Investing

What did you buy? What might you buy??

  • Last Updated:
  • May 22nd, 2022 9:12 am
Tags:
None
Newbie
Jul 30, 2016
79 posts
144 upvotes
Thacker Pass approved by the BLM. Anyone still holding LAC has some good news today.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2006
4384 posts
480 upvotes
Sanggyu88 wrote: Thacker Pass approved by the BLM. Anyone still holding LAC has some good news today.
Thanks for sharing this. I believe the link is here LINK if anyone wants to read...

Positions:
- LAC: 300 @ 20.33
- LAC.TO: 150 @ 27

If you're out there watching...thank you Guest5693848 <3
Questrade | Crypto.com | BlockFi | Public Mobile
Sr. Member
Sep 18, 2019
860 posts
752 upvotes
Sanggyu88 wrote: Thacker Pass approved by the BLM. Anyone still holding LAC has some good news today.
The one thing worry me is with LAC share price up more than 100% from the last ATM equity offering, they may use this opportunity to issue another one. Really hope the LAC subject matter expert is here to provide some input.
Member
Jan 27, 2017
230 posts
538 upvotes
PaddyM77101 wrote: I can’t speak for others but for me the appeal is a few fold:

Great yield when it runs
Decent balance sheet all things considered
Beaten down price

CHR has contracts with AC and a different operational system that has allowed them to handle COVID better than many of the other airlines. To me the drop in price is a “baby with the bath water” situation compared to other airlines.
CHR's unfairly grouped into a hard hit airline sector that is burning tons of cash and not profitable...however CHR has been profitable throughout this pandemic and continues to be. Liquidity went up (think they put away ~30M this last q) and revenues are consistent. Should be trading 4-4.50 even without any kind of buyout. Market sentiment dictates quite a bit dependent on how long this 2nd wave rides out.

Potential catalysts:
-Airline specific bailout package (if/when) as opposed to the generic wage subsidy. Additional AC + WestJet layoffs and route cancellations put some pressure on the gov, however given current covid surge, don't think it sits well from an optics standpoint with AC buying Transat.
- Rapid testing in lieu of 14 day quarantine (not to be expected until Covid numbers go way down)
-Buyout news (I personally dont care much for this as if I had to guess their bidder was a lowball OR its still in the works - No insider buys or sells as of recent, which one could view as positive news if your wanting a buyout. I'm sure that would be in the clause).
- Pent up demand for air travel (dependent on what covid looks like by spring/summer). The idea is that Regional travel would be the first to bounce back first.

In a post pandemic climate - Id prefer the dividend not be reinstated and that CHR focus on business development and diversification from the current AC CPA (aircraft leasing side growth). This should propel the SP further past previous highs.

The bearish argument would be that COVID continues into 2021 onwards or worsens and air travel is non existent. Or that AC goes belly up, gets bailed out by the gov, but in the process negates their existing CPA with Chorus/renegotiates at a lesser value.

Just my 2C
Newbie
Jul 30, 2016
79 posts
144 upvotes
Sunway wrote: The one thing worry me is with LAC share price up more than 100% from the last ATM equity offering, they may use this opportunity to issue another one. Really hope the LAC subject matter expert is here to provide some input.
That is definitely a concern. Future offerings could definitely be affected.

Good to see the market reacting positively so far. Up almost 8% after hours so far.
Sr. Member
Sep 18, 2019
860 posts
752 upvotes
Sanggyu88 wrote: That is definitely a concern. Future offerings could definitely be affected.

Good to see the market reacting positively so far. Up almost 8% after hours so far.
I am also wondering what will happen on Monday since it's US holiday but we are not. I am not sure if that will give us a better opportunity to add more.
Newbie
Jul 30, 2016
79 posts
144 upvotes
Up nearly 17% AH.

I think it's going hotter. This will be the second largest lithium mine in the world.

With news that China is now going to restrict rare earth exports, and LAC now moving towards the financing stage, expect big things.

Long on LAC. Adding more.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Feb 27, 2015
6034 posts
3942 upvotes
Toronto, ON
npistone wrote: CHR's unfairly grouped into a hard hit airline sector that is burning tons of cash and not profitable...however CHR has been profitable throughout this pandemic and continues to be. Liquidity went up (think they put away ~30M this last q) and revenues are consistent. Should be trading 4-4.50 even without any kind of buyout. Market sentiment dictates quite a bit dependent on how long this 2nd wave rides out.

Potential catalysts:
-Airline specific bailout package (if/when) as opposed to the generic wage subsidy. Additional AC + WestJet layoffs and route cancellations put some pressure on the gov, however given current covid surge, don't think it sits well from an optics standpoint with AC buying Transat.
- Rapid testing in lieu of 14 day quarantine (not to be expected until Covid numbers go way down)
-Buyout news (I personally dont care much for this as if I had to guess their bidder was a lowball OR its still in the works - No insider buys or sells as of recent, which one could view as positive news if your wanting a buyout. I'm sure that would be in the clause).
- Pent up demand for air travel (dependent on what covid looks like by spring/summer). The idea is that Regional travel would be the first to bounce back first.

