• Last Updated:
  • May 18th, 2022 3:00 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Aug 17, 2008
7374 posts
7564 upvotes
MrMom wrote: Recent high on MFC is $C27.72. Seller below there. Order submitted at the BOM, expires at the EOM.

From the Home Equity Leverage thread;
home-equity-leveraged-dividend-growth-i ... #p35206461

Update

Reinsuring the VA for MFC releases LICAT, but mgmt said that IFRS 17 will weigh on EPS & BVPS.
Because there's no bid.

Manulife 'constantly looking' for buyers for Canadian variable annuity business
https://www.reuters.com/article/manulif ... KKBN2I22ES

“The true value of our company isn’t being appreciated, and to some extent, that is a function of the fact that we do have some legacy businesses that, at the very least, create uncertainty and concern,” CEO Roy Gori said at a TD Securities Event.

Manulife has said it aims to reduce the contribution of its less profitable and slower-growing legacy long-term care (LTC) and VA businesses to less than 10% of core earnings by 2025, from 25% in 2020. It did not disclose what that proportion will be following the U.S. deal, but said the transaction will reduce core earnings by C$200 million in 2022.

“We believe completing a sale of the U.S. LTC business will pose more difficulty, as the market is currently in low demand for these types of transactions,” Canaccord Genuity analyst Scott Chan said in a note following the announcement.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 17, 2008
7374 posts
7564 upvotes
hebsie wrote: Finally we hit seller exhaustion on NFI !! ... Let's hope, anyways

I wasn't looking to be in the bus building business more than a few hours today
LOL
hebsie wrote: Added another 1k shares of NFI here, avg in the low 23.xx's

Looks like the panic is over from the BD

Lot's of big contracts getting signed, once this supply chain issue is behind us we be golden

Long-hold in a reg'd acct
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2011
4709 posts
2897 upvotes
Ontario
MrMom wrote: LOL
I know, right! Sometimes the wind changes direction fast here, lol

I'll still flip for a profit when the chart tells me so, but I can also be comfy holding right where it is for a while too
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
25223 posts
6905 upvotes
where I belong
TSX Tech (or I'd like to call pump and dump? LOL)
Real Matters dropped another -13% today to new 52w low
YEAR RANGE
The difference between the high and low prices over the past 52 weeks
$8.05 - $26.45

MAGT daily red since the ER (reached $42?), $33 today
How did it reach $65 ever

SHOP is really the one still standing strong
LSPD, NVEI, DCBO all came in
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Platinum/Biz Plat 100K || Aeroplan Reserve 150K
Mar 12, 2017
579 posts
430 upvotes
jerryhung wrote: TSX Tech (or I'd like to call pump and dump? LOL)
Real Matters dropped another -13% today to new 52w low
YEAR RANGE
The difference between the high and low prices over the past 52 weeks
$8.05 - $26.45

MAGT daily red since the ER (reached $42?), $33 today
How did it reach $65 ever

SHOP is really the one still standing strong
LSPD, NVEI, DCBO all came in
Not sure it's a laughing matter. I started in August and got caught in the tech pump on all those stocks, but real matters. I can tell you the "lol" isn't pleasant. Worst month in a while to start investing in tech. If I started in April, ot would have been easier to stand back and understand what was going on.

The ER of MAGT was actually good. No reason to keep falling like that.
Oct 5, 2009
264 posts
122 upvotes
leolozon wrote: Not sure it's a laughing matter. I started in August and got caught in the tech pump on all those stocks, but real matters. I can tell you the "lol" isn't pleasant. Worst month in a while to start investing in tech. If I started in April, ot would have been easier to stand back and understand what was going on.

So, now what is your strategy?
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
25223 posts
6905 upvotes
where I belong
leolozon wrote: Not sure it's a laughing matter. I started in August and got caught in the tech pump on all those stocks, but real matters. I can tell you the "lol" isn't pleasant. Worst month in a while to start investing in tech. If I started in April, ot would have been easier to stand back and understand what was going on.

