Home & Garden

What color to repaint the porch columns ?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 23rd, 2020 3:29 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9684 posts
1143 upvotes

What color to repaint the porch columns ?

I would like to repaint the front door and porch columns that is currently with the original builder's paints. Our house's exterior is with beige bricks. The front double doors are currently painted with light brown. Since majority of the doors has been covered by the glass panels with wrought iron inserts, the wood area left for paints is like 25-30% of the door. Thus, the color change probably does not make too much difference. The only reason I want to repaint the doors is because the paint job is 12 years old and there are some areas with a bit paint peel off. Anyway, my wife would like to re-paint the wood area to the darkest expresso color.

My question is mainly for those 4 columns at the porch and the railings attached to them and the stairs, they are currently in beige color, I guess builder did it to kind of match the house's brick color. I wonder if it would look good if I paint these 4 columns and railings to the same dark expresso color as the front doors. Would it look good ? Or I should leave the porch columns and railings as the beige color.

Thanks for any advice, opinions and recommendations.
3 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22774 posts
21607 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
As they say ...
A photo is worth a 1000 words

Show us, and we’ll be better set to comment / advise
Jun 14, 2006
743 posts
90 upvotes
GTA
beige will go with brown - probably also makes sense to match with the Garage & Front door.
So go the same brown perhaps, same or paint columns/ front door and garage door brown/ dark brown, etc.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9684 posts
1143 upvotes
Steinbok wrote: beige will go with brown - probably also makes sense to match with the Garage & Front door.
So go the same brown perhaps, same or paint columns/ front door and garage door brown/ dark brown, etc.
Thanks. One thing, the dark expresso my wife likes is actually very dark, almost close to black Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

Since I am on a corner and garage is on the other side (not parellel to the front door), I probably might not paint it at the same thing. It is a dozen years old garage door as well, I will probably change a new door soon :)