Entrepreneurship & Small Business

What can be done with a large indoor space? 10,000 sf ?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 6th, 2016 10:19 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 23, 2015
376 posts
20 upvotes
Mississauga, ON

What can be done with a large indoor space? 10,000 sf ?

I am leasing a unit in an industrial area building, the adjacent unit is huge with a 14 foot (maybe taller) ceiling. The landlord has a hard time leasing it so I being thinking of what can be done with such a space, without putting much capital to it. The landlord is a big firm with many properties so they are not desperate for the income, thus the lack of effort being put to lease the space.

It has a cargo bay so trucks can unload. Typically such space is used for manufacturing/warehouse but the floor is not strong enough for forklifts to move about, other than that floor is structurally ok. Landlord said not worth to reinforce the floor as building expected to be torn down in about 10 yrs (for condos?) City will not allow walls built to divide unit into smaller ones.

For various reasons it is not suitable for large crowds, so flea-market idea is a no go. OK for small numbers of people to occupy.
Ideas I have in mind...indoor sports like soccer(esp in winter), gym, drone operators to test their equipment (without wind).

If you can think of something please detail here or contact me privately.

Building is beside the Georgetown GO station L7G 3P1
16 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
1875 posts
1203 upvotes
A small warehouse can use a pallet jacket to unload skids. Not sure if that will help your case.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13902 posts
8995 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Indoor archery tag seems like the hype now. If you do decide to go this route, let me in for free. :cheesygri
BizDeveloper wrote: I am leasing a unit in an industrial area building, the adjacent unit is huge with a 14 foot (maybe taller) ceiling. The landlord has a hard time leasing it so I being thinking of what can be done with such a space, without putting much capital to it. The landlord is a big firm with many properties so they are not desperate for the income, thus the lack of effort being put to lease the space.

It has a cargo bay so trucks can unload. Typically such space is used for manufacturing/warehouse but the floor is not strong enough for forklifts to move about, other than that floor is structurally ok. Landlord said not worth to reinforce the floor as building expected to be torn down in about 10 yrs (for condos?) City will not allow walls built to divide unit into smaller ones.

For various reasons it is not suitable for large crowds, so flea-market idea is a no go. OK for small numbers of people to occupy.
Ideas I have in mind...indoor sports like soccer(esp in winter), gym, drone operators to test their equipment (without wind).

If you can think of something please detail here or contact me privately.

Building is beside the Georgetown GO station L7G 3P1

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13902 posts
8995 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Maybe an indoor maze, that's something different.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4756 posts
5884 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Car storage for winter

Car repair bays for DIYers without their own garage
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
22037 posts
25686 upvotes
Toronto
Escape room. Knife/axe throwing league. Parkour gym or even just discount gym with no showers.

Maybe a satellite church facility. All they need is chairs and internet feed + screen/projector. Some of them get great turnout on Sundays.

For October it can become a temporary haunted house. I've been to a few good ones in industrial parks.
"I felt a great disturbance at KFC as if millions of chickens suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced." RFD user stephroll
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2008
5027 posts
1624 upvotes
guys, remember this is all the way in georgetown.
Escape rooms and similar social activities and that kinda stuff is not gonna work as you need the hustle and bustle high volume of toronto.

I think storage of some sort is your best best
May 29, 2012
528 posts
195 upvotes
Southern Ontario
indoor paint ball or go kart course
[OP]
Feb 23, 2015
376 posts
20 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Thanks for all the suggestions, anything else?
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2007
4300 posts
410 upvotes
GTA
Indoor playground for kids, they seem to be poping up everywhere now days
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
1875 posts
1203 upvotes
Why not just post it on Kijiji as 10,000 sq feet warehouse and see what people want the office for? Unless you are looking to use the place yourself what does it matter to you what the place is used for?
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2012
3082 posts
325 upvotes
Mississauga
Lots of good ideas for a space, depending again on the business idea and if area can draw people in.
Aug 15, 2010
168 posts
20 upvotes
Spruce Grove
I like the idea of foot darts. - soccer meets darts.
Garland Coulson, "Captain Time"