Automotive

What car related maintenance/upgrades do you do yourself?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2020 10:00 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
24088 posts
32545 upvotes
Toronto

What car related maintenance/upgrades do you do yourself?

We bought a used 2012 Kia Soul 2U as a pandemic purchase a few months back. Of course looking to save $ wherever possible.

Never owned a car before but like tinkering and fixing electronics etc.

So far I've swapped out all interior lights to LED. Changed engine air filter. Swapped out key , circuit board, and battery from old fob to new one.

Ordered a passenger compartment air filter that should be arriving this week.

Just checked YouTube for instructions and ordered parts online.

What repairs/upgrades do you recommend for a DIYer? Don't have a garage so not much room to store extra tools, parts, etc.

Forgot to mention , we did pay to have a dashcam installed. I started the process but realized hiding wires to rear camera was a bit too tedious for me. We got the 12" mirror dashcam. Love the clarity and use it instead of conventional mirror for a much wider view with no obstructions from rear seat passengers or cargo.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B081CSW77H/ref ... 9d5DOsbyMR
Images
  • 20200713_184604.jpg
  • 20200709_185905.jpg
  • filter.jpg
Last edited by sprung on Jul 16th, 2020 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'm serious as cancer when I say rhythm is a dancer.
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 22, 2012
5405 posts
5710 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Installed a dashcam yet? I've been looking at the A119 V3 but I'm not sure if it's worth the cost.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2009
1033 posts
792 upvotes
Toronto
rugerty100 wrote: Installed a dashcam yet? I've been looking at the A119 V3 but I'm not sure if it's worth the cost.
Yes absolutely. If you ever need the dashcam even once, it will have paid for itself; and you will want something that is reliable, and with very good image quality.

OP, I suggest:

1. Dashcam is #1
2. Check the vehicle's service records to see there is any scheduled service you should have done. Take the opportunity to make a chart, so that you know what work will be needed and when (ex: Transmission Fluid, Brake Fluid, Engine Coolant, next oil change, etc)
3. If you don't have car mats, get some.
4. Does your car have an autostarter? If not, I recommend one. It will come in handy in the winter.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19260 posts
2944 upvotes
Woodbridge
I just do the basic maintenance like Oil, Filters, Brakes and Tire Swaps.

As for upgrades, I bolted the Front Strut Tower on my CivicX. LOL

IDK if it's lack of confidence and/or laziness but I can't bother with my upgrades like Dash Cams, Rear Sway Bar. Both was cheap to install, $75 each.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14948 posts
11383 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Air Filters, headlights, foglights, interior light, Battery, dashcam.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)