I feel you 100%
I own LSPD (ouch) and MAGT (double ouch). Thankfully got out of FD/Real Matters before they got worse
only win is SHOP

Meanwhile, Crypto miners (say HUT or GLXY) or Energy names are rising vs. Tech tanking, it's hard to swallow
Always makes me wonder why bother investing in TSX Tech for the drama ... when I can just buy QQQ or TQQQ or SOXL, way more upside

"glut for punishment" describes us :P
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Platinum/Biz Plat 100K || Aeroplan Reserve 150K
Mar 12, 2017
579 posts
430 upvotes
automation wrote: So, now what is your strategy?
To tell you the truth, maybe there's another timeline where I start investing sooner, catch confidence and sell at the pump while having the same lessons. But this week, I realized that it burned me without me noticing it. So I'm slowly going to ETFs and passive investing. When you get hit in the face in your first month, it's hard to get back on track and feel confident about what you are doing. Without confidence, it's dangerous to invest.
Mar 12, 2017
579 posts
430 upvotes
jerryhung wrote: I feel you 100%
I own LSPD (ouch) and MAGT (double ouch). Thankfully got out of FD/Real Matters before they got worse
only win is SHOP

Meanwhile, Crypto miners (say HUT or GLXY) or Energy names are rising vs. Tech tanking, it's hard to swallow
Always makes me wonder why bother investing in TSX Tech for the drama ... when I can just buy QQQ or TQQQ or SOXL, way more upside

"glut for punishment" describes us :P
I was 50% in TEC.to and XEQT, the biggest mistake that I have made is to no stick to the plan and keep it there. :)

I'm thinking too much short term for my own good. So better to keep it as simple as possible so I don't want to go to my computer too often in a day to see what's going on with my stocks. I didn't like missing an opportunity because I wasn't in front of my computer. Not sure that's good.

Still have some stocks, but I think I'm phasing out slowly.

Concerning MAGT... I managed to get out at 42... But guess what? I went back in at 36... That's a good company, I thought. Good management. It has to turn around. It probably will, but it wasn't worth it. :D The cord was cut!
Aug 30, 2015
16 posts
5 upvotes
Steinbach, MB
I also took the plunge today and bought Visa. The discount on this one was way too good to pass up.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2012
1439 posts
1893 upvotes
PaddyM77101 wrote: Looking at HOU tomorrow
Looks like WTI technicals look to test near-term support of $74-75... might be early on your call but good luck...
Mar 23, 2015
399 posts
144 upvotes
Westmount, QC
BABA expecting big drop today I guess not done with bagholders days for this stock
May 15, 2015
419 posts
524 upvotes
leolozon wrote: I was 50% in TEC.to and XEQT, the biggest mistake that I have made is to no stick to the plan and keep it there. :)

I'm thinking too much short term for my own good. So better to keep it as simple as possible so I don't want to go to my computer too often in a day to see what's going on with my stocks. I didn't like missing an opportunity because I wasn't in front of my computer. Not sure that's good.

Still have some stocks, but I think I'm phasing out slowly.

Concerning MAGT... I managed to get out at 42... But guess what? I went back in at 36... That's a good company, I thought. Good management. It has to turn around. It probably will, but it wasn't worth it. :D The cord was cut!
It's not a mistake if you learned something from it, and, there is a certain amount of tuition that must be paid in order to get better at playing this game, so don't beat yourself up.

The worst is compounding one poor decision with another, which it sounds like you are not doing.

What's worked best for me so far is doing my research and planning outside of trading hours, then executing the plan when the market is open. The biggest challenge is just sticking to the plan! Sounds like we share the same issue.
Dec 26, 2012
105 posts
56 upvotes
Vancouver
CNR/CP getting kicked down lately I imagine due to the floods washing out BC.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
4756 posts
1309 upvotes
does it matter?
Not much in stocks yet even though I have lots in company stocks. But planing to but Air Canada and keep it for long. just taking chance or say gamble.
Tried new coffee and doughnut. Found same old stale thing. expected bill of six bucks but it was 600 million. Big mistake so the guy said don't worry it is on the house. going back to McD.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2008
1126 posts
160 upvotes
Toronto
retireearly wrote: I also took the plunge today and bought Visa. The discount on this one was way too good to pass up.
at what price you bought V ? i might buy some V today

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

mathbes