Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19112 posts
2050 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble

What’s the ultimate rice mod?

https://images.carscoops.com/2019/03/7e ... cept-2.jpg

It’s got to be the wing.

I’m not saying it looks bad but that it’s the most popular mod people do to rice it up.

I guess that’s why the conservative vw GTI has never really come with a wing from factory and it looks bland as all get out.

Btw these are parts you can eventually order from Hyundai for the new velosters. I’ve seen people put the focus rs wing on their focus st and it looks good as well. This one looks uncannily similar to the civic type Rs.
60 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
2313 posts
1883 upvotes
Markham
I’m awaiting delivery on a Civic Sedan Touring. I added the Aero Kit to it and for 5 seconds I thought about adding a Type-R style of wing but realized I’d look like an idiot with my Rice Burner.

I think the wing/spoiler is the obvious one. Wheels come next. I’ve seen what I would call small cars with ridiculous low profile tires with 20” rims. I guess finally there’s paint jobs, though this guy probably doesn’t qualify.
Images
  • 7235A8D5-139D-495F-8AC3-D5A05CBAD6F1.jpeg

Koodo $40/8GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35263 posts
21250 upvotes
Center of Universe
Hella flush angers me more than anything.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2007
9819 posts
4750 upvotes
Muffler delete
Telus $45 25GB
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
5995 posts
671 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
Redflagdeals.com sticker
--
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2008
1028 posts
633 upvotes
TDot
The real question is what kind of car gets the rice treatment these days. Waay back in the day the obvious answer was Civics/Integras.

Today I think it's entry level German that went through a significant part of the depreciation curve. Basically previous gen A4/C Class/3 Series.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11644 posts
2144 upvotes
Toronto
booblehead wrote: Obnoxious loud exhaust
Used to be referred to as the 'bumble bee' rattle can.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15724 posts
13469 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Stupid huge spoilers, dumb stickers, stupid offset wheels, huge wheels on an econo box with puny brakes and of course the stupid sounding exhaust on a 4 cylinder rice can.
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
12286 posts
1167 upvotes
Brampton
Big mud flaps look awful.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Dec 10, 2007
623 posts
448 upvotes
Arviat
off center license plate and performance trim badge
Remember when you liked what you currently have
Jan 8, 2015
373 posts
319 upvotes
Mississauga
im a ricer.

I got gold plasti dipped rims
large mud flaps
off center front plate
catless downpipe on a 4cyl turbo
stickers up my ass

i love my car tho and the culture around it. Go find a hobby.
Jun 4, 2016
211 posts
227 upvotes
sebakaa wrote: im a ricer.

large mud flaps
off center front plate
stickers up my ass

You gotta post a picture
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2012
1181 posts
651 upvotes
Vaughan, ON

large mud flaps
off center front plate
stickers up my ass

I remember watching an interview with Carol Shelby and was pleasantly surprised when he said what he finds encouraging are the “19 year olds modifying and tinkering and learning on their vehicles.” I certainly appreciate car culture, the sporting history, design aspects, etc. but obviously contribute nothing back to the culture or industry with my seasonal tire swaps and regular oil changes. It’s the people actually passionate about the products that drive the market and help it thrive, the reason an entire industry exists which then feeds into the culture and gets kids to enter the profession from the mechanical and engineering and sales aspects. Who cares what my 38 year old self thinks about a rear wing on an Asian import or realistically how functional it is: it’s the pride of that car owner who worked to pay for it. Respect that owner and vehicle more than someone rolling around in a Lamborghini lease for the summer months that money back home paid for.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28361 posts
8807 upvotes
Supercooled wrote: https://images.carscoops.com/2019/03/7e ... cept-2.jpg

It’s got to be the wing.

I’m not saying it looks bad but that it’s the most popular mod people do to rice it up.

I guess that’s why the conservative vw GTI has never really come with a wing from factory and it looks bland as all get out.

Btw these are parts you can eventually order from Hyundai for the new velosters. I’ve seen people put the focus rs wing on their focus st and it looks good as well. This one looks uncannily similar to the civic type Rs.
That's basically what it seems like they are trying to do--make more gaudy beasts on the road, for some unknown reason. Fail.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28361 posts
8807 upvotes

large mud flaps
off center front plate
stickers up my ass

The "culture" of...teenage clowns? Can't tell if post is sarcasm or not.