• Aug 3rd, 2020 4:14 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
1252 posts
75 upvotes
oshawa

what to check in resale property after signing offer and before closing

i have signed the deal to buy property in oshawa. i will be exercising my 1 out of 2 visits before closing next week. what are the things to check so i can prepare to fix immeidately after closing. a few things i plan to do are
1. measure the rooms and draw on paper for planning the move.
2. check if they have cat 5/6 in each room so i can plan on the internet connection hookups and /or add them when i do the flooring(we plan to install hardwood before we move)
3. central aircon needs to be installed but is there something i have to do to check?
4. its a 2009 property and i have no home inspection criteria due to the crazy market conditions. what do i have to check to mitigate this?
if you dont have an answer, dont repond to my thread.
I need answers, and thats why i use redflagdeals forums.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4089 posts
1315 upvotes
Oshawa
Since no inspection:
- bring a flashlight ... go into the basement with no lights. Use the flashlight to look UP and DOWN the walls of the basements and all corners ... look for dried up spots (stains) ... possible water leak

On the other floors, look for cracks, bubbling along the edges of drywall on bends, corners

Check the toilets for leaks
Check the faucets for leaks

Draw out the plans of each room (one page per room) with measurements and mark the spots with an "X" for electrical outlets and "C" for Ethernet connections. Then take photos of the existing look so you have a better idea as to how to place your stuff.

Most new houses you would be putting the internet modem in the basement and then plug in the CAT cables (mostly CAT5e) into it (if it is prewired) ... normally the spot would be close to the electrical panel.

As for AC ... take photos of the outside around the house ... see where you WANT to put it ... best would be as close to the furnace as possible but it depends if there is room (especially if the closest to the furnace is between the houses).

Basement unfinished? If so ... take photos and measurements and draw a plan ... never hurts to see how you can personally design and maximize usage of space.

Garage ... photos ... measurements ... draw up a plan for shelving ... raised shelving ... create more space for storage so you don't waste the basement open space which you can utilize for an entertainment room, wet bar, etc
16' x 11' Living Room with 11' Cathedral Ceiling. 65" Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers (FR+FL). Polk Audio S35 (Center). Klipsch R51M (RR+RL). Klipsch R14M (Dolby FHR+Dolby FHL). Polk Audio HTS10 Subwoofer x 2.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
5753 posts
5908 upvotes
Toronto
junkone wrote: i have signed the deal to buy property in oshawa. i will be exercising my 1 out of 2 visits before closing next week. what are the things to check so i can prepare to fix immediately after closing. a few things i plan to do are
2. check if they have cat 5/6 in each room so i can plan on the internet connection hookups and /or add them when i do the flooring(we plan to install hardwood before we move)
3. central aircon needs to be installed but is there something i have to do to check?
4. its a 2009 property and i have no home inspection criteria due to the crazy market conditions. what do i have to check to mitigate this?
None of this sounds like anything so desperate of need it should be started prior to closing (since your offer and the deal is already closed.)

But while you're there, take pictures/records/note of any fixture that will rightfully be yours, which the seller may scrounge before closing, such as:

Light fixtures, thermostats, electrical wall plates, mounted smart home devices (eg smoke detectors, security cameras) and permanent smart recepticles and switches, ceiling fans, all interior and exterior appliances and chattels (except where explicitly excluded from the deal), plumbing fixtures, bathroom fixtures including toilets, vanities, mirrrors and other hardware, door handles and latches and locksets, curtain and drapery hardware, blinds and shutters, mailboxes, mantels and shelves, bannisters, stair runners, and anything else relevant to your house.

If the property/basement includes shops, workshops, garages, etc, document *permanently* installed features such as wall mounting systems, hoists, lifts, presses, tools, power distribution, permanent air compressors, heating and venting and dust systems.

Identify all chattels that may need accessories so you can inventory: remotes (garage, light, skylight, fireplace, ceiling fan, baseboard heater, etc), access cranks (skylights, awnings), smart home accessories (hubs, control units, etc), etc.

Document any landscaping and features which they may attempt to scrounge: plants, shrubs, permanent decorative features and designs, permanent structures such as sheds, gazebos, awnings, play structures, sprinkler/watering systems, rain barrels, permanent lighting and electrical subsystems.

Finally, document the working condition of all appliances and other operable chattels/fixtures: all kitchen and garage/household appliances (HVAC, central vac, garage opener, etc), window and skylight mechanisms, doors and locks, lighting, ceiling fans, fireplaces, hose and water connections, thermostats, heated floors, water softener/treatment, sump pumps, pool equipment, hot-tubs/jacuzzis/saunas/stream rooms, ventilation fans (range, bathroom, whole house, etc) any anything else you can think that should be in verifiable working order -- even down to the nitty gritty like testing every light, plug, faucet, toilet, tub and shower for flow, hot water, and drainage.

These will all help you one in recovering partial monies if the current owners try to decontent the house and permanent fixtures you are to be entitled to and which have not explicitly been excluded as part of the contract, or identify and negotiate for non-working equipment, (it happens more often than you might think.)
Last edited by hoob on Aug 3rd, 2020 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A glass of wine with you, sir, and the ladies I'll enjoy.
Revolutionary times must on occasion make do with considerable abridgements in order to accentuate the political line more strongly.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
6377 posts
1015 upvotes
If you’re using a contractor to renovate, use one or both of the visits to bring the contractor to measure and look over the house.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11545 posts
7819 upvotes
Edmonton
junkone wrote: i have signed the deal to buy property in oshawa. i will be exercising my 1 out of 2 visits before closing next week. what are the things to check so i can prepare to fix immeidately after closing. a few things i plan to do are
Since others seem not to have hit this point to hard, but regards to point #4, you can’t do anything to mitigate it at this point. By not inserting an inspection clause, you bought the house “as is”. So even if you had a professional inspector come in and turn up $10k of repairs, you’d have no recourse. Unless the seller deliberately hid some defects (aka latent defects), there’s no “mitigation option”.

But here’s hoping everything goes well and you can enjoy your new place!

C