• Last Updated:
  • Sep 23rd, 2019 11:32 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
1097 posts
26 upvotes

What is the cheapest cell phone plan?

Hey folks, I currently have 3 lines and want to keep the numbers - but have been having difficult finding the cheapest way to keep my numbers. I currently have a plan from Fido that I would like to move to cheap line. Any suggestions? Is there a $5 cell phone plan? Lol

Appreciate your assistance
5 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
1985 posts
1429 upvotes
How long are you trying to keep the lines active for? I'm not sure if it's discontinued or not, but Virgin Prepaid or Bell Prepaid doesn't require any funds or a plan to maintain the line active. You can port your number in and get free incoming text message, provided this still works.

Otherwise, Public Mobile $8 50 minutes and 50 outgoing text message after $2 off autopay if Virgin/Bell Prepaid won't work for you.

Edit: if you go Public Mobile, keep in mind that you can suspend an account by simply not paying the bill for 90 days. Do not exceed 90 days, as it will deactivate the account and you lose the numbers!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12975 upvotes
Does it have to be a cell phone? You could port it to voip for cheap.
Shortish term voip.ms
Longer term FPL
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
11223 posts
6208 upvotes
Markham
Lots of threads with this question already....711 Speakout is the cheapest. Prepaid everything. You pay a 911 fee of $1.25/mth and you only need to top up annually. Min topup is $25/yr .
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
1097 posts
26 upvotes
thanks for the feedback guys... both the 711 and the Public Mobile option look good. I'd like to keep the numbers indefinitely so don't want to risk losing them.

The only reason I didn't go with VOIP.ms as it seems a bit... complex. Will check out the options and report

Much thanks
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12975 upvotes
BiGGiEx3 wrote: The only reason I didn't go with VOIP.ms as it seems a bit... complex. Will check out the options and report
Knowing nothing about voip.ms definitely makes it seem complex.
However once it "clicks" it's actually pretty easy.
Since you don't really need an ATA (a thing that let's you use voip with a real phone) everything you need to do is handled via web portal.

You'd port your number over, set up forwarding options, and you're basically done.
It does get a bit more complicated if you want to use your number in other or fancy ways, but even that's not really THAT difficult.
You can definitely make it difficult if you want do so some complex stuff though.