Travel

What are current COVID Issues in Vancouver?

  • Last Updated:
  • May 25th, 2021 4:43 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36250 posts
10430 upvotes
Ottawa

What are current COVID Issues in Vancouver?

Or in the Lower mainland?
I have looked at local Vancouver newspapers and it is somewhat confusing and limited information.
Are things open? Is travel restricted? Are masks required?
Seems I can fly into BC (Vancouver) but there are restrictions on travel within regions in BC?
Any RFDers out there can pass on info?

I need to go there in the next week or so due to my Mother passing
18 replies
Member
Aug 12, 2014
276 posts
200 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Pete_Coach wrote: Or in the Lower mainland?
I have looked at local Vancouver newspapers and it is somewhat confusing and limited information.
Are things open? Is travel restricted? Are masks required?
Seems I can fly into BC (Vancouver) but there are restrictions on travel within regions in BC?
Any RFDers out there can pass on info?

I need to go there in the next week or so due to my Mother passing
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/travel/current

current restriction is in effect until may 25th and you are subject to the same restrictions as the locals. you might need to present proof for essential travel at the departing airport

hope it helps, My condolences
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2019
3098 posts
20084 upvotes
Sorry for your loss.

You are allowed to travel between regions to attend a funeral (may require proof), detailed info posted here and the travel restrictions are in effect until May 25th.

Reasons for essential travel
Essential travel between regions is allowed. Essential reasons include:

Returning to your principal residence, moving or helping someone move
Work, both paid and unpaid (volunteer)
Commercial transportation of goods
Getting health care or social services or helping someone get those services
Court appearance, complying with a court order or parole check-in
Exercising parental responsibilities (including spending time as a parent with a minor child)
Accessing child care services
Attending classes at a post-secondary institution or school
Responding to emergencies or a critical incident, like search and rescue operations
Providing care to a person because of a psychological, behavioural or health condition, or a physical, cognitive or mental impairment
Visiting a resident as an essential or social visitor at long-term care or assisted living facility
Fleeing the risk of abuse or violence
Attending a funeral
Local residents travelling into or out of the Nisga’a Health Authority region from the Northern/Interior travel region

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covi ... el/current
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36250 posts
10430 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks. I got that info from the websites. I was just wondering the situation out there. Restaurants open etc.
Yes, Funerals are deemed essential reasons for travel. It will be a small family only service as in BC it is limited to 10 people for closure, then a celebration later.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Sep 23, 2013
554 posts
577 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Aside from the official info, I can tell you that all restaurants that have patio space are operational for outdoor dining only. The weather has been awesome lately and people are out eating on patios, so anywhere you are considering, make sure to call ahead/go online and book ur table.

Basically all retail businesses are open with minimal to no lineups. Masks are mandated indoors and everyone is on board. Outdoors they arent mandated but most people walking on the street wear them. If youre on a patio, or at an outdoor hang with buddies, most people leave the mask off.

Hope this helps
No fanboyism here. I only pledge allegiance to the hotness. - Flossy Carter
Jr. Member
Sep 19, 2019
153 posts
259 upvotes
vancouver
hartzfizzo wrote: Aside from the official info, I can tell you that all restaurants that have patio space are operational for outdoor dining only. The weather has been awesome lately and people are out eating on patios, so anywhere you are considering, make sure to call ahead/go online and book ur table.

Basically all retail businesses are open with minimal to no lineups. Masks are mandated indoors and everyone is on board. Outdoors they arent mandated but most people walking on the street wear them. If youre on a patio, or at an outdoor hang with buddies, most people leave the mask off.

Hope this helps
Not sure where you live but I’m downtown and can tell you it’s about 20% of people who wear masks outside at the most. It’s probably the people that don’t realize outdoor transmission is nonexistent.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 5, 2008
14630 posts
8906 upvotes
Toronto
sorry for your loss Pete
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36250 posts
10430 upvotes
Ottawa
Swerny wrote: sorry for your loss Pete
Thanks all for the condolences. She was almost 95. A good long life.

As an aside, Air Canada and Westjet are making up for loses with the price of a ticket nowadays.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 6, 2002
9133 posts
2118 upvotes
Vancouver
Hey Pete sorry to hear the unfortunate circumstance of your trip.

We should know by Tuesday what the new regulations will be but rumour is we should get indoor dining back. Masks required indoors when not seated at a table, like when going to the bathroom. Patios no masks.

Vancouver has done a great job of ripping out parking spots to jam in temporary patios. Generally the restaurants have heaters too due to our long shoulder season however the temp patios are unlikely to have them. Also BC is a lot more easy going about plastic curtains to protect from rain / wind

The restaurants by English bay are super jammed (as is English bay in general) and majority of restaurants have a strict 90 minute time limit But really just in that area

Most restaurants will not take reservations so best to show up early. Most people plop the self on a patio non stop til it gets chilly so it’s a good idea to go early. I’d recommend calling asking for a reservation and if they say no just ask when is a safe time to show up, beat the crowd. Things tend to get busy around happy hour 3pm but sometimes 2 pm as many people in Vancouver work in eastern or central time. The mall is open if that’s your kind of thing. Public bathrooms open.

