Home & Garden

What can I put to prevent gravel from washing out? EDIT: what is this thing called?

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 30th, 2021 9:37 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
2778 posts
1928 upvotes

What can I put to prevent gravel from washing out? EDIT: what is this thing called?

My side walkway going to the backyard is sloped and Im putting gravel on it. I started to put some yesterday and a small amount had found itself in between the fences at the bottom. Gravel is about 1-2in each, but some small pieces are still getting through the gaps

Anything I can put to prevent this from happening? Something minimalist instead of nailing boards on the bottom. Thinking of an edging kit but I dont think theyre stiff enough


EDIT: what are these things called?
Images
  • 20210829_180042.jpg
Last edited by Biscayne05 on Aug 30th, 2021 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
9 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
19448 posts
22565 upvotes
GTA
Pics?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
2778 posts
1928 upvotes
engineered wrote: Pics?
Taken from Google, but have the same one, but on a slope

See that crevice on the bottom? It's getting through there
Images
  • board-on-board-lattice-fence.jpg
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1997 posts
1728 upvotes
GTA
Biscayne05 wrote: Taken from Google, but have the same one, but on a slope

See that crevice on the bottom? It's getting through there
So I assume your issue is the gravel is not being confined to one space, not an issue of washing out. Washing out would generally refer to it not having sufficient weight to prevent being moved by the water.

Anyways, to confine the gravel, you could add another piece of PT lumber along the ground, brickstop, or pavers/larger stones/curb. All of these should keep it confined.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
2778 posts
1928 upvotes
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: So I assume your issue is the gravel is not being confined to one space, not an issue of washing out. Washing out would generally refer to it not having sufficient weight to prevent being moved by the water.

Anyways, to confine the gravel, you could add another piece of PT lumber along the ground, brickstop, or pavers/larger stones/curb. All of these should keep it confined.
Im not sure how the gravel will react when it's spring thaw. I live in an area that gets a lot more snow than Toronto. Just making sure it doesnt go in between the crevices
teoconca wrote: Don't know how deep or high you want. I recommend putting this or something similar between the board.
http://www.newenduser.co.uk/shop/garden ... ths-lawns/
I was considering this, but extra work to dig. If Im SOL Im going this route
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
2778 posts
1928 upvotes
Original post edited to determine what is that black bordering thing I found under my deck
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1997 posts
1728 upvotes
GTA
Biscayne05 wrote: Original post edited to determine what is that black bordering thing I found under my deck
Brickstop, or Edge Restraint, or paver edge restraint.

It usually is buried and stops your pavers from moving into adjacent softscaped area.

You need some nice spikes for it.

Top