Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 20, 2003
536 posts
49 upvotes

What’s the best non Amex daily driver ?

Hi Al,

I was wondering what the best daily driver card is. Mainly looking for a good redemption tiers here.

I have an AMEX that I use for everything else along with very good travel insurance, but I find the biggest issue is it isn’t accepted everywhere. So I’m looking for a MasterCard or Visa that I could use on a daily basis to get a good return. I’m not really looking to get two or three cards to maximize each gas/grocery etc but some thing as a daily driver.

I used to use the capital one elite but that clearly has been nerfed I’m looking for a replacement for that. I don’t necessarily need all the travel parks with it but some thing with around 2% would be good
7 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13056 posts
8292 upvotes
Markham
"I have an AMEX that I use for everything else"

What's the top big spendings that don't accept amex? Then find a card that best fit the gap
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2002
1690 posts
429 upvotes
HSBC WE, 1.5% back if cashed in on travel $50 net fee. No FTF and a few other benefits.

No current visa/MC that you can signup for offers 2% for everything. Rogers 1.75% was the last closest, but that’s ended.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2012
1842 posts
519 upvotes
Montreal
Kenneth wrote: HSBC WE, 1.5% back if cashed in on travel $50 net fee. No FTF and a few other benefits.

No current visa/MC that you can signup for offers 2% for everything. Rogers 1.75% was the last closest, but that’s ended.
Isnt Rogers still 1.5 no AF
Jul 5, 2021
131 posts
138 upvotes
Kenneth wrote: HSBC WE, 1.5% back if cashed in on travel $50 net fee. No FTF and a few other benefits.

Brim WE offers 2% for everything, albeit with an annual fee of $199.
Jul 31, 2012
600 posts
807 upvotes
Toronto
I'm using the TD Aeroplan visa infinite, I value AP at about 2 cents each, free with the all inclusive account
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15531 posts
14044 upvotes
Going to the Moon
While AmEx Cobalt is one of my lead cards, I also have
  1. CTFS Down-pointing Red TriangleWE - partner stores, fallback grocery, utilities. Also have Cash Advantage for MS, BT's, SBA, alternative for utilities
  2. CDC Icey White VISA (prepaid) - 5% everything but there are a handful of exclusions (mainly to mitigate MS), also my lead forex card
  3. US cards: two Cap1 MC's - SBA's and forex VoIP that requires 3Ds, AmEx Cash Magnet for US extended warranty, eBay in USD (avoids DCC). I also have TD Cash VISA, but it's drawered and will probably let it die off. My US credit history can continue building through the other cards that are more appealing to maintain
  4. A bunch of other cards for churning and BT's

TLDR AmEx Cobalt, CTFS Down-pointing Red Triangle WE and CDC Icey White are my lead CAD trifecta.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]