• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2020 10:38 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 24, 2005
485 posts
68 upvotes

What’s a good TV brand?

Our TV just broke and I need a new one. What’s a good brand of TV? Looking to spend less than $1000 on it and would like anything from 55” - 65”. There won’t be any speakers or sound system with it so a TV that doesn’t sound fun-like would be appreciated too. Any tips or advice would be appreciated.
16 replies
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2007
10138 posts
1396 upvotes
Mississauga
TCL, Buy from Costco
RFD 43-0-0
Ebay 37-0-0
|Dance.Flirt.Music.Chill|
Nov 28, 2011
873 posts
378 upvotes
Markham
Sony, Samsung, LG, Vizio

Everything else is just cheap Chinese junk (with some exceptions like higher-end models from Hisense/TCL)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
9961 posts
4243 upvotes
Vaughan
Sony
With budget $1,000 for 55-65, TLC is your best bet.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2013
1520 posts
638 upvotes
Vancouver
bartium wrote: Sony, Samsung, LG, Vizio

Everything else is just cheap Chinese junk (with some exceptions like higher-end models from Hisense/TCL)
Agree
Do not buy TCL. Is one of the worse TV to troubleshoot since their menu is in very odd places (Trust me I know).
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
3860 posts
951 upvotes
Kingston
This is a very open ended question

You can get a lot of brands for a $1000 or less in the 55 to 65" range

However, what do you prefer? Roku, Android TV, Brand based platform?

You have lots of options ranging from TCL, Hisense, Samsung, LG, Sony, Vizio, etc, but it comes down to what you want out of the TV.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
2430 posts
1609 upvotes
North Vancouver
Suggest you spend some time here: https://www.rtings.com
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. (George Carlin)
Guns don't kill people, people kill people. And monkeys do too - if they have a gun. (Eddie Izzard)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2994 upvotes
Even sony makes bad tvs, but it depends on the model. Asking for brands is silly, unless you're asking whether a particular brand makes its own tvs instead of a 3rd party making it for the listed brand (.e.g Westinghouse is just a licensed name sold to whomever wants to pay for it).
Mar 5, 2018
367 posts
169 upvotes
We always bought Sony, but seems since last 5-7 years, Sony TV are not reliable anymore. I'm having a Sony that Youtube has changed their program and Sony cannot update their software software, it becomes unusable. The TV is frozen time to time I have to unplug and replug it to reset. In the family, someone has a big last year model (Android TV), it's frozen as well, the only way is to unplug it.

Other family members using Samsung since year with no problem at all. So I don't recommend Sony TV to avoid trouble. Next one I buy will be a Samsung.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
9311 posts
2275 upvotes
London
I have a Sony 42" 1080P LCD TV for over 10 years, still working fine. Bought a Sharp 50" 4K (Hisense) last year and is a piece of junk, remote stop working after a year (draining battery within a day, bought an universal Philips remote to solve problem) and will disconnect my HDMI arc sound bar randomly, need to restart it from TV menu. No such problem when the soundbar was connected to the Sony.
Oct 23, 2016
76 posts
9 upvotes
Bought a Sony x700d in 2016 for Black Friday 55 inch $1000 bucks. It has been a great tv, was the low end model but never had any problems with it.

Looking to get a Sony oled this Black Friday.
[OP]
Dec 24, 2005
485 posts
68 upvotes
kcorscadden wrote: This is a very open ended question

You can get a lot of brands for a $1000 or less in the 55 to 65" range

However, what do you prefer? Roku, Android TV, Brand based platform?

You have lots of options ranging from TCL, Hisense, Samsung, LG, Sony, Vizio, etc, but it comes down to what you want out of the TV.

We have an Android box, but I'm out of the loop for TV's. Something to gather our subscriptions into one like Roku works I think.
[OP]
Dec 24, 2005
485 posts
68 upvotes
badOne wrote: Even sony makes bad tvs, but it depends on the model. Asking for brands is silly, unless you're asking whether a particular brand makes its own tvs instead of a 3rd party making it for the listed brand (.e.g Westinghouse is just a licensed name sold to whomever wants to pay for it).
Is a better question: which brand consistently makes the best budget big screens?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2005
5084 posts
1039 upvotes
Burlington
Have a 10 year old Sony that still works great. Also have a 4 year old Samsung that is also working flawlessly. Was seriously considering a Panasonic but decided on the Samsung at the time.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1384 posts
1415 upvotes
ON
All my life (even while growing up), we’ve never had a TV other than Sony. Can’t remember if we ever had trouble with any. Touch wood!
”If you buy things you don’t need, soon you will have to sell things you need.”