Home & Garden

What’s the best snow blower I can buy and when are the big discounts? - Quebec winters

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 19th, 2018 9:54 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3536 posts
315 upvotes

What’s the best snow blower I can buy and when are the big discounts? - Quebec winters

I have snow removal service but I spend too much of my time moving cars, moving snow from in front of the garage where the snow removal service can’t reach with their truck and I have a large path and back landing, Double Garage that Is just too much to do manually.

I want a great quality snow blower and I’m talking to Quebecer’s that tell me they spent upwards of 2k, but they aren’t RFDers.

When is the best time to buy one, where, and which model? Do the discounts get as high as 59% off so that a 2k one costs 1K?

I’m also open to buying in the states if I really had to and warranty was honored in Canada.

Thanks!
8 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
28897 posts
14454 upvotes
Toronto
I thought Honda was on sale at beg of winter season (nov ??)
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16130 posts
4954 upvotes
London
I think it's peak storm season right now, so no big discounts until closer to the end of the season (late Feb, mid March).

Best bet would be Rona/Lowe's when they hold a tax free weekend or scratch/save. Also Rona/ Lowe's is trying to reintroduce the "Craftsman" brand now that Sears is gone, so maybe an introductory sale?
Nov 18, 2008
735 posts
300 upvotes
Toronto
Bought Remington 250cc at Lowe’s for almost $400 off and that thing is a beast... total came to under $800. cut through the hard packed snow left by the city no issues.

You really have only two choices, big box brands($600-$1500) and these “prosumer”/“professional”($1500 Up) brands which you would have to go and checkout at lawn/snow equipment store.

For something that i use few times a year, I just didn’t feel the need for something too expensive.. engine should be the least worry as long as it is powerful enough, it’s really the drivetrain which determine reliability.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7239 posts
4473 upvotes
Victoria, BC
We bought Briggs and Stratton 2 stage 250cc 27 inch from Lowes. Got it for about $800 on black Friday sale (normally about $1300). Thing works great (we're in Ottawa). We have a humongous driveway (big enough to park at least 12 cars (3 side by side). My husband also uses it to clear trails in our backyard for the dogs (their racetrack lol).
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1329 upvotes
Just get the cheapest. Prices for snowblowers have come down for the past 5 years thanks to Made in China !
Previously most of the engines were still made in the USA and the chassis made elswhere, not any longer !
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
3760 posts
275 upvotes
+1 for the 26" Remington from Lowe's. Black Friday deal plus 10% in-store discount = $710 taxes in. Chewed up the snow on the large driveway, plus the mountain left of the end of the driveway by the plows, with no problem!