Shopping Discussion

What competitor to Walmart would you like to see in your city

• Last Updated:
  • May 3rd, 2016 9:02 pm
Tags:
None

Poll: ....

• Total votes: 0. You have voted on this poll.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1025 upvotes

What competitor to Walmart would you like to see in your city

With the debate over Walmart charging handling fees and, some contend, Walmart getting more greedy what competitors would you like in your city (or more locations in your city) to shop at over Walmart?
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
34 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11638 posts
2615 upvotes
Montreal
Those indoor playgrounds for kids.
They're amazingly convenient when it's too cold to let toddlers play outside.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2010
1205 posts
87 upvotes
You think winners/marshals / home sense is a smaller chain ?

It's has a market cap of 50 billion. I've owned the stock
For about a year.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1025 upvotes
ddp wrote: You think winners/marshals / home sense is a smaller chain ?

It's has a market cap of 50 billion. I've owned the stock
For about a year.
I'm referring to location footprint in Canada.

They certainly don't have as many locations as "major" players like Loblaws, Wal-Mart or CanTire (at least in my part of the country).
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29402 posts
14902 upvotes
None of the above.
I want Amazon.ca to expand to even what 1/2 of what .com is.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4135 upvotes
Ottawa
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote: In-N-Out Burger
This...times a quadrillion.

Ya'll can keep spending on your generic chinese-made goods you don't need in your big box stores in the suburbs driving your leased entry level luxury cars. Just give me a decent burger FFS!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1025 upvotes
Cas77 wrote: This...times a quadrillion.

Ya'll can keep spending on your generic chinese-made goods you don't need in your big box stores in the suburbs driving your leased entry level luxury cars. Just give me a decent burger FFS!
I want more retail options precisely because of credit card breaches discussed in this thread:

possible-breach-cvs-walmart-canada-phot ... a-1773579/

Paying cash is king to avoid any data/credit breach however, that's getting harder to do with disappearing retail options like Target, Zellers (aside from three locations), XSCargo (never a fan but still...), Liquidation World, Future Shop and Big Lots

However, the upside is that's a lot of empty real estate for stores to enter the market (or expand in the same market).

I'm just disappointed, thus far, it's been more of the already major location chains (CanTire, Walmart, Loblaws) so far since it'll be more of the same products just in more locations.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1025 upvotes
With the debate over Walmart charging handling fees and, some contend, Walmart getting more greedy what competitors would you like in your city (or more locations in your city) to shop at over Walmart?
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2015
2444 posts
933 upvotes
Ontario
I actually want a Walmart to come. Ppl without car are stuck with overpriced loblaw store or sobeys. Both don't price match and cost too much.

Walmart needs to come downtown!
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
1599 posts
624 upvotes
Toronto
I'm happy with having a walmart as my closest store. I find the prices reasonable and the produce is generally pretty good and my experience inside the store is enjoyable. Wouldn't change a thing. If I want to class it up a bit I have a couple higher end grocery stores within the same neighborhood so I think the balance is just right.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29402 posts
14902 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: None of the above.
I want Amazon.ca to expand to even what 1/2 of what .com is.
1 year later I still stand by this statement, especially since there's a warehouse nearby.
*hugs same day shipping*
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2004
13950 posts
187836 upvotes
Montreal
Hi there,

A Costco if possible. If not, Amazon.ca to expand more things...

Ju Leon...
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1025 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: 1 year later I still stand by this statement, especially since there's a warehouse nearby.
*hugs same day shipping*
They've gotten better at that but more would be good. Personally I'd like to see more competitive pricing on clothing.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1025 upvotes
gqbluez wrote: I'm happy with having a walmart as my closest store. I find the prices reasonable and the produce is generally pretty good and my experience inside the store is enjoyable.
Dynasty12345 wrote: I actually want a Walmart to come. Ppl without car are stuck with overpriced loblaw store or sobeys. Both don't price match and cost too much.
I was thinking general merchandise with the poll since we still have healthy grocery competition in this country with Loblaws/No Frills/Superstore, Sobey's/Freshco, Metro/Food Basics plus the grocery departments at Costco and Giant Tiger.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
1599 posts
624 upvotes
Toronto
NG wrote: I was thinking general merchandise with the poll since we still have healthy grocery competition in this country with Loblaws/No Frills/Superstore, Sobey's/Freshco, Metro/Food Basics plus the grocery departments at Costco and Giant Tiger.
For general merchandise I still thank Walmart is the best place to go. Best prices and I can usually find what I need without too much trouble.

If I absolutely had to choose a gen merch store I'd say target but...you know.

I'd also be pretty happy with a London Drugs although whenever I have shopped in an LD I have found their prices to be uncompetitive.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2015
2444 posts
933 upvotes
Ontario
NG wrote: I was thinking general merchandise with the poll since we still have healthy grocery competition in this country with Loblaws/No Frills/Superstore, Sobey's/Freshco, Metro/Food Basics plus the grocery departments at Costco and Giant Tiger.
Sure but for me I'm stuck with overpriced bs and they know that. Sucks there's no competition in my distance unless you get a car.

Walmart freshco no frill and Costco are my favourite when I went to them
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1025 upvotes
gqbluez wrote: For general merchandise I still thank Walmart is the best place to go. Best prices and I can usually find what I need without too much trouble.

If I absolutely had to choose a gen merch store I'd say target but...you know.
This thread started with looking at the void Target left and which store, or combination of stores, could fill the void.

I miss Target as well but found Walmart to be slacking off on product selection and raising prices since they left.

For example I just saw they discontinued the Price First 10pk garbage bags for $1 I always buy. Shopping around Giant Tiger seems to be in the lead with a 40pk for $4.47.

I also grabbed a no name electric shaver there for $10. The cheapest option at Walmart would have been over $50.

Additionally Walmart licensed tshirts seem to have become more generic (more Superheroes...really?) and their value end (RCA, Hipstreet etc) electronics selction seem to be getting smaller and smaller.

Heck even the Price First 24pk toilet paper just jumped in price from $3.77 to $4.27

Sigh...I miss Target.
Dynasty12345 wrote: Sure but for me I'm stuck with overpriced bs and they know that. Sucks there's no competition in my distance unless you get a car.
Fwiw I'm in the same boat with only a Sobeys and Loblaws near me so I catch rides or bus it to a cheaper supermarket. Ironically enough the only discount grocers easy to access with the bus is Food Basics (which doesn't price match)...or Walmart.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2486 posts
681 upvotes
Ancaster, ON
Kohl's, since there is no way Target will come back. We have more than enough cheap junky dollar type stores, we need something with better quality merchandise. Just doing some kids birthday gift shopping recently I got so fed up just finding garbage quality stuff, I just ended up going to Target in Buffalo and did my shopping there, thankfully it was a day when the dollar was higher.

If the Canadian dollar would just go back up I would just shop in the US more again. The lower dollar has not made me switch my shopping to Canada nor will it, I just buy less now.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)