap outdoor supplies, so if that's what you're looking for, make sure you stop there. There's a liquidation/overstock centre called Ollies on military Rd (I may be mistaken), and I've yet to enter and send less than $50.00. I always find great deals on fishing supplies and snacks. There is a liquor supermarkets right next door, where I spend a good half hour per trip. Prices are comparable to duty free, usually a bit cheaper (specials are MUCH cheaper). Wegmans is the American version of Fortinos (upscale grocery) but prices are premium. Dollar tree still 100000x better than anything dollarama has to offer.
Did you mean Aldi for Groceries (https://www.aldi.us/)?

Ollies Bargain Outlet (http://www.ollies.us/) is great!
Sr. Member
User avatar
Feb 1, 2015
897 posts
497 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ALLCAPS wrote: Apparently you're really bad at searching. :)

This same question gets asked probably monthly, and with no disrespect intended, I'm always amazed at the fact people need to ask this. What someone else is interested in buying (let's say Outdoor equipment, for example) may be of absolutely no interest to you, so asking someone else to list whatever they would buy in the US is really irrelevant.

I do my own research. "this is what I'm interested in buying...is it cheaper in the US of A?" kind of thing. Clearly Outdoor equipment is important to you. Do your price searches and you know what you can get.

Note, however that you have a ZERO allowance for a day trip, so any shopping you do is subject to not only a 20% exchange differential on your credit card, but also may have duties and/or taxes applied on your return. Unlikely unless you go overboard, but you should factor this into your calculations.

Depending on what you buy. I haven't been taxed or even searched for that matter in years. Don't bring back booze or tobacco and you should be fine.
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Dec 6, 2013
906 posts
440 upvotes
Ontario
liambarry99 wrote: Dollar tree still 100000x better than anything dollarama has to offer.
Thanks for the tips! Also I've always skipped Dollar Tree, but I will pay them a visit next time!
:cool:
Jr. Member
Sep 11, 2011
176 posts
42 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
liambarry99 wrote: Depending on what you buy. I haven't been taxed or even searched for that matter in years. Don't bring back booze or tobacco and you should be fine.
I was just going to say booze lol.

When I go across the border I always get alcohol. I've often times paid half the price we pay here. If you are worried then go to duty free its still cheaper than here.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Feb 1, 2015
897 posts
497 upvotes
Toronto, ON
riBanz wrote: I was just going to say booze lol.

When I go across the border I always get alcohol. I've often times paid half the price we pay here. If you are worried then go to duty free its still cheaper than here.

I'm not 100% sure if this is legal. I know someone who came back across the Canadian boarder (coming back into Canada from USA day trip) and stopped off to the side and went into the CANADIAN duty free. He bought booze on the Canadian side and proceeded into Canada. Literally half the price of the LCBO
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 11, 2005
1198 posts
361 upvotes
cheesecake from cheesecake factory :cool:
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2007
1294 posts
539 upvotes
GTA
xfftwf wrote: Hi, I've searched the forum but nothing came up specifically about what Im asking (or Im just really bad at searching).

I am crossing the border for a day, to Buffalo, and was hoping to buy the stuff in the nearby stores that are cheaper in US. For instance, last time I went to US Walmart and a lot of their Ourdoors stuff were cheaper! I also heard their detergents' scent lasts longer than our Canadian stuff.

What stores do you go? What items do you get, regardless of onsale or not? Im looking for just basic essential everyday items..

If this has been discussed, please link away! Thank you! :)
Keep in mind that if you return in less than 24 hours, you are not eligible for personal exemptions http://travel.gc.ca/returning/customs/b ... mini-guide
You have to pay duty and taxes on everything especially tobacco and alcohol. The border guard may just decide to waive you in without paying any duty, more so if you are not bringing any tobacco or alcohol and the total of purchases is less than say $100-200. You'll hear all kinds of stories but the link above is summary of the official rules.
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Dec 6, 2013
906 posts
440 upvotes
Ontario
Thanks for the heads up regarding the exemption guys, I already know that. I just don't know what to buy!
:cool:
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5170 posts
6962 upvotes
Toronto, ON
liambarry99 wrote: I'm not 100% sure if this is legal. I know someone who came back across the Canadian boarder (coming back into Canada from USA day trip) and stopped off to the side and went into the CANADIAN duty free. He bought booze on the Canadian side and proceeded into Canada. Literally half the price of the LCBO
LOL... he just walked over into the Canadian Duty Free? I'm surprised it's not blocked off...
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5170 posts
6962 upvotes
Toronto, ON
riBanz wrote: I was just going to say booze lol.

When I go across the border I always get alcohol. I've often times paid half the price we pay here. If you are worried then go to duty free its still cheaper than here.
You can't bring alcohol back for day trips nor for any trip less than 48hours... you got real lucky...
Sr. Member
User avatar
Feb 1, 2015
897 posts
497 upvotes
Toronto, ON
er34er34 wrote: LOL... he just walked over into the Canadian Duty Free? I'm surprised it's not blocked off...
As am I LOL
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 9, 2009
6675 posts
2909 upvotes
Montreal
er34er34 wrote: You can't bring alcohol back for day trips nor for any trip less than 48hours... you got real lucky...
Yes, you can. You're just subject to tax and duties on it.
Jr. Member
Oct 4, 2014
138 posts
10 upvotes
bowmanville, ON
nothing at this exchange rate...
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5170 posts
6962 upvotes
Toronto, ON
psyko514 wrote: Yes, you can. You're just subject to tax and duties on it.
By my books, that means you can't bring.. Might as well buy at LCBO(in certain cases, it'll end up cheaper).

That is like saying you can park anywhere you want in downtown Toronto, as long as you're willing to pay the ticket or impound fee.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 9, 2009
6675 posts
2909 upvotes
Montreal
er34er34 wrote: By my books, that means you can't bring.. Might as well buy at LCBO(in certain cases, it'll end up cheaper).

That is like saying you can park anywhere you want in downtown Toronto, as long as you're willing to pay the ticket or impound fee.
That's not at all the same thing. While you may consider taxes and duties to be the same as a fine or a penalty, they are not.

You are required to pay duties and taxes on most goods that you bring in to Canada. You are granted certain exemptions if you've been away for longer than 24 hours. The exemption is not a pardon for committing a crime, it's just an exemption on taxes and duties.

You're implying it's wrong or illegal to either exceed your exemptions or bring back good when you're not subject to exemptions. It isn't. You're entitled to your opinion but having an opinion that contradicts fact doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Top