• May 12th, 2021 8:25 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 7, 2008
714 posts
188 upvotes
Leask

What’s a good tent for camping?

So I like to get a tent. Potentially up to five adults. But most of the time, is two adults plus a kid.

What to look for? Any recommendations? Newbie in camping
5 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
46769 posts
9869 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
If youre a newbie. Just get a coleman.
There are performance tents. But that might be more than you need for the annual trip. Or every other year.
They strong, light, and expensive.

You want to double the size for comfort.
If it says 5 people tent... that means 5 people shoulder to shoulder. Spooning each other.
So if you really got 5. Go for a 10 person tent!
[OP]
Mar 7, 2008
714 posts
188 upvotes
Leask
UrbanPoet wrote: If youre a newbie. Just get a coleman.
There are performance tents. But that might be more than you need for the annual trip. Or every other year.
They strong, light, and expensive.

You want to double the size for comfort.
If it says 5 people tent... that means 5 people shoulder to shoulder. Spooning each other.
So if you really got 5. Go for a 10 person tent!
Good point!

How about air mattress?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
46769 posts
9869 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
THINKPOD wrote: Good point!

How about air mattress?
Hmmm... funny thing is sleeping on a yoga matt is warmer. But not as comfy.
Ground is a great insulator, air mattress not so much.
It gets surprisingly cold @ night in the bush. Even when the days are blazing hot.
I do have the cheapest air mattress from walmart. Works fine. People complain they deflate. But only by a bit... just inflate it for the next night . I use these as backup bedding for cottage trips.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2011
1944 posts
586 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
UrbanPoet wrote: Hmmm... funny thing is sleeping on a yoga matt is warmer. But not as comfy.
Ground is a great insulator, air mattress not so much.
It gets surprisingly cold @ night in the bush. Even when the days are blazing hot.
I do have the cheapest air mattress from walmart. Works fine. People complain they deflate. But only by a bit... just inflate it for the next night . I use these as backup bedding for cottage trips.
here you nailed it, LOL.
<No Anti-Liberal political content in signatures>
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
1792 posts
2229 upvotes
Barrie, ON
You definitely want to oversize your tent. 5 people, would be a 8-10person tent at least, lol. A good sleeping pad will make all the difference. Keeping a nice thick layer between you and the ground will keep you warm. I use a Alps self inflating mattress pad filled with memory foam, it's extremely comfortable.