What did you buy? What might you buy??

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 25th, 2020 12:17 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 30, 2020
108 posts
115 upvotes
Chance7652 wrote: Did you own it before this buy?

I don't think you are allowed to own a OTC stock in an RRSP/TFSA but I think its alright in this case at it trades on the Hong Kong stock exchange.
Yes I did own some and I added to my position. It's a great company.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
14784 posts
7721 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
llpresident wrote: Eric Nuttall on BNN's Market Call today with some pro investing tips, recommending some more oil and gas names, none of which he owns personally or in his family. Eric's past picks include such winners as Parex Resources (-31%), Whitecap Resources (-33%) and TORC Oil & Gas (-58%).

I would have posted this in what not to buy, but do not see such a thread.
The whole oil/gas complex is down (XEG is down 60% YTD) so it's nearly impossible for an oil/gas analysts to pick true winners! The best one could hope for is to be better than the average.
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
13562 posts
3657 upvotes
GTA
craftsman wrote: The whole oil/gas complex is down (XEG is down 60% YTD) so it's nearly impossible for an oil/gas analysts to pick true winners! The best one could hope for is to be better than the average.
If you look at his track record of picks he does seem to be down all the time though...regardless of oil prices.

Though I do hold Parex and think it's a good buy
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
14784 posts
7721 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
RolandCouch wrote: If you look at his track record of picks he does seem to be down all the time though...regardless of oil prices.

XEG has been trending down since 2008 from its highs of $29 so there a good chance that any oil/gas picks in the past 10 years would have been down from the point he recommended them.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2014
2020 posts
1273 upvotes
Ontario
RolandCouch wrote: If you look at his track record of picks he does seem to be down all the time though...regardless of oil prices.

I think the most telling is how he does not invest his own money the way he recommends on BNN or to his clients. That's one of the first things I look for now. Even on Seeking Alpha is not uncommon to see someone say that X stock is such a steal, but then they don't own it themselves. Speaks volumes. @craftsman
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
13562 posts
3657 upvotes
GTA
llpresident wrote: I think the most telling is how he does not invest his own money the way he recommends on BNN or to his clients. That's one of the first things I look for now. Even on Seeking Alpha is not uncommon to see someone say that X stock is such a steal, but then they don't own it themselves. Speaks volumes. @craftsman
Agree 100%
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
14784 posts
7721 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
llpresident wrote: I think the most telling is how he does not invest his own money the way he recommends on BNN or to his clients. That's one of the first things I look for now. Even on Seeking Alpha is not uncommon to see someone say that X stock is such a steal, but then they don't own it themselves. Speaks volumes. @craftsman
That might be a product of his contract with Nine Point. It's not uncommon for portfolio managers to be under strict policies of what they can and cannot invest in - ie they can't invest in individual companies but only funds sold by their firm. Also, his fund may have guidelines that they need to be X percentage invested all of the time so even if he wanted to go all to cash, he might not be allowed to.
Sep 8, 2013
75 posts
33 upvotes
Windsor
Anyone in CargoJet CJT?

Im up 50% and keep waiting for a nice pullback to add more.
Sep 27, 2020
116 posts
75 upvotes
Kayvan83 wrote: In my opinion LAC is highly over valued right now,high level of non-cash earning. i will only buy sub $13.... lithium market is slightly oversupplied.
take my 2 cents and invest on Nickle mining directly. Oversupplied lithium unlikely to happen to nickel, guys like elon musk will invest on nickle mining directly to control the lithium, he was actually looking for a mine few month ago
https://cleantechnica.com/2020/08/17/ca ... no-cobalt/
"At a conference hosted by the China Association of Automobile Manufacturers in Shanghai last week, Meng Xiangfeng, a senior executive at Contemporary Amperex Technology, said his company is working a new type of battery, one that would operate with no nickel or cobalt"

We're all entitled to our opinion but I would suggest you do some research into lithium before going too heavy into nickel investments.

We're headed towards a global lithium shortage.
Sep 27, 2020
116 posts
75 upvotes
LAC.TO primed for another run!

Low volume pullback with a wedge pattern sitting on the 20 day moving average.
Images
  • LAC.jpg
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2008
2605 posts
633 upvotes
GTA
nathand wrote: Anyone in CargoJet CJT?

Im up 50% and keep waiting for a nice pullback to add more.
It’s on my watchlist but I haven’t gotten in yet maybe with more funding later or if I cash out a position.

It has been going up every year, Amazon likes it and it should continue to grow going forward.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2001
8805 posts
972 upvotes
Yeah it's been absolutely brutal for EricN and his recommendations. I would be a rich man if I shorted all his recomendations over the past 3-4 yrs. Obviously he knows his sector very well... I wonder if he transition his expertise to say the tech or maybe other consumable sector he would be killing it. I'm sure he get's paid very well regardless of how his fund does or not.
craftsman wrote: That might be a product of his contract with Nine Point. It's not uncommon for portfolio managers to be under strict policies of what they can and cannot invest in - ie they can't invest in individual companies but only funds sold by their firm. Also, his fund may have guidelines that they need to be X percentage invested all of the time so even if he wanted to go all to cash, he might not be allowed to.
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
14784 posts
7721 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
sleepyguy wrote: Yeah it's been absolutely brutal for EricN and his recommendations. I would be a rich man if I shorted all his recomendations over the past 3-4 yrs. Obviously he knows his sector very well... I wonder if he transition his expertise to say the tech or maybe other consumable sector he would be killing it. I'm sure he get's paid very well regardless of how his fund does or not.
You don't have to short his recommendations... just short the XEG. Many of his picks actually do better than the sector on average so shorting his picks would have made you underperform the sector.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
3939 posts
3625 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
So maybe I've lost my mind, but I'm going to buy some $BTC Astonished Face
Keep calm and go long

Thread Information

There are currently 15 users viewing this thread. (10 members and 5 guests)

llpresident, coles37, reps001, mb7057, npistone, drwxr010, PaddyM77101, shoppingkart, mirooshidan, tigerdemi