• Jul 7th, 2022 9:59 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
15904 posts
6416 upvotes
Toronto
zakarydoks wrote: I'm just glad I don't hold any Canadian O&G outside of my index ETFs because they performed so, so, so poorly. I think they call it picking up pennies in front of the steamroller. I'm not a trader, just a buy and hold investor and I'm glad I don't own Canadian O&G.
Long term I would agree they have performed poorly. But in the past 12 months they have greatly outperformed the broader market. XEG is up 90% year to date, almost doubled.
https://www.blackrock.com/ca/investors/ ... -index-etf
Canadian Energy has gone a long way towards helping the TSX increase in 2021.

They are a cyclical investment and timing is key.
Last edited by Kurtz7834 on Nov 26th, 2021 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2015
2751 posts
1388 upvotes
Mississauga
Blubbs wrote: The growth rate is what matters most. They found it early which is good for us. If it's not too late.

IMHO, it's a number of deaths "what matters most"... if today we have 1 case and tomorrow 3, the growth rate is 300% :)
"All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others" George Orwell
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
15904 posts
6416 upvotes
Toronto
gibor365365 wrote: IMHO, it's a number of deaths "what matters most"... if today we have 1 case and tomorrow 3, the growth rate is 300% :)
This is actually a good point, percentage increases are misleading and often meaningless when you are dealing with small numbers to begin with. The media ignores this fact far too often.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2015
2751 posts
1388 upvotes
Mississauga
Kurtz7834 wrote: This is actually a good point, percentage increases are misleading and often meaningless when you are dealing with small numbers to begin with. The media ignores this fact far too often.
Generally speaking , the media just increasing damage during whole pandemic
"All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others" George Orwell
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
15904 posts
6416 upvotes
Toronto
Marzipan wrote: Cancelled all four buy orders and placed a sell on an equities ETF.

Expecting lots of people will be heading for the exits on Black Monday thus triggering stops and circuit breakers on Tuesday. Will wait until I perceive a cycle bottom before getting in to value stocks. None-the-less will just ride the market with my portfolio.
Could be. Could also play out the other way and rally on Monday. Flip a coin.

Everything I buy these days is a 'value stock.' Value stocks have outperformed in 2021. Tech is what is risky in my opinion, with valuations at 20 year highs and higher interest rates looming.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
15904 posts
6416 upvotes
Toronto
JustMike wrote: Experts say it'll take 2 weeks before they know the affect on the existing vaccines. Sadly this will likely also affect the market for the immediate future
A bit of a correction would be healthy anyways in many sectors. IMHO commodities and financials are unlikely to be significantly affected, regardless of what happens with the COVID variant.

ZEB (Big 5 Banks ETF) is down 2%, for really no reason of substance, just dragged down with the rest of the market.

AC has gotten beaten up today, but that is riskier as that is consumer discretionary. I stayed away as it's too much risk and unpredictable. That will bleed badly if this new variant proves to be a serious concern.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
15904 posts
6416 upvotes
Toronto
badmus wrote: Reopen names like Air Canada and Cineplex are getting crushed on the American side, Zoom is up 10%.

A crushed oil name like VET (down 9% in pre market) and Cineplex are my top 2 targets today if people get really scared.
I'd go with VET and other Energy vs CGX, much better fundamentals and financial position AND lower risk from the COVID variant. There is real risk to AC, in the short term, as well if this COVID variant turns out to be a serious thing. Although our government has proven it is willing to prop up Air Canada.

Onex is a better airline play in my opinion (they own Westjet) and they have a good private equity portfolio.

I bought a bunch of XEG, the energy ETF. Was down 6-6.5% and I see no basis for that.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2017
2474 posts
3408 upvotes
I came pretty close to buying ctc.a but I didn't put the order through. It looks like pretty good value right now and in a worse case scenario they did well during the lockdowns.

It would have been an impulsive buy and I'll give some though if I want to increase my margin this weekend. I think it will work out I'm just not sure its worth the stress.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
15904 posts
6416 upvotes
Toronto
Chance7652 wrote: I came pretty close to buying ctc.a but I didn't put the order through. It looks like pretty good value right now and in a worse case scenario they did well during the lockdowns.

It would have been an impulsive buy and I'll give some though if I want to increase my margin this weekend. I think it will work out I'm just not sure its worth the stress.
It's a solid company and it will make $ regardless of what happens with COVID. Not a big discount to buy today though.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
15904 posts
6416 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks to all who posted their opinions. Exciting day, folks! Hope your bets turn out well! Have a good weekend.
Mar 12, 2017
604 posts
463 upvotes
Bad time to have an appointment at 9h30. By the time I came back, everything I wanted went back up and weren't as interesting. I dislike when I miss an opportunity. :)

Bought a bit of MFC, ATD and BNS.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2017
2474 posts
3408 upvotes
Kurtz7834 wrote: It's a solid company and it will make $ regardless of what happens with COVID. Not a big discount to buy today though.
CTC.A is already down a bit after the last quarters earnings. With estimates of 16.89 and a 170 share price its trading at around a 10 PE which looks mispriced for a company growing their EPS over 10% a year for the last 10 years. The current multiple is also lower than the historical PE which is around 13-14. I'm a bit biased as this is something I own and like the stock but I also see them as a stronger company than in the past and think they should be trade at a higher multiple. A PE around 15-16 which is still below WMT, TGT and HD all which are trading over 20 PEs seems reasonable.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2015
1424 posts
616 upvotes
gibor365365 wrote: Generally speaking , the media just increasing damage during whole pandemic
media loves headline, scared story shows up, it gets most viewers, that is most important for media, Truth or Lie does not matter,

Sitting out all day, wait for weekend
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
15904 posts
6416 upvotes
Toronto
Chance7652 wrote: I came pretty close to buying ctc.a but I didn't put the order through. It looks like pretty good value right now and in a worse case scenario they did well during the lockdowns.

What's the difference between CTC.A and CTC? Voting rights?
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2017
2474 posts
3408 upvotes
Kurtz7834 wrote: What's the difference between CTC.A and CTC? Voting rights?
Ya CTC are voting shares. Its not very liquid and only had 1.3k shares today.

I own CTC.A and the reit CRT.un
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2008
6223 posts
2653 upvotes
Toronto
gibor365365 wrote: IMHO, it's a number of deaths "what matters most"... if today we have 1 case and tomorrow 3, the growth rate is 300% :)
R0 is probably a better measurement as it shows you how fast the cases are doubling.
TFSA: XAW | RRSP: AOR | Non-reg: XUU + GICs
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
4723 posts
3744 upvotes

I dunno. I own shares in CTC.a for the long term and I'm not stressed at all. Then again, in the last forty years, I've never used leverage for any of our investments. We've steered our portfolios through all kinds of financial storms just fine without it.

With a recent dividend increase of just over 10% and looking reasonably priced, if not down right cheap, what is there not to like about CTC.a.

2021-canadian-dividend-increase-2435545/14/#p35232371

Then again, I'm not a financial analyst, so don't take my word for it.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2015
2751 posts
1388 upvotes
Mississauga
reps001 wrote: media loves headline, scared story shows up, it gets most viewers, that is most important for media, Truth or Lie does not matter,

Sitting out all day, wait for weekend
Obviously! More scary titles, more people read ... more profits from ads

Thread Information

There are currently 17 users viewing this thread. (7 members and 10 guests)

Gungnir, AndyB35, DrunkMunky168, EhJay42, nowhere2010, Spirit2, watrdogg