If there’s any restaurant downtown you’d like me to comment on just PM me or post here and I’ll let you know how busy that patio is as I’m often biking around when I’m not at the bar.

As far as travel restrictions it’s done by health authority. Downtown Vancouver is Vancouver coastal health and Burnaby is frasier health. You are allowed to cross these two health authorities but otherwise it you are not to cross boundaries. Including Vancouver island

There are some check points but they tell you that ahead. There is also clear signage of the upcoming road block and safe u turn instructions. The police said Goal is to educate and not fine people. However if you refuse to turn around they can fine you.

Vaccine rollout is good here. I have a friend who’s 24 and she got her date moved up.

Enjoy the city and if I can help please message me

It appears the police will have check points at the usual 4 spots and some surprise locations this long weekend. Looks like they will lift those travel restrictions after the long weekend. If you’re travelling for a funeral you’ll be allowed to pass the check points

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covi ... N_BC__Text


https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/trav ... eo-3801193

Update: one of my buddy who worked at a hotel kitchen with no patio has been called back to work on the 28. It’s looking. Like Tuesday we will have indoor dining again but as typical politicians do. They basically say nothing in the news but it sure sounds like something. I think if that’s don’t spike hard over the weekend. Indoor / outdoor dining is back ans travel restrictions gone.
Autocorrect sucks
Sr. Member
Dec 26, 2015
517 posts
306 upvotes
Manitoba
Pete_Coach wrote: Thanks all for the condolences. She was almost 95. A good long life.

As an aside, Air Canada and Westjet are making up for loses with the price of a ticket nowadays.
but only to Vancouver it seems. Looking to book a trip with the wife in September, roundrip from Winnipeg is $200 each. Thats half if not cheaper than normal. Everywhere else in Canada is like $750 roundtrip
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
8707 posts
4581 upvotes
GangStarr wrote: Hey Pete sorry to hear the unfortunate circumstance of your trip.

We should know by Tuesday what the new regulations will be but rumour is we should get indoor dining back. Masks required indoors when not seated at a table, like when going to the bathroom. Patios no masks.

Vancouver has done a great job of ripping out parking spots to jam in temporary patios. Generally the restaurants have heaters too due to our long shoulder season however the temp patios are unlikely to have them. Also BC is a lot more easy going about plastic curtains to protect from rain / wind

The restaurants by English bay are super jammed (as is English bay in general) and majority of restaurants have a strict 90 minute time limit But really just in that area

Most restaurants will not take reservations so best to show up early. Most people plop the self on a patio non stop til it gets chilly so it’s a good idea to go early. I’d recommend calling asking for a reservation and if they say no just ask when is a safe time to show up, beat the crowd. Things tend to get busy around happy hour 3pm but sometimes 2 pm as many people in Vancouver work in eastern or central time. The mall is open if that’s your kind of thing. Public bathrooms open.

If there’s any restaurant downtown you’d like me to comment on just PM me or post here and I’ll let you know how busy that patio is as I’m often biking around when I’m not at the bar.

As far as travel restrictions it’s done by health authority. Downtown Vancouver is Vancouver coastal health and Burnaby is frasier health. You are allowed to cross these two health authorities but otherwise it you are not to cross boundaries. Including Vancouver island

There are some check points but they tell you that ahead. There is also clear signage of the upcoming road block and safe u turn instructions. The police said Goal is to educate and not fine people. However if you refuse to turn around they can fine you.

Vaccine rollout is good here. I have a friend who’s 24 and she got her date moved up.

Enjoy the city and if I can help please message me

It appears the police will have check points at the usual 4 spots and some surprise locations this long weekend. Looks like they will lift those travel restrictions after the long weekend. If you’re travelling for a funeral you’ll be allowed to pass the check points

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covi ... N_BC__Text


https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/trav ... eo-3801193

Update: one of my buddy who worked at a hotel kitchen with no patio has been called back to work on the 28. It’s looking. Like Tuesday we will have indoor dining again but as typical politicians do. They basically say nothing in the news but it sure sounds like something. I think if that’s don’t spike hard over the weekend. Indoor / outdoor dining is back ans travel restrictions gone.
Great summary of the situation.

I wonder how Vancouver's approach and situation compares to the rest of the country.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 6, 2002
9133 posts
2118 upvotes
Vancouver
Veeshmack wrote: but only to Vancouver it seems. Looking to book a trip with the wife in September, roundrip from Winnipeg is $200 each. Thats half if not cheaper than normal. Everywhere else in Canada is like $750 roundtrip
I suspect it’s routes that flair air is flying is why were seeing these low prices. Flair is even cheaper ($180 to Toronto/Ottawa to Vancouver ) flair has more reasonable bag fees.

