• Jul 5th, 2022 5:44 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2015
2751 posts
1388 upvotes
Mississauga
ksgill wrote: R0 is probably a better measurement as it shows you how fast the cases are doubling.
Not sure about it! R0 shows cases in general including mild and asymptomatic. There is no hysteria when regular flu spreads and doubling
"All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others" George Orwell
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2017
2474 posts
3407 upvotes
Stryker wrote: I dunno. I own shares in CTC.a for the long term and I'm not stressed at all. Then again, in the last forty years, I've never used leverage for any of our investments. We've steered our portfolios through all kinds of financial storms just fine without it.

With a recent dividend increase of just over 10% and looking reasonably priced, if not down right cheap, what is there not to like about CTC.a.

2021-canadian-dividend-increase-2435545/14/#p35232371

Then again, I'm not a financial analyst, so don't take my word for it.
The stress would be due to the margin as I like to have a plan on how to pay it back. I currently have the cash to cover my margin but I need to replace a car next year which is going to be a big expense. This is just my own situation and I'm just questioning adding stress for something that's not going to have almost any affect on my returns as the amount is too small.

I've owned CTC.A for 2 years and its not a stock I need to think about a lot.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2008
6223 posts
2653 upvotes
Toronto
gibor365365 wrote: Not sure about it! R0 shows cases in general including mild and asymptomatic. There is no hysteria when regular flu spreads and doubling
More cases generally means more people in the hospital as percentage of the total population. Flu has been around for centuries and is 10x less fatal that COVID. How is it that 20 months into the pandemic we are still making this comparison? No hysteria, just facts.
TFSA: XAW | RRSP: AOR | Non-reg: XUU + GICs
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
4723 posts
3744 upvotes
Chance7652 wrote: The stress would be due to the margin as I like to have a plan on how to pay it back. I currently have the cash to cover my margin but I need to replace a car next year which is going to be a big expense. This is just my own situation and I'm just questioning adding stress for something that's not going to have almost any affect on my returns as the amount is too small.

I've owned CTC.A for 2 years and its not a stock I need to think about a lot.
Then by all means when you're ready, buy the car. We paid all cash for our brand new econo-box back in 2012 and it still runs just fine. I may occasionally shop at Canadian Tire, but I don't get our car fixed there though. As for CTC.a it got though the Great Depression, so that's impressive for any company of that era.

Edit: After looking it up, Canadian Tire was incorporated in 1927 and the shares went public in 1944.
Last edited by Stryker on Nov 26th, 2021 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2017
2474 posts
3407 upvotes
Stryker wrote: Then by all means when you're ready, buy the car. We paid all cash for our brand new econo-box back in 2012 and it still runs just fine. I may occasionally shop at Canadian Tire, but I don't get our car fixed there though. As for CTC.a it got though the Great Depression, so that's impressive for any company of that era.
I think the car still has a lot of life as its a Toyota but its 12 years old with nearly 300k on it and I think my wife has already been really patient. I think its time :).
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2016
1632 posts
1520 upvotes
Blubbs wrote: Guy, they have sequenced it and have early population data. WHO declared an hour ago that it carries a higher risk of reinfection than other variants. 72% of South Africa has already contracted COVID, yet cases increased 252% week over week.

The goal is to make COVID into like our Flu. Sure, flu keep on changing and varying, but you don't see people going doom and gloom. We all know COVID is here to stay, same as our flu. Won't end the world. In the future, you will just get a flu shot which would include COVID resistance inside.
Best shopping deals I got from here:
Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom $300, ZTE Blade V8 Pro $175, Fluld 55' 4k TV $360
Sep 28, 2011
736 posts
1291 upvotes
Winnipeg
@Kurtz7834 Honest question. What was your cause du jour that brought you here today to this sub to go off so hard on the COVID variant and subsequent energy sell off? Having a bad day?

I ask because your name wasn't one that jumped to mind as one of the usual posters. So I checked your posting history and noted that today in approximately 3 hours you posted 28 times. Prior to that you had only posted 9 times dating back to your first post in investing about 15 months ago.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
6575 posts
3973 upvotes
CCHIPSS wrote: The goal is to make COVID into like our Flu. Sure, flu keep on changing and varying, but you don't see people going doom and gloom. We all know COVID is here to stay, same as our flu. Won't end the world. In the future, you will just get a flu shot which would include COVID resistance inside.
Let's hope the new variant easier to transmit but also becomes less deadly than before
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
15904 posts
6416 upvotes
Toronto
bigblue1ca wrote: @Kurtz7834 Honest question. What was your cause du jour that brought you here today to this sub to go off so hard on the COVID variant and subsequent energy sell off? Having a bad day?

