[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2003
2878 posts
73 upvotes
Markham

What countries are open? 3 month vacation

Hey guys

I'm looking to go on a 3-month vacation starting Jan. Is there any countries that are open and relatively safe for travel? I think Thailand is open and Indonesia is not. Maui (USA) is open. I'm into nature, off the beaten path, drive-across-country type of vacation.
90 replies
Oct 31, 2012
554 posts
746 upvotes
Toronto
Thailand is not going to be open how you think it is based on both of their suggested plans (special visa and 24 hour minders). As for January thats too far to tell. This virus is still among us and will still be everywhere in Jan unfortunately (not a downer currently traveling myself). Many countries may decide to shut borders within 1 week (Hungary last month). Your only bet is to book airfare on points and make fully refundable or non prepaid 24 hour cancelable hotels. Otherwise your asking to be in the boat of everyone in the airline refund thread....
Jul 24, 2019
700 posts
853 upvotes
Canada
OP, you may also want to check what flights had COVID positive passengers/crew:
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/ ... #wb-auto-5
So far, October show problems on flights from South America, South Asia, Europe and Middle East.
Also will you be buying health insurance? Which insurer has a COVID policy? How much?
If you get sick in your destination country, are you comfortable with their health services? Hospital?
Also, we are in the influenza season and the season for regular respiratory viruses: respiratory syncytial virus, regular corona virus, rhinovirus, adenovirus and parainfluenza
Last edited by kimmelite on Oct 18th, 2020 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
May 7, 2015
278 posts
374 upvotes
Toronto, ON
kimmelite wrote: OP, you may also want to check what flights had COVID positive passengers/crew:
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/ ... #wb-auto-5
So far, October show problems on flights from South America, South Asia, Europe and Middle East.
Also will you be buying health insurance? Which insurer has a COVID policy? How much?
If you get sick in your destination country, are you comfortable with their health services? Hospital?
We have 800 new cases per day.
If you get sick do what the 800 do. Stay home 2 weeks in that 3 months. End of story . If you’re old don’t travel or take some regeneron
Last edited by moeymoeymoeymoe on Oct 18th, 2020 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Oct 31, 2012
554 posts
746 upvotes
Toronto
kimmelite wrote: If you get sick in your destination country, are you comfortable with their health services? Hospital?
Great point! Make sure your okay with a very long stay in a private hospital which even in Thailand will run you about 200 Cad a day without COVID measures which im sure ups the cost.

Also on the point of covid flights, I do look at them everyday for the past couple of months) it seems to be Turkish Airlines being top for business class passengers testing positive but other than that if you can book business. Compliance and spacing is all you need. With the proper airline (read most nowadays with a 1-2-1 config) you will be fine. Turkish seems to be the only airline with high pax numbers in business class and the 2-2-2 on most of their planes don't help. I've flown Swiss, united (787-10) in the past little bit over the pond and it was less than 15% full.
Jul 24, 2019
700 posts
853 upvotes
Canada
moeymoeymoeymoe wrote: We have 800 new cases per day.
If you get sick do what the 800 do. Stay home 2 weeks in that 3 months. End of story . If you’re old don’t travel or take some regeneron
It is difficult to predict the level of illness that will happen to each person as mutations have occurred: mild illness to severe illness.
It is difficult to predict COVID + influenza combined infections in each person and outcomes.
We are still learning.
Jul 24, 2019
700 posts
853 upvotes
Canada
donttoewsmebro wrote: Great point! Make sure your okay with a very long stay in a private hospital which even in Thailand will run you about 200 Cad a day without COVID measures which im sure ups the cost.

Also on the point of covid flights, I do look at them everyday for the past couple of months) it seems to be Turkish Airlines being top for business class passengers testing positive but other than that if you can book business. Compliance and spacing is all you need. With the proper airline (read most nowadays with a 1-2-1 config) you will be fine. Turkish seems to be the only airline with high pax numbers in business class and the 2-2-2 on most of their planes don't help. I've flown Swiss, united (787-10) in the past little bit over the pond and it was less than 15% full.
Thanks.
About one particular country: where do the flight crew go next? Which country? If the flight crew has asymptomatic carriers, they may share with colleagues, ground crew, airport security staff and passengers on their future flights around the world.
May 7, 2015
278 posts
374 upvotes
Toronto, ON
kimmelite wrote: It is difficult to predict the level of illness that will happen to each person as mutations have occurred: mild illness to severe illness.
It is difficult to predict COVID + influenza combined infections in each person and outcomes.
We are still learning.
Yes you are right, there is a level of risk there. But we can look at past cases and look at statistics that come out of those cases. There are an overwhelming number of recoveries without complications. Find out if you lie within the demographic of people and calculate your risk.
Oct 31, 2012
554 posts
746 upvotes
Toronto
kimmelite wrote: Thanks.
About one particular country: where do the flight crew go next? Which country? If the flight crew has asymptomatic carriers, they may share with colleagues, ground crew, airport security staff and passengers on their future flights around the world.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... NKBN2702S7

https://www.godsavethepoints.com/us-dod ... ght-study/

As for as flight crew, It spreading it to ground crew and all that not so much possible with how regulated they are nowadays with COVID. They are monitored and flights are being turned away if crew times are mismanaged at all. Airports are vast areas wear a mask and goggles if you feel. But as to your original question no one will know. I wouldn't plan on Asia at all tbh

Perhaps but its true if you feel at risk don't risk it. My father wants to travel he's earned the right after working his ass off since 16 in Africa. We've cancelled 3 trips because when it comes down to it he can't and I will not let him take the risk.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
9611 posts
2849 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
There are daily flights to Mexico. No self-isolation upon arrival.

