• Last Updated:
  • Aug 10th, 2021 9:38 pm
[OP]
Jun 28, 2009
322 posts
135 upvotes

What’s better: laundry on second floor or extra bathroom

Hello,

So just a bit about the home. It is a detached double car with 4 bedroom and 2.5 washroom. Under 2500 sq ft

There is a unfinished basement and a laundry room on the second floor about 35 sq ft with a sink.

Between personal and investment purposes, what is better in your opinion?

1. Turn the 35 sq foot laundry into another washroom and move the laundry into the basement
2. Keep as status quo

Are there also any piping or financial considerations for pursuing option 1?
28 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2009
1593 posts
961 upvotes
Windsor, ON area
I'd rather have a second floor laundry than a third bathroom on the second floor.

But having a third bathroom in the basement would be nice.
May 11, 2017
30 posts
16 upvotes
I'd say take the third bathroom option. As it makes it easier for both personal and investment purposes that one of the bedrooms will have their own ensuite (which usually is the case for a 4+3).
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6575 posts
3726 upvotes
Toronto
Right now, one bedroom has an en-suite and the other three bedrooms share one bathroom? Definitely make another bathroom if you can. I don't really consider something a real, permanent bedroom unless it has its own bathroom, these days.

Also means that any laundry-related leaks aren't going to damage anything.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2017
5224 posts
5262 upvotes
Ottawa
Four bed homes are generally sought out by couples with children. Lugging laundry down the stairs to the basement can be a PIA. I would simply keep it as is and make sure to sound proof the laundry room as much as possible.

Costs to converting it to a bathroom depend on the current location of the laundry room and the placement of the plumbing stack. Water is obviously not a problem nor should a drain for the sink be an issue as it is already there for the laundry room. The toilet though may be a challenge. Depends on the location of the laundry room and what is underneath it.
Jul 4, 2018
509 posts
448 upvotes
If your laundry can be on main floor, go for 3rd washroom
No brainer
[OP]
Jun 28, 2009
322 posts
135 upvotes
skeet50 wrote: Four bed homes are generally sought out by couples with children. Lugging laundry down the stairs to the basement can be a PIA. I would simply keep it as is and make sure to sound proof the laundry room as much as possible.

Costs to converting it to a bathroom depend on the current location of the laundry room and the placement of the plumbing stack. Water is obviously not a problem nor should a drain for the sink be an issue as it is already there for the laundry room. The toilet though may be a challenge. Depends on the location of the laundry room and what is underneath it.

I believe underneath it is the kitchen. Does that help make the plumbing easier or harder?
Aug 22, 2016
556 posts
332 upvotes
Avoid the idea of washroom if it is located right above the kitchen. Bad feng shui.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
3213 posts
6158 upvotes
Toronto/Markham
I'd be curious of all who responded, how many do laundry regularly. Then ask the same question of people who live in homes and are responsible for laundry. lol
Realtor®
Jun 11, 2006
548 posts
563 upvotes
I think a 3rd bathroom (on 2nd floor) of a house less than 2500 sq ft would seem excessive (I have a house that size myself).

Regardless, I prefer a 2nd floor laundry. We have a sound dampening door on our 2nd floor laundry, though you do still hear noise. Not enough to make me want it in the basement though!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2017
5224 posts
5262 upvotes
Ottawa
RichmondCA wrote: I'd be curious of all who responded, how many do laundry regularly. Then ask the same question of people who live in homes and are responsible for laundry. lol
I do 99% of the laundry in our home and in a regular 2 storey house where all the bedrooms are on the 2nd floor I would always want the laundry room on the 2nd floor. The only laundry that is done for the 1st floor is the kitchen and half bath towels. The vast majority of laundry items - clothing and bedding and towels are used and stored on the second floor. Dragging these items up and down flights of stairs is just poor planning imo.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2020
2625 posts
3149 upvotes
I do 95% of laundry, personally love the basement.

