Investing

What did you buy? What might you buy??

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 25th, 2021 7:53 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15897 posts
8775 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
cardguy wrote: also the trend has been "greener funds"...some of the public doesn't want any investment in oil and gas in their funds
That's absolutely true. However, if you follow the ESG investment thread on RFD (or most places frankly), the whole ESG investment philosophy is very loosely defined with many ESG funds holding stocks of companies that would not be held in other ESG funds.

It's easy for someone to say that they don't want any oil and gas in their funds when oil and gas account for a small percentage of the market and that those stocks were performing poorly anyway. The story changes as oil and gas start accounting for a larger percentage of the market and when that sector may actually outperform the market. I'll bet many of those investors will be asking the question of why my fund is underperforming the market?

On a side note, according to various pundits, the vast majority of investment dollars in the 'fund' space is in passive index funds that invest in the market weighting of oil and gas. Only a very small percentage of investment dollars are in more actively managed funds with a small percentage of those active funds being ESG so the dollars we are talking about being removed by ESG is relatively small. Is it growing? Yes by the last accounts.
Sr. Member
Feb 15, 2013
814 posts
273 upvotes
Toronto
sleepyguy wrote: Sold ATD.B today for about a 2.5% gain... I was going to hold but decided to move money into hot stocks instead. I have enough boring stocks with Banks... so time to get risky :)
$LAC? Face With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of Joy #jk
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2008
5481 posts
2148 upvotes
Winnipeg
Anyone have thoughts on Wells Fargo?
Sr. Member
Jun 2, 2017
605 posts
274 upvotes
craftsman wrote: That's absolutely true. However, if you follow the ESG investment thread on RFD (or most places frankly), the whole ESG investment philosophy is very loosely defined with many ESG funds holding stocks of companies that would not be held in other ESG funds.

It's easy for someone to say that they don't want any oil and gas in their funds when oil and gas account for a small percentage of the market and that those stocks were performing poorly anyway. The story changes as oil and gas start accounting for a larger percentage of the market and when that sector may actually outperform the market. I'll bet many of those investors will be asking the question of why my fund is underperforming the market?

On a side note, according to various pundits, the vast majority of investment dollars in the 'fund' space is in passive index funds that invest in the market weighting of oil and gas. Only a very small percentage of investment dollars are in more actively managed funds with a small percentage of those active funds being ESG so the dollars we are talking about being removed by ESG is relatively small. Is it growing? Yes by the last accounts.
+1. Also for those that want to play in oil and diversify (vs individual names which may be riskier in pure oil) when it does get to a recovery stick with the etf XEG. Also pays a dividend of around 3%.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 8, 2010
5257 posts
1331 upvotes
Toronto
my 100k + account is all in on Suncor, lets see if I go bankrupt or pop a champagne a year from now! I did get in at 11usd but pulled out to play blackberry, now i'm back in for the long haul.
Sr. Member
Jun 14, 2018
775 posts
818 upvotes
porticoman2 wrote: I follow this & hold a position.

are you considering taking a position?

do you believe TQQQ is a YOLO or a HODL pick?



had to see what the 3x ETF is all about, its like being on a roller coaster & a high speed bullet train all in one.

https://seekingalpha.com/symbol/TQQQ/splits

you know from the first split Feb 2011 its split a total of 96x.

what I know for a fact is that when it first split 2:1 25 Feb 2011 pre split it was trading in the $170/$175 range

https://www.netcials.com/stock-splits-h ... raPro-QQQ/

take it from there ....

whats even more interesting is playing puts on 2 inverse 3x ETF'S SQQQ & UVXY
How big is your holding in TQQQ? I was considering it as a YOLO, but it would be for such a small position that if it did continue blowing up, I'm not sure I'd get that excited anyways.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 11, 2001
9277 posts
1480 upvotes
Haha! I do have LAC... not too much, $2k and now it's about $4k... holding it.

I got more APXT and some GHIV.