I ask because your name wasn't one that jumped to mind as one of the usual posters. So I checked your posting history and noted that today in approximately 3 hours you posted 28 times. Prior to that you had only posted 9 times dating back to your first post in investing about 15 months ago.
It's been a very good day, I saw the energy sell off as a great opportunity and took full advantage of it. Usually I am on Yahoo Finance but I wanted to get the opinions of others here, as well as share my advice. Hope I didn't annoy most of you too much. I'm not shy sharing my opinions.
Last edited by Kurtz7834 on Nov 26th, 2021 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19808 posts
12904 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
zakarydoks wrote: I'm just glad I don't hold any Canadian O&G outside of my index ETFs because they performed so, so, so poorly. I think they call it picking up pennies in front of the steamroller. I'm not a trader, just a buy and hold investor and I'm glad I don't own Canadian O&G.
But you are a trader if you are making a short-term call on what happened recently in the market rather than understanding what the longer-term prospects are. And you should be thanking the O&G sector this past year as it's the reason why your Canadian index ETF have been performing.

But if you think so poorly of the sector, then you should short the XEG and go long the TSX as shorting the XEG will remove the O&G sector completely from your portfolio which should make you very happy.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
15904 posts
6416 upvotes
Toronto
craftsman wrote: But you are a trader if you are making a short-term call on what happened recently in the market rather than understanding what the longer-term prospects are. And you should be thanking the O&G sector this past year as it's the reason why your Canadian index ETF have been performing.

But if you think so poorly of the sector, then you should short the XEG and go long the TSX as shorting the XEG will remove the O&G sector completely from your portfolio which should make you very happy.
He said he's a buy and hold investor. He's not gonna short.

He's not wrong , the long term performance of Canadian oil and gas has been pretty poor. However, I think that the Sector has turned around and many Canadian energy companies are in a very strong position. I'm still bullish on the sector into 2022.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19808 posts
12904 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Blubbs wrote: It's in Belgium, Israel, Hong Kong. It spread in Hong Kong from one hotel room to another next door - airborne transmission, as expected.
All due to air travel. As for Hong Kong, they seem to have been too busy cracking down on political opponents over COVID control as they should have had much better hotel arrangements for quarantine.
Blubbs wrote: Relating to the geographic comment about one area of South Africa, most provinces of the country are now experiencing exponential covid case growth. See below:

We definitely need more data. Not a promising start.
Once again, not surprising considering the environment we are in. If you look at other areas of the globe which have low vaccination rates (and by low, I mean under 60% fully vaccinated), fare-ups of COVID are common even if they have been hard hit by previous waves. And in waves, exponential growth is expected as that's what defines a wave.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2015
2751 posts
1388 upvotes
Mississauga
ksgill wrote: More cases generally means more people in the hospital as percentage of the total population. Flu has been around for centuries and is 10x less fatal that COVID. How is it that 20 months into the pandemic we are still making this comparison? No hysteria, just facts.
Not always.... vaccines are helping somehow to keep it less severe...
"All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others" George Orwell
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2009
3954 posts
3150 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
craftsman wrote: But you are a trader if you are making a short-term call on what happened recently in the market rather than understanding what the longer-term prospects are. And you should be thanking the O&G sector this past year as it's the reason why your Canadian index ETF have been performing.

I don't think O&G will return negative in nominal terms but it will underperform the world markets.

Canadian oil has done poorly for the last decade and has no positive catalyst so that's a long term no for me.
If you buy vgro for a thousand years Vancouver homes will still be out of reach.
Deal Addict
Jun 2, 2020
1018 posts
1109 upvotes
V5y1v1
Worst single day in the last year for me with my leveraged commodity- heavy portfolio.

Still this made me laugh:

Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
12027 posts
7112 upvotes
Markham
Would be interesting next week, this variant plus debt celling and government shutdown noise
Deal Fanatic
Aug 17, 2008
7596 posts
7948 upvotes
PaddyM77101 wrote: Worst single day in the last year for me with my leveraged commodity- heavy portfolio.

You have the right temperament for investing and trading. +1. Have a good weekend.
Sep 28, 2011
736 posts
1291 upvotes
Winnipeg
Kurtz7834 wrote: It's been a very good day, Usually I am on Yahoo Finance
Fair enough. Thumbs Up Sign I've poked my head in there a few times, a lot of bots and pumping I found.
Sep 28, 2011
736 posts
1291 upvotes
Winnipeg
PaddyM77101 wrote: Worst single day in the last year for me with my leveraged commodity- heavy portfolio.

Thank you for sharing that I howled. 🤣

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 3 guests)

thematrix49