• Jan 16th, 2021 6:58 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2014
2288 posts
1718 upvotes
Ontario
devmaster8 wrote: Thoughts on the top 2021 stocks listed here: https://www.fool.com/amp/investing/top-stocks-to-buy/
Pretty good list. Some of those are very overvalued. Conversely I think the cigarette stocks are a value trap.

There’s a lot ARKK names on that list. The only stock I directly own from that list is AMZN.

I think it’s a good “ideas” list but there’s a lot more work required to sort out which of those are worth owning at what price.
Sep 26, 2016
85 posts
59 upvotes
devmaster8 wrote: Thoughts on the top 2021 stocks listed here: https://www.fool.com/amp/investing/top-stocks-to-buy/
Call it boomer cane-shaking, but I could never grasp the appeal of ROKU. Yes, they enable and aggregate video streaming on low-end TVs. But how is their middleman business not ripe for being cut out by content providers on one side and hardware chaebols on the other?
Nov 28, 2016
105 posts
61 upvotes
funkutel wrote: Call it boomer cane-shaking, but I could never grasp the appeal of ROKU. Yes, they enable and aggregate video streaming on low-end TVs. But how is their middleman business not ripe for being cut out by content providers on one side and hardware chaebols on the other?
Ya I don't have Roku so I am not sure about the appeal either. But I think in other parts of the world or perhaps for other types of streaming, it might already have captured the market share or customer loyalty.
Nov 28, 2016
105 posts
61 upvotes
Sanyo wrote: Let’s be real roku boxes are popular for those who buy the pirated Iptv boxes... all of Brampton has one ;)
That's borderline racism or stereotyping. Anyway, not like Rogers/Bell aren't thieves in their own right. Forcing me to get their TV package just to get the fastest internet for my work.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
10051 posts
7976 upvotes
devmaster8 wrote: That's borderline racism or stereotyping. Anyway, not like Rogers/Bell aren't thieves in their own right. Forcing me to get their TV package just to get the fastest internet for my work.
I’ve never heard of them throttling internet because you don’t sub to their tv package but it is possible they do it.
Nov 28, 2016
105 posts
61 upvotes
Sanyo wrote: I’ve never heard of them throttling internet because you don’t sub to their tv package but it is possible they do it.
It was either I take their TV package or pay more for without it (I.e. just internet). It just doesn't make sense.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2007
2394 posts
205 upvotes
I completely missed the Roku train too. I have one, and never use it....

But lately my mind has changed.
- They are gate keepers (HBO, Peacock won't have distribution without Roku, Roku was able to negotiate a favorable deal)
- The Roku channel is now offering exclusive content (Roku just bought the entire Quibi library for <$100M)
- 50 million+ users love Roku
- developers love them
- they are both a platform (very stocky for profitable developers) and a publisher (ie Netflix)
- the cord-cutting trend is very clear
- lots of vertical growth opportunities
- proven execution by a strong team and management

I could go on... While I'm not investing anytime soon, I certainly see the appeal.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2007
1154 posts
429 upvotes
devmaster8 wrote: It was either I take their TV package or pay more for without it (I.e. just internet). It just doesn't make sense.
It does make sense. The more things you buy, the lower the overall price. The same as when you walk in a store and try to negotiate a better price for buying multiple items than just buying one item.
Aug 10, 2010
210 posts
15 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Just to note I'm a biginner when it comes to stocks but I wanted to buy some BB shares pretty soon, however since they are trading on both the TSX and the NYSE I'm not sure what is the difference between buying it at the TSX or NYSE.
Jan 25, 2015
633 posts
318 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Seriously guys, what is a good buy in 2021, everything is so overvalued :(.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 0 guests)

GroverTime, dpwr