• Sep 11th, 2020 3:00 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
1252 posts
75 upvotes
oshawa

what to check after closing

I am closing my townhome today. I had to forego home inspection in light of crazy market. what are the key checklist items to validate after i get the keys and worth complaining (if needed) with my realtor within 24 hours?
if you dont have an answer, dont repond to my thread.
I need answers, and thats why i use redflagdeals forums.
10 replies
Dec 18, 2017
932 posts
527 upvotes
London, On
Included things in your offer like appliances, window coverings etc. As well as nothing left behind that the previous owners didn't want to deal with disposing of. No damage that wasn't there when you saw the place. Does your unit have a sump pump? Make sure it's working. We had a home inspection and they found it wasn't working, but we were able to get that replaced as part of the offer. Not sure if you can do anything about that now but it's worth looking at. Fire up the air conditioning and the furnace, obviously at separate times and check that the hot water tank is working.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1649 posts
973 upvotes
Toronto
Make sure everything matches the purchase agreement. For example if light fixtures, appliances, and window coverings are included in the PA then make sure they're actually in the house.

Also check for any obvious signs of flood damage or foundation issues - serious defects like that should have been disclosed by the sellers.

Other than that there really isn't anything you can "complain about" since you are basically buying the house "as is". That's the risk you took by forgoing the inspection clause in the the purchase agreement.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
11192 posts
6183 upvotes
Markham
I'd take pictures of stuff just because it doesn't cost anything to store it...nothing like documentation. Even the most small items like drains etc because you might cover them with carpets in the future and one day you might want to find them again.

You might want to check all of the electrical outlets....there are "testers"/checkers you can buy.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Jan 29, 2007
273 posts
57 upvotes
Markham
gr8dlr wrote: I'd take pictures of stuff just because it doesn't cost anything to store it...nothing like documentation. Even the most small items like drains etc because you might cover them with carpets in the future and one day you might want to find them again.

You might want to check all of the electrical outlets....there are "testers"/checkers you can buy.
What good does any of the above do if he's waived the inspection? You can't prove that these stuff weren't there when he signed the agreement the purchase the place. I guess I would do the above... but just so i know what to fix as opposed to going back to the sellers.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
11192 posts
6183 upvotes
Markham
ky.antz wrote: What good does any of the above do if he's waived the inspection? You can't prove that these stuff weren't there when he signed the agreement the purchase the place. I guess I would do the above... but just so i know what to fix as opposed to going back to the sellers.
Documenting for self...not to go back to former owner as it's too late for that.

BTW there's nothing to stop the OP from getting a home inspector after the fact....nice to know stuff like is the electrical breakers undersized/oversized. Home Inspection reports also sometimes highlight regular maintenance stuff which is especially good for new homeowners if OP is one.

I found out about missized breakers from a home inspection. After the fact I got it fixed and at the same time I put in a "whole home surge protector" [recommended] as it stops at surge at the box to protect all electronics [like stoves/fridges/freezers/TV's/Stereos/computers/etc] in the house.

Speaking of electrical boxes, check to see if if it's well labelled ie what breaker is what room/outlet. Easier to do at the beginning.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15679 posts
4736 upvotes
London
Obviously, check stuff included in the purchase agreement unless the sales conditions were "as-is":
check furnace, water heater and AC works
check any appliances included work
check any fixtures that are suppose to be included are still there (i.e. like a built-in book shelf, curtain rods, light fixtures, etc)

My buddy found that the seller had removed all the patio stones (those big cement 24"X30" slabs) from the front sidewalk and backyard! Seller was forced to rent a big truck to bring them back, then reinstall them. There must have been like 100 stones

Any other defects like basement crack/ leaks, leaky roof, etc that a home inspection would have found - so sad, too bad
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
1252 posts
75 upvotes
oshawa
i want to get a uv light from homedepot as there was a dog that lived and want to ensure the house is cleaned off the effects. my wife is allertic to pets. which model in homedepot would be good for such a exercise? would this be a good candidate
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/defian ... 1001303723
Jan 29, 2007
273 posts
57 upvotes
Markham
junkone wrote: i want to get a uv light from homedepot as there was a dog that lived and want to ensure the house is cleaned off the effects. my wife is allertic to pets. which model in homedepot would be good for such a exercise? would this be a good candidate
good call im in the same situation. I did get home inspector/contractor to look at the house after the fact even though i had the clause removed. as for previous owner having a dog, i think we're going to be ripping up all the flooring and carpetting and repainting so i think i'll pass on that step.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9163 posts
4695 upvotes
Paris
junkone wrote: i want to get a uv light from homedepot as there was a dog that lived and want to ensure the house is cleaned off the effects. my wife is allertic to pets. which model in homedepot would be good for such a exercise? would this be a good candidate
Google:
Does UV light kill pet dander?
UV lights are perfect for killing organic causes of air quality issues like mold and bacteria. But there is little they can do against pet dander, dust, pollen or other allergens.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
1252 posts
75 upvotes
oshawa
i think its more of looking to see if there are dog poop leftovers so we can get them cleaned out.