It’s covid problems are largely in high population urban areas and in the interior states. Non-business travellers tend to go to lower population coastal areas. Health care is relatively inexpensive.

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

“Our house is on fire.” Greta Thunberg
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2004
5297 posts
1312 upvotes
Toronto
I've been here in the US for the last few weeks which is another great option... I left after the last round of restrictions in Ontario.

Apartments in Miami are cheaper than ever because of the lack of tourists, and virtually everything is open now. If you are looking for something a bit less urban there are plenty of beaches here along the east coast that are more laid back.
Jul 24, 2019
700 posts
853 upvotes
Canada
donttoewsmebro wrote: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... NKBN2702S7

https://www.godsavethepoints.com/us-dod ... ght-study/

As for as flight crew, It spreading it to ground crew and all that not so much possible with how regulated they are nowadays with COVID. They are monitored and flights are being turned away if crew times are mismanaged at all. Airports are vast areas wear a mask and goggles if you feel. But as to your original question no one will know. I wouldn't plan on Asia at all tbh

Perhaps but its true if you feel at risk don't risk it. My father wants to travel he's earned the right after working his ass off since 16 in Africa. We've cancelled 3 trips because when it comes down to it he can't and I will not let him take the risk.
Thanks for the information on the study.
The most important part of the article and the most important part of the study was
The study was led and funded by Transportation Command, which operates Patriot Express flights that use commercial planes like United’s for members of the military and their families.
The funder is too close to the industry to be unbiased.
The study did not include people walking up and down the aisle of the plane. The study did not include people eating, drinking or 'speaking moistly'. No crying babies and no toddlers running and screaming down the aisles.

A repeated study, by an impartial researcher would be good to have.

As I mentioned earlier, this virus and the situation in the Fall is evolving. Recent reports have changed from just droplet transmission on surfaces to possible airborne transmission. That's scary.
Last edited by kimmelite on Oct 18th, 2020 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Oct 31, 2012
554 posts
746 upvotes
Toronto
kimmelite wrote: Thanks for the information on the study.
The most important part of the article and the most important part of the study was

The funder is too close to the industry to be unbiased.
The study did not include people walking up and down the plane. The study did not include people eating, drinking or 'speaking moistly'. A repeated study, by an impartial researcher would be good to have.
So as the other poster said you seemed too worried why bother flying? Just take a road trip somewhere with people you trust. You are clearly not ready to fly. Sorry.
Jul 24, 2019
700 posts
853 upvotes
Canada
donttoewsmebro wrote: So as the other poster said you seemed too worried why bother flying? Just take a road trip somewhere with people you trust. You are clearly not ready to fly. Sorry.
Umm. I want to fly. When it's safe.
Umm. I am not worried. I am informed. I rely on evidence. Not emotion.
Enjoy your flights/vacations
Oct 31, 2012
554 posts
746 upvotes
Toronto
kimmelite wrote: Umm. I want to fly. When it's safe.
Umm. I am not worried. I am informed. I rely on evidence. Not emotion.
Enjoy your flights/vacations
Umm your asking about safety in Jan when we have a virus you are clearly worried. Umm evidence takes a while as you said its a new virus. Umm don't ask stupid questions without an easy Google search thats hits all your points

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/intern ... 226297.htm
Jul 24, 2019
700 posts
853 upvotes
Canada
moeymoeymoeymoe wrote: Yes you are right, there is a level of risk there. But we can look at past cases and look at statistics that come out of those cases. There are an overwhelming number of recoveries without complications. Find out if you lie within the demographic of people and calculate your risk.
Another solution:
1) wait for a vaccine or an immunotherapy
2) immunize everyone
3) wait until the numbers go down
4) go on vacation and fly again, when it's safe.

I am hoping that October 2021, we can say 'remember when' instead of 'when will this end' :)
Last edited by kimmelite on Oct 18th, 2020 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 24, 2019
700 posts
853 upvotes
Canada
donttoewsmebro wrote: Umm your asking about safety in Jan when we have a virus you are clearly worried. Umm evidence takes a while as you said its a new virus. Umm don't ask stupid questions without an easy Google search thats hits all your points. You couldn't even realize Thailand isn't near opening as you want it to be.

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/intern ... 226297.htm
[...] I am fighting this virus every day. I work with people who are sick. I am not worried. I am informed!
How bout you. [...]
Last edited by Mars2012 on Oct 18th, 2020 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: reported/removed irrelevant comment
Oct 31, 2012
554 posts
746 upvotes
Toronto
kimmelite wrote: [...] I am fighting this virus every day. I work with people who are sick. I am not worried. I am informed!
How bout you. [...]
[...]

My brother works anesthesiology in Boston and I have a handful of frontline workers in my immediate to semi immediate family.
Last edited by Mars2012 on Oct 18th, 2020 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: part of quote and response was removed