Man WSB is just hilarious! Citron has their video and WSB is just all over them... GME is over $40... too funny!
gskn4u wrote: $LAC? Face With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of Joy #jk
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7499 posts
749 upvotes
Toronto
WILD went crazy today, watched it in the morning, missed the peak in the afternoon while I was in a meeting, and eventually cashed out my position @ 2.10 for a ~12% gain from my almost regrettable FOMO position back in June. Was certain that I'd be taking a huge loss, and while I missed the peak and another 10% on my gain, I'll take a tidy 12% gain in 7 months..... :)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
6202 posts
1857 upvotes
Anyone familiar with VIOT (Viomi)? Bought it on a whim, was down but now I'm back up 10%. Wonder if I should get out while I can or if they're gonna keep going.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 15, 2005
1461 posts
872 upvotes
sleepyguy wrote: Sold ATD.B today for about a 2.5% gain... I was going to hold but decided to move money into hot stocks instead. I have enough boring stocks with Banks... so time to get risky :)
That is exactly what I am battling with right now. Have $5k in ATD.B but it isn’t doing a thing, where so many other stocks are booming.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 15, 2005
1461 posts
872 upvotes
freilona wrote: I realized this morning that when things go up, I want to buy them at yesterday’s prices, and when they go down - at tomorrow’s.. :facepalm: Face With Tears Of Joy Also, since it’s a CEF it’s not commission free at Questrade, and I’m too cheap to DCA for $5 for 50 shares.. sigh
You might get your chance to buy QBTC tomorrow for cheap! Bitcoin currently down to $37,700 (lowest since Christmas) as I’m writing this and if that doesn’t change, QBTC should drop hard at opening. However, Bitcoin loves to rebound at night.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1589 posts
788 upvotes
sleepyguy wrote: Haha! I do have LAC... not too much, $2k and now it's about $4k... holding it.

I got more APXT and some GHIV.

Man WSB is just hilarious! Citron has their video and WSB is just all over them... GME is over $40... too funny!
Did WSB pump LAC?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 11, 2001
9277 posts
1480 upvotes
I don't think so... it did take a mighty drop a few days back... something like 16% drop. That said I'm still up like 95% or something insane in like 2 weeks.

Since I don't have too much I'm not too worried of letting it just run it's course. If it gets to $10k or something silly then I'll probably sell it. That would be 5x of my initial investment.
bizzyseller wrote: Did WSB pump LAC?
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15897 posts
8775 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
CEOofPopeyes wrote: +1. Also for those that want to play in oil and diversify (vs individual names which may be riskier in pure oil) when it does get to a recovery stick with the etf XEG. Also pays a dividend of around 3%.
The problem with the ETF is that it's really just 3 stocks - CNQ, SU, and CVE - which make up 60+% of the ETF. All three are large-cap plays which are fine if that's what you are looking for but the level of upside may be more capped than if you moved down to the mid-caps. Also, each of the three I listed pays 5.46%, 3.58%, and 2.93% dividends so you are much better off buying these 3 stocks separately and collect a higher total dividend and you won't have to worry about 0.61% MER.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15897 posts
8775 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
airmail wrote: Anyone have thoughts on Wells Fargo?
WFC has the most potential upside as they have been beaten down a lot but they are a turnaround play so it might take a bit of time for it to regain its former glory. They have a good CEO installed and most of the C-suite has been replaced. I would expect a bumpy ride going forward. And I do own it.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
9630 posts
1676 upvotes
notenoughsleep wrote: But in that case, better to hold actual BTC so at least you have a "collectable" item! Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Maybe you can keep the hard drive for life.
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2008
5481 posts
2148 upvotes
Winnipeg
A lot of buzz about TAK. Anyone purchase?
Member
User avatar
May 15, 2015
218 posts
266 upvotes
Deathstar
selling partial MMED, buying AQN and POAI.

edit: the upvotes have spoken ;)
Last edited by Redmask on Jan 22nd, 2021 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed off-topic/derail content
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 10, 2005
9332 posts
3034 upvotes
airmail wrote: A lot of buzz about TAK. Anyone purchase?
you mean this buzz

9 ARKG 01/21/2021 Buy TAK 874060205 TAKEDA PHARMACEUTICAL CO LTD 446,900 0.0695
10 ARKG 01/21/2021 Buy TAK 874060205 TAKEDA PHARMACEUTICAL CO LTD 468,427 0.0726
Discomfort is your friend

Top

Thread Information

There are currently 21 users viewing this thread. (14 members and 7 guests)

mikolyyyy, smileswithadimple, BigDurian, florenntina, PaddyM77101, airmail, cityhunter, Dave98, dominik, jujojoh, pentexplorer, Blubbs, freilona, Golfclubs67