Home & Garden

What can be done to stop squirells from digging my plants out?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 19th, 2020 5:12 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1649 posts
210 upvotes
East York, ON

What can be done to stop squirells from digging my plants out?

These animals are persistent and dumb. They randomly dig out plants hopping there is bulbs at the bottom. Most of the times they kill flowers that have no bulbs and I am getting sick of this
What can be done,legally to scare them away? I have no pla s to buy a pet...
I have seen some crazy funny videos with catapults ...is that legal?
[external link removed, do not repost]
18 replies
Jul 16, 2019
517 posts
285 upvotes
CuriousC wrote: These animals are persistent and dumb. They randomly dig out plants hopping there is bulbs at the bottom. Most of the times they kill flowers that have no bulbs and I am getting sick of this
Place some plastic forks in the pot or around the plants with the forks/prongs sticking up. This makes it hard for them to dig. You can also put a wire mesh down around the plant.
Feb 10, 2008
634 posts
281 upvotes
Toronto
You could try sprinkling cayenne pepper all around the surface of the soil where they dig. My wife does this, but I have no first hand knowledge of if it actually works or not.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
3396 posts
631 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
[Signature removed due to rule violation]
Feb 25, 2004
841 posts
348 upvotes
Longueuil
I am having a similar problem. I ordered some haskaps and it took almost 4 weeks to get here (I thought they were dead but 7 out of 8 survived). I planted them as soon as I got them.
1. The next morning, I see that an animal (I don't think it was a squirrel) removed the very small buds (for fun? it didn't eat them, they were on the ground) and took a dump on one of them (seriously, it couldn't go anywhere else?). So I installed a wire mesh around them.
2. The next morning I see that it tried to dig around the mesh but it failed. So I simply filled the holes. It happened a few times.
3. Then yesterday (I think it was a squirrel) managed to dig enough to go under the mesh, then it completely removed the haskap and left (for fun? it was completely removed and moved out of the mesh). I found the haskap in the pile of soil next to the mesh, it doesn't seem damaged (all roots and leaves looked fine). So this time I added bricks and curbs around the meshes. That is pretty much the only thing I can do. I will lose this fight if it still manages to get though I think.

What is annoying is they seem to be doing that for fun, they didn't eat the buds, leaves or roots.

And I live in the city, I am not in a rural area.
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1649 posts
210 upvotes
East York, ON
JEDI Force wrote: I am having a similar problem. I ordered some haskaps and it took almost 4 weeks to get here (I thought they were dead but 7 out of 8 survived). I planted them as soon as I got them.
1. The next morning, I see that an animal (I don't think it was a squirrel) removed the very small buds (for fun? it didn't eat them, they were on the ground) and took a dump on one of them (seriously, it couldn't go anywhere else?). So I installed a wire mesh around them.
2. The next morning I see that it tried to dig around the mesh but it failed. So I simply filled the holes. It happened a few times.
3. Then yesterday (I think it was a squirrel) managed to dig enough to go under the mesh, then it completely removed the haskap and left (for fun? it was completely removed and moved out of the mesh). I found the haskap in the pile of soil next to the mesh, it doesn't seem damaged (all roots and leaves looked fine). So this time I added bricks and curbs around the meshes. That is pretty much the only thing I can do. I will lose this fight if it still manages to get though I think.

What is annoying is they seem to be doing that for fun, they didn't eat the buds, leaves or roots.

Yeah replace that with strawberries, tomatoes and random plants, the same experience
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1649 posts
210 upvotes
East York, ON
I think I a going to have fun with this
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1649 posts
210 upvotes
East York, ON
mrwally wrote: You could try sprinkling cayenne pepper all around the surface of the soil where they dig. My wife does this, but I have no first hand knowledge of if it actually works or not.
my wife did it , they dug next to it in total disrespect
Mar 3, 2012
195 posts
102 upvotes
Montreal, QC
You can try to put a owl to deter squirrel. Will also repel some bird but you have to move owl often.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4057 posts
1295 upvotes
Oshawa
CuriousC wrote: These animals are persistent and dumb. They randomly dig out plants hopping there is bulbs at the bottom. Most of the times they kill flowers that have no bulbs and I am getting sick of this
Fire paintballs or BB pellets at them
16' x 11' Living Room with 11' Cathedral Ceiling. 65" Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers (FR+FL). Polk Audio S35 (Center). Klipsch R51M (RR+RL). Klipsch R14M (Dolby FHR+Dolby FHL). Polk Audio HTS10 Subwoofer x 2.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
3837 posts
2616 upvotes
They most certainly are NOT dumb - they're quite smart but very persistent. Honestly, there's no permanent solution - I just learned to accept them. For flower pots and baskets, I place small rocks as they can't lift them...once they realize this they shouldn't be back and you can remove the rocks if need be. Hot chili powder works too but you have sprinkle some almost every day.
CuriousC wrote: my wife did it , they dug next to it in total disrespect
Glad to see you're not taking this personally Neutral Face
Before responding to someone (online or offline) ask yourself: is it true? is it helpful? is it kind? is it necessary? This comes from an old Sufi adage that is so relevant today.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1663 posts
1225 upvotes
GTA West
JEDI Force wrote: I am having a similar problem. I ordered some haskaps and it took almost 4 weeks to get here (I thought they were dead but 7 out of 8 survived). I planted them as soon as I got them.

A lot of the squirrel damage in my yard is caused when they bury stuff. They eat stuff as well, but after getting my backyard camera I now see that raccoons, rabbits, skunks, and possums all forage in my yard. No kidding - I get some kind of night-time raiding party most nights. I think they all like vegetarian stuff.

I find that the squirrels are very attracted to exposed freshly worked soil since it easy to bury things there. I find that mesh does work. I have a 4 x 6 bed planted with garlic. I covered that with cheap plastic mesh fencing and let the garlic grow right through it with no squirrel damage.

I planted half a dozen haskaps from 1 gallon pots last year and had no squirrel damage done to them.

You can trap animals as much as you want, but I hear that it is useless - other animals quickly move in to replace them.

I laugh at some of the remedies people sell or suggest, like a motion activated sprinkler. I see the animals foraging quite happily on wet nights. And I chucked out my ultrasonic repeller a long time ago. Cayenne pepper? I would need a cubic yard!

We have a fox that helps on keeping the rabbits in check, but I think the squirrels easily elude him.