• Last Updated:
  • Oct 28th, 2019 10:04 pm
[OP]
May 9, 2019
121 posts
139 upvotes
GTA

What camera is best for my home?

I'm looking to get a camera for my home that would be set up outside. Main purposes being to see if/when packages are delivered, and also to see who is ringing my doorbell without having to run to the door. I'd like to be able to see these things from my phone in an app. I also have an Amazon FireTV so it would be cool if it synced with that and I could simply ask Alexa to live stream the camera on my TV or something, if that's possible. Looking for something super simple to install too (don't want to be drilling holes in my brick exterior and running wires and such...)

Budget for the camera is up to $100 or so (Is that too low? No idea). Willing to buy a big SD card too. I've heard about the Wyze cam. Not sure of what else is good out there. Any feedback would be appreciated!
Some say they're sick of my crap.
15 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34433 posts
20463 upvotes
Center of Universe
Wyze cam seems to be very popular.
I see a few houses with them installed outdoors, exposed to the elements, but mounted under some overhanging shelter.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
12275 posts
1834 upvotes
Kanata
Look at the Blink camera's from Amazon, they are wireless and battery powered.
Dec 8, 2009
345 posts
59 upvotes
How long the battery lasts in Blink? I am going to return my Arlo which needs recharging less than a month.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
2578 posts
694 upvotes
North York
vkizzle wrote: Wyze cam seems to be very popular.
I see a few houses with them installed outdoors, exposed to the elements, but mounted under some overhanging shelter.
If you want to use a Wyze camera outdoors you can get a wall mountable outdoor enclosure like this but the problem is finding a nearby power source.
https://www.amazon.ca/Adjustable-Weathe ... 34&sr=8-13

I would recommend spending a bit extra and getting a Ring Doorbell because it seems to check off all your requirements. I was able to pick up my practically new Ring Doorbell Pro for $150+taxes from a place called auctionmaxx.

You can setup push alerts to your phone when motion is detected and then you have to open the app immediately to see who or what triggered it. If someone is ringing your door bell you can see and talk to who is there even if you are not at home. The installation is pretty easy and should not require you to run any additional wires because it uses the existing wiring from your external door bell button. Watch this installation video and you can see what is involved.

The problem with Ring is unless you pay their yearly subscription (~$40/year) you will not be able to review earlier footage. I read online that Wyze is planning to release a video door bell in the future so this might be a cheaper and better option since there will likely be a built in SD card option for local storage like in their current camera line up.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
7782 posts
2523 upvotes
Maple
vkizzle wrote: Wyze cam seems to be very popular.
+1.

I installed my in garage pointing to front door. Router is right above garage.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34433 posts
20463 upvotes
Center of Universe
mwong168 wrote: If you want to use a Wyze camera outdoors you can get a wall mountable outdoor enclosure like this but the problem is finding a nearby power source.
https://www.amazon.ca/Adjustable-Weathe ... 34&sr=8-13

I would recommend spending a bit extra and getting a Ring Doorbell because it seems to check off all your requirements. I was able to pick up my practically new Ring Doorbell Pro for $150+taxes from a place called auctionmaxx.

You can setup push alerts to your phone when motion is detected and then you have to open the app immediately to see who or what triggered it. If someone is ringing your door bell you can see and talk to who is there even if you are not at home. The installation is pretty easy and should not require you to run any additional wires because it uses the existing wiring from your external door bell button. Watch this installation video and you can see what is involved.

The problem with Ring is unless you pay their yearly subscription (~$40/year) you will not be able to review earlier footage. I read online that Wyze is planning to release a video door bell in the future so this might be a cheaper and better option since there will likely be a built in SD card option for local storage like in their current camera line up.
I'm a Ring alarm subscriber with a doorbell and floodlights cameras.
But also use indoor wifi cameras pointing out windows for areas they I can't capture with the doorbell or floodlight cameras.
Jan 4, 2007
396 posts
149 upvotes
Vancouver
britelzg wrote: How long the battery lasts in Blink? I am going to return my Arlo which needs recharging less than a month.
Could be just your battery.
What settings do you have your Arlo at?
I’ve got the Arlo Pro camera and the battery lasts for about 2 months.
Apr 5, 2009
888 posts
216 upvotes
I started about 7 years ago... have foscam cameras with blue iris software running 24 7 on my PC. Love it.
15 cams in+out all accessible on phone with no fees.
Screenshot_20191011-215127_Blue Iris.jpg
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
3452 posts
2265 upvotes
Toronto
I installed a Wyze cam under my garage entrance, so far so good. I'll have to see how it holds up in the winter though but it was heavy rain the other day and it was fine. Used a USB extender to get to a power source.
IMG_20191020_174528561_HDR.jpg

A4DA222FE01B_1571608267563.png

IMG_20191020_174737128.jpg
IMG_20191021_090039928_HDR(1).jpg
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
27741 posts
12818 upvotes
Toronto
^ that's can easily be removed/taken by anyone
Jan 7, 2006
534 posts
254 upvotes
Toronto
britelzg wrote: And be recorded
approach it from the side and turn it around/smash it/tape over it.
Nov 9, 2005
746 posts
184 upvotes
I have the ring floodlight cam and it is great, the ring doorbell always has caused me problems (will get a nest doorbell)

I set up motion zones so that the light would come on if someone came on to my driveway, and could speak two ways + Siren.

PROS: Super easy to setup, great features like light timer/motion zones/light zones/two way audio/good night vision
CONS: Subscription based, lights were yellow not white.

However with your budget, wyze cam would be decent. Since you are already in the Ring eco system, I would try to save a little more coin for the flood light cam though.