• Feb 26th, 2021 4:40 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15902 posts
8780 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
johnnyepy666 wrote: I just saw this buffet dude brought IBM and after he bought it , it was down every year. How come nobody talks about this. Also he bought snowflake which is more overvalued than PLTR and noone says anything either. People need to wake up and realize this buffet dude isn't your friend.
Buffet is fine as he is one of the most successful portfolio managers of our lifetime. But that doesn't mean he can't be wrong on any one individual stock or even a handful of stocks. As long as he is right in the long term on the total portfolio, it's all good. But you are right, Buffet isn't your friend but he never said that he was. People take him out of context and running with it.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2008
1448 posts
1248 upvotes
faken wrote: Aren't you glad you bought 1000 instead of 100 now..
Nice. This time I had to jump back four posts to find out the convo was PLTR. At least throw the symbol into each post somewhere!

Over 28 was the breakout I was watching for. I'd rather have bought it at 22 though :)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2007
6530 posts
2897 upvotes
Winnipeg
GME is a clear indication that a shift in investing is happening.
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2007
6530 posts
2897 upvotes
Winnipeg
shadowsteve wrote: Nice. This time I had to jump back four posts to find out the convo was PLTR. At least throw the symbol into each post somewhere!

Over 28 was the breakout I was watching for. I'd rather have bought it at 22 though :)
My bad! 🤭
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land
Penalty Box
Mar 28, 2017
508 posts
339 upvotes
craftsman wrote: Buffet is fine as he is one of the most successful portfolio managers of our lifetime. But that doesn't mean he can't be wrong on any one individual stock or even a handful of stocks. As long as he is right in the long term on the total portfolio, it's all good. But you are right, Buffet isn't your friend but he never said that he was. People take him out of context and running with it.
Yes he's probably the best investor of his time. I am just so sick of people just quoting him for anything and use it as knowledge.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
6205 posts
1858 upvotes
faken wrote: Aren't you glad you bought 1000 instead of 100 now..
Haha was scary for a bit because I don't know when ill need that money. I might be wishing I kept it in. Hindsight of course
Dec 5, 2009
426 posts
432 upvotes
faken wrote: GME is a clear indication that a shift in investing is happening.
Not just GME, WSB. The more reddit/WSB gets talked about, the more eyes are on it and that adds more fuel to the MEME stocks. Sure, one could call it manipulating, but isn't that what hedge funds also do? WSB is returning power to the people.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2007
1064 posts
491 upvotes
Torontario
faken wrote: GME is a clear indication that a shift in investing is happening.
VIX is going down.... so swing or buy-and-hold would be better than day-trading
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2010
5257 posts
1333 upvotes
Toronto
BB $14.70 usd AH wow!

I was expecting $18 eoy, might get that on Monday lol

Should've held my 8000 shares, now bitter sweet with 1000, had to manage and rebalance risk to Suncor though
Sep 26, 2016
125 posts
111 upvotes
Alpine84 wrote: Not just GME, WSB. The more reddit/WSB gets talked about, the more eyes are on it and that adds more fuel to the MEME stocks. Sure, one could call it manipulating, but isn't that what hedge funds also do? WSB is returning power to the people.
Anything useful to do with that power except crowdsourcing short squeezes?
Dec 5, 2009
426 posts
432 upvotes
funkutel wrote: Anything useful to do with that power except crowdsourcing short squeezes?
Crowd sourcing short squeezes? Only if you've been following WSB since GME.
May 5, 2016
492 posts
497 upvotes
Alpine84 wrote: Not just GME, WSB. The more reddit/WSB gets talked about, the more eyes are on it and that adds more fuel to the MEME stocks. Sure, one could call it manipulating, but isn't that what hedge funds also do? WSB is returning power to the people.
What power does it give to people exactly? You only come out ahead if you're not the one holding the bag of shit when the music stops. Its not those "evil" shorts that get hurt, its ordinary people who bought into the hype for various reasons, its not returning anything to the people, its taking from people.

Nor is it great for average people that tons of capital(however short term) gets dumped into unproductive and failing businesses. I can understand people who have a skin in the game but for the average investor or just society wise, its a terrible outcome that a video game retail chain in 2020 that sells and buys PHYSICAL discs now has a $5 billion dollar market cap.

Oh BTW, i also have to disagree that more exposure would actually increase the power of WSB, its actually the opposite. It's only going to attract more institutional players to the game who will wipe the floor with the average joe on WSB
Last edited by azorahai on Jan 22nd, 2021 6:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sep 28, 2006
761 posts
167 upvotes
Toronto
Bought atd-b for 37.70 for the long haul.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2009
2090 posts
1172 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
azorahai wrote: What power does it give to people exactly? You only come out ahead if you're not the one holding the bag of shit when the music stops. Its not those "evil" shorts that get hurt, its ordinary people who bought into the hype for various reasons, its not returning anything to the people, its taking from people.

Nor is it great for average people that tons of capital(however short term) gets dumped into unproductive and failing businesses. I can understand people who have a skin in the game but for the average investor or just society wise, its a terrible outcome that a video game retail chain in 2020 that sells and buys PHYSICAL desks now has a $5 billion dollar market cap.

Oh BTW, i also have to disagree that more exposure would actually increase the power of WSB, its actually the opposite. It's only going to attract more institutional players to the game who will wipe the floor with the average joe on WSB
Nothing wrong with WSB, they are quite self aware for an investment sub. It's like people going to Vegas or playing the lottery, it's for fun.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
23924 posts
5572 upvotes
where I belong
what a crazy day, won some, missed some (like $GME $50 buy orders missed, DUH)
Don't really make sense either with markets down :P this market is insanity, making daily moves BIGGER than ER moves

+20% clubs - JMIA, PLTR, MGI (b4 it dropped back)
Feels like +10% are nothing nowadays - DDD, RIOT/MARA

Megacaps - why do we even bother? LOL

missed some - GME, BB (why the pop?), CCIV

At least the week is over, whew~
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K
Jun 2, 2017
606 posts
276 upvotes
This week has been nuts.

Still Hold:
APPS
BNGO
NNDM

Traded Netflix and PLUG for quick profit.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2001
9283 posts
1487 upvotes
You forgot... "To the moon" sector aka Faken and Actuary20 picks, haha!
EuRaFree wrote: Here is the breakdown of all my sectors.
Canadian stocks are 34.4265% of it (getting smaller though). Mostly Banks(HCAL), some REITs, Energy, Cons Def.
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
Dec 2, 2017
523 posts
532 upvotes
sleepyguy wrote: You forgot... "To the moon" sector aka Faken and Actuary20 picks, haha!
It would have the same weighting as my basic mat one, so decided not to include it
At least my basic materials one occasionally raising for a few % that's why it's there lol
Last edited by EuRaFree on Jan 23rd, 2021 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thread Information

There are currently 9 users viewing this thread. (4 members and 5 guests)

skyrink, DC2020, shoppingkart, yycguy1