• Last Updated:
  • Mar 3rd, 2021 12:22 am
Tags:
None
Jun 2, 2020
409 posts
361 upvotes
V5y1v1
applexs wrote: How much amount of stock for one trade is ideal.?
I usually won't go smaller than allow the trading costs to be larger than 1% of the total value of the trade. So if you are using questrade and commissions cost $5, the absolute minimum I'll go is $500/trade. Ideally entering and exiting position I'll scale in in quarters, buying a quarter of the amount I'd ultimately like at a time to try to average down. With ETFs I'll buy in smaller amounts more frequently since trading costs are free. Just a personal preference though of course.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2008
1462 posts
1253 upvotes
admiralackbar wrote: Depends on size of portfolio, appetite for risk, sanity, etc.

My position size is 5% of my portfolio and I rebalance every quarter. I let some winners run but usually trim around 7.5-10% and reinvest in laggards
So that means 20 positions max across all accounts?
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2011
1524 posts
977 upvotes
Montreal
shadowsteve wrote: So that means 20 positions max across all accounts?
sorry should have put per account (I have TFSA, RRSP and 2 unregistered accounts). Will fix my post
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
3538 posts
188 upvotes
Toronto
vivibaby wrote: What is the next WSB stock? So we can get in and out while they pump. :twisted:
seems like they are talking about NOK aside from BB, GME
Nov 17, 2016
164 posts
112 upvotes
I'm looking into two speculative positions that are both ramping up production this quarter but have very low revenue this far.

Nevada Copper (NCU) - my friend recommended.

And Cielo Waste (CMC) - saw a good post on reddit on Friday.

I'm pretty sold on the copper mine but did no research yet on Cielo. Anyone is holding either of these?
Dec 16, 2018
70 posts
43 upvotes
faken wrote: Here's a question I have for you. Why do you want to invest in specific companies other than ETF's? You have a decently long time horizon. You currently really like Tech. Why not just invest in tech stocks individually and then invest in 2 ETF's to balance it out? You'll be way more covered and it will be must more cost effective in the long run.
MER and avoidance of over valued companies (in ETF) are the reason going with individual companies.
Dec 2, 2017
527 posts
541 upvotes
applexs wrote: MER and avoidance of over valued companies (in ETF) are the reason going with individual companies.
I agree. Naturally, if you know what you are doing, you would never blindly invest into an ETF.
I'm a bit biased here but, based on your stock picks, I'm sure you should be fine (depends on when you purchased them though).

ETF diversification is overrated and should be pursued only by those who don't want to do the homework that involves picking individual names.
Over concentration in 2-3 sector is dangerous and not advisable for a new investor.
So if I were you, I'd pick 1-2 names in 5-7 sectors at least.
Your main problem at this stage is paying commission on so small initial investment amount. For 9.99 I'd stick with at least 2-3k, $5 - 1-2k

Normally, mostly at the later stages, when your portfolio is larger than a few k, MER and Commissions are irrelevant and could be an important factor just for bean counters or die-hard CCP fans (nothing against those, even strongly encourage most people to follow CCP). So don't focus too much on those.

Currently reading "The new value investing" by Thomas Howard.
Here is a small sneak peek from this book on diversification.

Dec 16, 2018
70 posts
43 upvotes
EuRaFree wrote: I agree. Naturally, if you know what you are doing, you would never blindly invest into an ETF.
I'm a bit biased here but, based on your stock picks, I'm sure you should be fine (depends on when you purchased them though).

ETF diversification is overrated and should be pursued only by those who don't want to do the homework that involves picking individual names.
Over concentration in 2-3 sector is dangerous and not advisable for a new investor.
So if I were you, I'd pick 1-2 names in 5-7 sectors at least.
Your main problem at this stage is paying commission on so small initial investment amount. For 9.99 I'd stick with at least 2-3k, $5 - 1-2k

Normally, mostly at the later stages, when your portfolio is larger than a few k, MER and Commissions are irrelevant and could be an important factor just for bean counters or die-hard CCP fans (nothing against those, even strongly encourage most people to follow CCP). So don't focus too much on those.

Currently reading "The new value investing" by Thomas Howard.
Here is a small sneak peek from this book on diversification.

Understood and Thanks @EuRaFree.

Will raise the bar for min transaction value and will learn more about the ETFs mentioned earlier like VFV, SPY, DIA, QQQ, IWM (QT is free, but don't know the transaction costs with TD and RBC).
Aug 29, 2008
77 posts
15 upvotes
Can somebody help with formula for YIELD in googlesheets. Thanks
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15962 posts
8822 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
applexs wrote: How much amount of stock for one trade is ideal.?
I'm cheap. I like to keep the amount of stock traded on one deal fairly high (ie for me, that in the 5 digits). In addition to saving on commission charges, due to the dollar value of the trade, it forces me to think and research on whether I really want to put 5 figures into a company right then, keep an eye on it, or move on. Sure, thinking and research take time and sometimes I do miss the run up in particular stock as I might overthink the situation (that's one of my character traits according to various studies that I've done) but often it allows me to rationalize what I'm doing and proceed from there. The larger trades help me on the selling side as well as flushing larger amounts through my account makes me think if I want to sell it then or wait - the thought process is different when you make a $500 per trade or $5,000/$10,000 per trade. I'm also lazy. The larger the trade size in my portfolio means the fewer stocks I need to keep track of.

In your case, I would do something similar - try to keep your commissions down as every dollar you pay out means one less dollar you can put to work for your future - and slowly build up a well diversified portfolio rather than trying to get there quickly with a few positions here and a few positions there.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2007
6572 posts
2967 upvotes
Winnipeg
Lol my prediction of $100 for GME is going to be Right
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land
Jun 2, 2017
607 posts
277 upvotes
faken wrote: Lol my prediction of $100 for GME is going to be Right
That's awesome. There will be alot of bag holders on this one.

BB is also taking off pre-market.
Aug 12, 2017
670 posts
193 upvotes
Mississauga
faken wrote: Lol my prediction of $100 for GME is going to be Right
BB is up over 30% before market opens. I am glad I bought some last Friday but this is crazy.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2008
1462 posts
1253 upvotes
I want my GME Jan29 calls back please. I'll need assistance, I've lost the keys to my time machine LOL
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2008
3017 posts
916 upvotes
GTA
discostar wrote: BB is up over 30% before market opens. I am glad I bought some last Friday but this is crazy.
AMC as well as Bed Bath and Beyond up insane amounts in premarket as well. This seems to be from Reddit, all of a sudden they can move the markets.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2010
5261 posts
1337 upvotes
Toronto
After doing all that research. Can't believe I trimmed BB, holding only 1000 shares seems so barren.

Missed out on a 100k, had sent this price target to friends too, but wanted to get a win and lock in profits. Tsk tsk.
Aug 12, 2017
670 posts
193 upvotes
Mississauga
Gotoff wrote: After doing all that research. Can't believe I trimmed BB, holding only 1000 shares seems so barren.

Missed out on a 100k, had sent this price target to friends too, but wanted to get a win and lock in profits. Tsk tsk.
Are you keeping BB or will you be dumping it today.

Thread Information

There are currently 5 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 3 guests)

ugly, shakaboey