Aug 7, 2012
135 posts
191 upvotes
Vancouver

What card should I get ?

Hi guys I have 2 credit cards
Amex SCP
Scotiabank visa infinite

I had SCP since Mar of this year and so far I have earned like $600ish cash back and that was with 10% 4 months cash back welcome offer and I maxed it.
I don't go grocery stores or buy groceries (living at parents) and don't have bills except cellphone bill

Most my purchases falls under like restaurants or like shopping at Nike or Adidas etc

SCP gave me the cash back this month but not the full amount only $500ish and there is like $100ish left

My visa infinite have $282 cashback right now and I think they pay in November

So what would be be wise for me to do? Should I switch my SCP to Cobalt?

Since I bank with Scotiabank I should be able to waive the Visa infinite fees every year

What cards should I get or cancel?
No grocery stores
No bills

Thanks guys for any help
3 replies
Mar 25, 2015
140 posts
87 upvotes
If you don't make use of your visa momentum Infinite at all (seems so), I would rather product switch to Scotia Amex Gold for their no-FX, solid cashback for similar to cobalt stuff and fee waiver afterall + if you want to have Visa backup you can get Simplii Cashback card (now that it doesn't require to be their chequing account owner) (assuming your spending habits closer to restaurant visits and such) or Tangerine with targeted categories.

Alternative option is to switch Scotia card to Passport Infinite, but it doesn't seem like you travel a lot to get benefit of it.

I don't know if SCP worth closing, it's solid choice for 2% that you barely find anywhere.
Last edited by dimon222 on Sep 14th, 2021 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
1668 posts
311 upvotes
Toronto
You need a non-Amex card.

Given the info you provided (mainly food and general spend), I would say the Simplii Visa as well (4% cashback on restaurants/fast food/etc). It is no fee.

SCP is probably the best "general spend" card IMHO. You mentioned the cashback with the bonus, but some of the Amex offers are actually quite useful (small shop, tap, food pick up services, sometimes travel spend). These offers are direct statement credits (not included in the cashback) and definitely can make up for the annual fee.
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
16058 posts
4638 upvotes
Scarberia
If op drives.. Maybe the bmo eclipse visa infinite and of course the cdn tire WE
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>