Home & Garden

what can I do to get rid of chipmunks ?!

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 21st, 2020 9:27 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2011
1871 posts
691 upvotes
GTA

what can I do to get rid of chipmunks ?!

Chipmunks keeps chewing the pool house and getting inside pool house, tried to put some metal piece around the trim under the roof , but they finding another area and chewing woods!
used Coyote mist, but no success.
Images
  • IMG_4478.jpg
  • IMG_4644.jpg
  • IMG_4469.jpg
13 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19157 posts
22040 upvotes
GTA
Mouse traps I would think. Otherwise install metal flashing everywhere.
Is there something attracting them to the pool house? If so, get rid of it.
Last edited by engineered on Jul 20th, 2020 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11736 posts
6924 upvotes
Paris
engineered wrote: Mouse traps or poison I would think. Otherwise install metal flashing everywhere.
Please dont use poison. Its killing all the owls.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19157 posts
22040 upvotes
GTA
Jerico wrote: Please dont use poison. Its killing all the owls.
Good point.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2011
1871 posts
691 upvotes
GTA
engineered wrote: Mouse traps I would think. Otherwise install metal flashing everywhere.
Is there something attracting them to the pool house? If so, get rid of it.
they make a nest there, nothing there except couple of chlorine and pool stuff!
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
3985 posts
3176 upvotes
Ottawa
A different perspective? LOL
Chipmunks as Pets?
Get them an exercise wheel to power your pool heater?
https://www.amazon.ca/Small-Animal-Exer ... 6292587011

They made a burrow next to my house and I had to keep filling the hole with gravel. They eventually moved away to the yard when the young ones grew up and I still see them scurrying around. They're just too cute ...
Apr 17, 2017
49 posts
28 upvotes
you may catch a few, there are like mice family, thousands of them are out there. you may need to put flashing aloy all around the are they might chew in, and hope after a few try they will find another place and never come back.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2011
1254 posts
424 upvotes
If you live trap them make sure you cross water before releasing them! I had a friend who use to trap them and drive 20 miles away and the darn things would be back next morning in his yard!
No One Goes to Palmerston Ontario
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10087 posts
962 upvotes
Toronto
Guess your redoing the entire roof, metal flashing or chicken wire,
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
7571 posts
5736 upvotes
Ottawa
Any rat trap will work - whether humane or not - if it is truly a chipmunk. The roof damage would not be as a result of typical chipmunk behaviour as in my experience, chipmunks burrow in the ground to make their nests. Are you sure that the roof damage isn't from a squirrel. The ground-level excavation could be from a chipmunk. Perhaps your pool house is the subject of a "coordinated" attack...

You could try mothballs as a repellant inside the rafters and near the entry points. I would, however, suggest trapping the varmints as once a squirrel gets it in its mind that there's a nesting site inside a structure, they will keep trying and can cause more damage. My pool house is stucco-clad with aluminum soffits etc. for this very reason.
Jan 3, 2008
976 posts
267 upvotes
W.GTA
CaptSmethwick wrote: Any rat trap will work - whether humane or not - if it is truly a chipmunk. The roof damage would not be as a result of typical chipmunk behaviour as in my experience, chipmunks burrow in the ground to make their nests. Are you sure that the roof damage isn't from a squirrel. The ground-level excavation could be from a chipmunk. Perhaps your pool house is the subject of a "coordinated" attack...

You could try mothballs as a repellant inside the rafters and near the entry points. I would, however, suggest trapping the varmints as once a squirrel gets it in its mind that there's a nesting site inside a structure, they will keep trying and can cause more damage. My pool house is stucco-clad with aluminum soffits etc. for this very reason.
My thought too, have never seen a chipmunk up a low roof. I have chipmunks running around my place, unless these are ninja chipmunks.
Koodo/Public Mobile
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
7294 posts
3870 upvotes
Debtario
Chipper dipper is the most efficient, and very cheap/easy. Mouse traps are too small, rat traps too slow, they don't seem to care for poison.

Fill a bucket of water up a third or halfway, sprinkle some sunflower seeds on top of the water, and put a plank or branch up to the edge of the bucket so there's something to climb. You can put a seed or a light hint of PB at the edge of the bucket for incentive if you want. Position the bucket with ramp along a travel path, like the side of the house, or where you see lots of chipmunk activity.

Sit back and let them dive in and drown. If you leave the bucket for a day or two you can get multiple kills, they just keep coming until there are none left! Just be sure to empty the bucket so the dead ones don't stink up in the heat. Rinse and repeat until you see the population drop and they stop showing up in the bucket. I go toss them in the ditch near the road, and every single time something comes to eat them during the night - never any decaying carcasses!

There's more elaborate designs with spinning aluminum cans coated with peanut butter, but I find a bucket, water, and sunflower seeds work just as well.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)