-noise, I guess when the toddler is older this reason goes away but I know nurses and docs who swear by it being far from the bedrooms during overnight shift times
-leaks...just one in 7 yrs, our fault but that doesn't change the amount of damage water does.
-volume...I'm a piles of clothes type who then knocks off 5 loads in a day, so I know myself and a small laundry room would be tight for the piles plus bins of clean clothes that seem to sit for days
-mess...I'm a leave bottles and bins and sprays etc out and as well when washing something messy, I get water everywhere. It's best my mess is contained to the unfinished basement. I'm unfortunately the same in the kitchen...
-hang to dry, we have a lot for work (normally) and the racks take up space

As well, we have a 3 bed home so the small laundry room makes for a nice (but small) office so we don't lose a bedroom as a home office. It also has a window, front of house view. More of a gain compared to if it was a small windowless laundry room.

Just what works for us.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1568 posts
1342 upvotes
Etobicoke
I do 70% of the laundry and we have it on the second floor. we bought new and changed plans to put in on the second. I would never want it in the basement.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
2769 posts
1922 upvotes
Do you have another bathroom on the 2nd fl? Im assuming there is an ensuite + 3pc bath then just a powder room on the main floor

I say 2nd fl laundry. Id leave the provision open in the basement if you change your mind in the future.
[OP]
Jun 28, 2009
322 posts
135 upvotes
Biscayne05 wrote: Do you have another bathroom on the 2nd fl? Im assuming there is an ensuite + 3pc bath then just a powder room on the main floor

I say 2nd fl laundry. Id leave the provision open in the basement if you change your mind in the future.
Yes the second floor is ensuite plus one full bath.

We also have rough in for a washroom in basement so once basement is finished there be atleast 3.5 washrooms with the .5 on the first floor
Jan 22, 2021
465 posts
819 upvotes
I guess most pros and cons have been mentioned already. Personally would take an extra washroom. These days there are lot of people looking for 3 bathrooms upstairs if the homes are 2800-3000 Sqft or larger. Includes people with teenage kids or parents living together. Also washrooms are better off being as personal as possible.

I do all the laundry in my household and I am ok with laundry being on any floor of the house. I have lived in all 3 situations where laundry is in the second floor, first floor or basement.

My preference
1. Main floor laundry right off the garage (Either part of the mud room or a separate space).
2. Laundry in the Basement. I do not have to carry all the loads at the same time. Just pile on when we get a chance and run it at night. I was ok carrying the laundry items in bulk to the basement when it was needed.
3. Laundry on the second floor. Too noisy and threat of leaks like others mentioned. I do most of my laundry at night time when family is upstairs and do not like vibrating noise. I also find laundry to be waste of good space on the 2nd floor.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 27, 2004
7739 posts
5702 upvotes
Toronto
third bathroom better resale I think.
Full-time Realtor
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6575 posts
3726 upvotes
Toronto
RichmondCA wrote: I'd be curious of all who responded, how many do laundry regularly. Then ask the same question of people who live in homes and are responsible for laundry. lol
I used to have the worst of both worlds - laundry in the basement and one bathroom shared between three bedrooms (parents had the ensuite). I got used to doing laundry in the basement, you don't have to do it constantly and it's just stairs. I would much rather that than have to share a bathroom with too many people again, in addition to having to wait at inopportune moments, I just never felt clean.

I guess the follow-up question for OP is whether he intends to use all four bedrooms as bedrooms. If one's a home office and the other is a guest bedroom used once in a blue moon, it's a different situation entirely.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2014
2374 posts
2417 upvotes
I have had both types of scenarios in the homes that I have lived in before. Doesn't make much difference in the selling price. Since it's already there, I would leave it and not bother. Finish the basement with a nice washroom/shower.

Word of advice => Make sure your front load washer/dryer is not on those stands and flat on the floor or stack them because this is the second floor.
[OP]
Jun 28, 2009
322 posts
135 upvotes
jmc111 wrote: I have had both types of scenarios in the homes that I have lived in before. Doesn't make much difference in the selling price. Since it's already there, I would leave it and not bother. Finish the basement with a nice washroom/shower.

Word of advice => Make sure your front load washer/dryer is not on those stands and flat on the floor or stack them because this is the second floor.
What are these stands you mention in words of advice?