Frankly I’d worry about them going out of business or having technical problems with their small fleet.

I’d stick to AC personally

Also BC has had indoor dining for almost exactly a year now save for the past months circuit breaker. I know I would be considering hanging my self if I live in Toronto with all their tight rules and on off patio dining.

I can’t believe there’s a concern about patio dining. Inside I somewhat understand.

Hopefully Tuesday ends most of these restrictions.
Autocorrect sucks
Sr. Member
Dec 26, 2015
517 posts
306 upvotes
Manitoba
GangStarr wrote: I suspect it’s routes that flair air is flying is why were seeing these low prices. Flair is even cheaper ($180 to Toronto/Ottawa to Vancouver ) flair has more reasonable bag fees.

Frankly I’d worry about them going out of business or having technical problems with their small fleet.

I’d stick to AC personally

Also BC has had indoor dining for almost exactly a year now save for the past months circuit breaker. I know I would be considering hanging my self if I live in Toronto with all their tight rules and on off patio dining.

I can’t believe there’s a concern about patio dining. Inside I somewhat understand.

Hopefully Tuesday ends most of these restrictions.
nope. its both West Jet and Air Canada offering these prices.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 6, 2002
9133 posts
2118 upvotes
Vancouver
Veeshmack wrote: nope. its both West Jet and Air Canada offering these prices.
Sorry to be more clear. AC and westjet are reacting to flair air pricing.
Autocorrect sucks
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36250 posts
10430 upvotes
Ottawa
GangStarr wrote: Hey Pete sorry to hear the unfortunate circumstance of your trip.

We should know by Tuesday what the new regulations will be but rumour is we should get indoor dining back. Masks required indoors when not seated at a table, like when going to the bathroom. Patios no masks.

.......
Update: one of my buddy who worked at a hotel kitchen with no patio has been called back to work on the 28. It’s looking. Like Tuesday we will have indoor dining again but as typical politicians do. They basically say nothing in the news but it sure sounds like something. I think if that’s don’t spike hard over the weekend. Indoor / outdoor dining is back ans travel restrictions gone.
Thanks for all the info.
My Brother and Sister in Law are doing the legwork for the funeral and all the things associated with her passing. I was wanting to take them out for a nice dinner as a small token of appreciation.
The earliest we could get a Pastor and date for the funeral is 4 June. I am glad to hear that some things may open and change by the time we get there.
Oh and, Premium Economy was almost $2K.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 7, 2003
20953 posts
1207 upvotes
Shanghai, China
CheapDude69 wrote: Not sure where you live but I’m downtown and can tell you it’s about 20% of people who wear masks outside at the most. It’s probably the people that don’t realize outdoor transmission is nonexistent.
I've been living in Downtown Vancouver for the past 5 months and I would agree with what you're saying.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2006
3312 posts
3094 upvotes
Ontario
choclover wrote: Great summary of the situation.

I wonder how Vancouver's approach and situation compares to the rest of the country.
GangStarr wrote: Also BC has had indoor dining for almost exactly a year now save for the past months circuit breaker. I know I would be considering hanging my self if I live in Toronto with all their tight rules and on off patio dining.

I can’t believe there’s a concern about patio dining. Inside I somewhat understand.

Hopefully Tuesday ends most of these restrictions.
In ON, outdoor patio dining up to 4 per table may re-open June 14 in Stage 1 but is predicated on:
1. 60% of Ontario’s adults receiving at least one dose of a vaccine (we're almost there apparently)
2. public health indicators, such as hospitalizations, ICU occupancy and new admissions and case rates indicate the province can safely move to this step of the roadmap (ICU occupancy is still too high - double the pre-covid crisis level - based on doctor friend)

As for shutting down outdoor patio dining, my guess the reasons are 2 fold:
1. People sit with different households. Do restaurants really enforce the same household rule (and this assumes the customers are truthful in their response even if asked)?
2. If you sit 1.5 to 2 hours in close proximity face-to-face to each other, the risk is significant when you're unmasked. People are supposed to be masked at the table while not eating but try to find someone who constantly removes/reapply the mask while slowly slipping a cocktail while chatting away the night.

When we chat outdoors (maskless), we prefer to do it on lawn chairs at least 6 feet away from the next person and not at a restaurant table 3-4 feet away from the 2 people sitting literally face-to-face from us.

Trying to get ICU cases down is a slow process as sick people stay there for weeks on end.

Also, many healthy people don't see the bigger picture with covid. Problem is ON now has a 3 year backlog on surgeries, treatments etc. because of covid. This will affect many non-Covid patients, including the current healthy ones, down the road if they ever require hospital care. Don't expect a "reasonable" wait time (and wait times were already long pre-covid)

...and when the backlog has finally cleared, SARS-CoV-3 will have arrived.

Top