In a post pandemic climate - Id prefer the dividend not be reinstated and that CHR focus on business development and diversification from the current AC CPA (aircraft leasing side growth). This should propel the SP further past previous highs.

The bearish argument would be that COVID continues into 2021 onwards or worsens and air travel is non existent. Or that AC goes belly up, gets bailed out by the gov, but in the process negates their existing CPA with Chorus/renegotiates at a lesser value.

Just my 2C
This.

All of this and..

Also would not be surprised to hear Amazon or FedEx sign a contract for planes.

I called this awhile ago, and only recently did WestJet news break that Amazon bought 3 planes off them in March. Since then, online shopping is up like 10 fold.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 21, 2005
5690 posts
1172 upvotes
London, ON
JRGUINNESS wrote: This.

All of this and..

Also would not be surprised to hear Amazon or FedEx sign a contract for planes.

I called this awhile ago, and only recently did WestJet news break that Amazon bought 3 planes off them in March. Since then, online shopping is up like 10 fold.
Chorus mainly leases regional aircraft like the Dash-8, ATR, CRJ and the new A220 aka Cseries

Westjet sold three 767s widebody to amazon. Not sure if Fedex/Amazon would want the smaller planes in CHR’s fleet
:idea: :) :lol: :razz: :D
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Feb 27, 2015
6034 posts
3942 upvotes
Toronto, ON
charliebrown wrote: Chorus mainly leases regional aircraft like the Dash-8, ATR, CRJ and the new A220 aka Cseries

Westjet sold three 767s widebody to amazon. Not sure if Fedex/Amazon would want the smaller planes in CHR’s fleet
Valid point!

Guess they would wait to fill a bigger plane then do more frequent smaller loads
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2018
1017 posts
753 upvotes
Toronto
Hm was looking at buying the prefs for ATP for sometimes due to speculative yield chasing and figured eventually ATP would get taken out.

ATP is getting taken out. Prefs will be bought out at $22 not full premium as one might expect (another Rona? situation?). Still, end of this story it seems.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 09006.html
Last edited by johnnychi on Jan 15th, 2021 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Distracted Investor

Dividends through quality companies 😃 Though I usually lose money with trades :facepalm:
Sr. Member
Jun 2, 2020
998 posts
1064 upvotes
V5y1v1
Sunway wrote: The one thing worry me is with LAC share price up more than 100% from the last ATM equity offering, they may use this opportunity to issue another one. Really hope the LAC subject matter expert is here to provide some input.
You can go on his Twitter - he posted about this already and said he was very bullish
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2011
2424 posts
571 upvotes
Toronto
Bought some atd.b yesterday morning, a good entry point and I will go long with it. Had my eye on it for a while and glad that I waited.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 1, 2013
6179 posts
2832 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
CCHIPSS wrote: I only have like $10k left to invest. CHR or BB haha?
Both, split them 50/50.
¯\_(-.-)_/¯ A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 1, 2013
6179 posts
2832 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
BehzadD24667 wrote: What are your thoughts on Kinaxis Inc. (KXS.TO)? It seems like a solid company with growing earnings but for some reason, it is going down.
So I typed "KXS.TO" into my web browser..... and it took me to a website I wish I hadn't seen. Glad I wasn't using my work computer Face With Tears Of Joy
¯\_(-.-)_/¯ A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 1, 2013
6179 posts
2832 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
EddandEddie wrote: I have bought it at various points over last month average at $3.84 .

The only airline company that has POSITIVE net income even in Pandemic , and higher cash compared to LY .
Damn, $3.84 is steal then for a long term hold.
¯\_(-.-)_/¯ A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 1, 2013
6179 posts
2832 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
BatCountry wrote: The reality is they have been undervalued...took folks 2 days after the patent sale announcement to wake up to it. But there are plenty of analysts who've been suggesting BB is undervalued and a solid buy for 2021.
A good case in point, just look at what BB's nearest competitor on the security front, CRWD (~46 Billion market cap) is trading at. Both are using the same core technology (pure ML/AI for antivirus/security). And that's only one part of BBs business. If BB spun out Cylance, it would probably be worth multiples of what it BB currently is trading at as a whole.
¯\_(-.-)_/¯ A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 25, 2008
1607 posts
939 upvotes
Toronto
johnnychi wrote: Hm was looking at buying the prefs for ATP for sometimes due to speculative yield chasing and figured eventually ATP would get taken out.

ATP is getting taken out. Prefs will be bought out at $22 not full premium as one might expect (another Rona? situation?). Still, end of this story it seems.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 09006.html
They could probably close the deal with the prefs still outstanding, if there is a pref holder no vote. This has happened even with other private equity buyouts, leaving the prefs as the only publicly traded part of the capital structure.
Newbie
May 11, 2019
6 posts
2 upvotes
dealseaker101 wrote: So I typed "KXS.TO" into my web browser..... and it took me to a website I wish I hadn't seen. Glad I wasn't using my work computer Face With Tears Of Joy
LoL Face With Tears Of Joy

Top

Thread Information

There are currently 5 users viewing this thread. (3 members and 2 guests)

seasky, Pearlster, craftsman