Investing

What did you buy? What might you buy??

  • Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2022 11:42 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
11799 posts
6855 upvotes
Markham
Would be interesting next week, this variant plus debt celling and government shutdown noise
Deal Fanatic
Aug 17, 2008
7386 posts
7584 upvotes
PaddyM77101 wrote: Worst single day in the last year for me with my leveraged commodity- heavy portfolio.

Still this made me laugh:
You have the right temperament for investing and trading. +1. Have a good weekend.
Sr. Member
Sep 28, 2011
641 posts
1058 upvotes
Winnipeg
Kurtz7834 wrote: It's been a very good day, Usually I am on Yahoo Finance
Fair enough. Thumbs Up Sign I've poked my head in there a few times, a lot of bots and pumping I found.
Sr. Member
Sep 28, 2011
641 posts
1058 upvotes
Winnipeg
PaddyM77101 wrote: Worst single day in the last year for me with my leveraged commodity- heavy portfolio.

Still this made me laugh:
Thank you for sharing that I howled. 🤣
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 21, 2007
10633 posts
8635 upvotes
Winnipeg
so.. no interest rates increase, possible lockdown, travel restrictions, meh.. At least I got to eat in a restaurant this evening. Also almost none of my penny stocks flinched. 3% down is normal lol.
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
15638 posts
6128 upvotes
Toronto
bigblue1ca wrote: Fair enough. Thumbs Up Sign I've poked my head in there a few times, a lot of bots and pumping I found.
That's true. I mainly just use Yahoo for charts, quotes and quick info.

As for this thread, I'm pleased with the knowledge of people here. I'm a value investor and it's refreshing that this just isn't full of day traders and hyping meme stocks. I will visit more often.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
12324 posts
11128 upvotes
faken wrote: so.. no interest rates increase, possible lockdown, travel restrictions, meh.. At least I got to eat in a restaurant this evening. Also almost none of my penny stocks flinched. 3% down is normal lol.
Supply chain just going to get worse if we shut down again. Oil down at least will offset some short term inflationary pressures but demand for goods is not going away anytime soon.

Last thing we want is another shut down. It will only make inflation worse on the other end.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
4426 posts
6941 upvotes
Canada
Kurtz7834 wrote: That's true. I mainly just use Yahoo for charts, quotes and quick info.

As for this thread, I'm pleased with the knowledge of people here. I'm a value investor and it's refreshing that this just isn't full of day traders and hyping meme stocks. I will visit more often.
This is probably the best Canadian online community in that regard. Crypto thread excluded Winking Face
Newbie
Mar 29, 2006
75 posts
29 upvotes
gibor365365 wrote: IMHO, it's a number of deaths "what matters most"... if today we have 1 case and tomorrow 3, the growth rate is 300% :)
200% increase is the correct figure. I agree with your point though.
Sr. Member
Mar 12, 2017
579 posts
430 upvotes
Sanyo wrote: Supply chain just going to get worse if we shut down again. Oil down at least will offset some short term inflationary pressures but demand for goods is not going away anytime soon.

Last thing we want is another shut down. It will only make inflation worse on the other end.
If I had to gamble, I would say that the odds that they lock up like before is less likely considering all the damages we have seen it has done. It's one thing to do it one time, but so many people are going to push back that second time now that we've experienced the consequences. The new variant would have to be much more dangerous.

Plus, scientifically speaking, viruses generally evolve to become less dangerous as it's their best way to create copy of themselves. That's what happened with H1N1 and many others.

Then again... Who knows? Covid has a longer incubation period, so maybe it doesn't need to become less dangerous like some other viruses.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
4426 posts
6941 upvotes
Canada
leolozon wrote: If I had to gamble, I would say that the odds that they lock up like before is less likely considering all the damages we have seen it has done. It's one thing to do it one time, but so many people are going to push back that second time now that we've experienced the consequences. The new variant would have to be much more dangerous.

Plus, scientifically speaking, viruses generally evolve to become less dangerous as it's their best way to create copy of themselves. That's what happened with H1N1 and many others.

Then again... Who knows? Covid has a longer incubation period, so maybe it doesn't need to become less dangerous like some other viruses.
That’s correct. Because Covid can spread extensively before symptoms even occur, there are far fewer selection pressures that would contribute to an evolutionary advantage from being less dangerous.

Also, for a virus to become endemic we need to be able to contain R0 to <1. This has become a very difficult task since the emergence of Delta. We are still nowhere near this unfortunately. A lesson the Alberta population and their quite unintelligent CMOH had to learn the hard way. It is a monumental global task and not comparable at all to containing the flu. As we saw in 2020, the flu basically disappeared under Covid measures.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
4426 posts
6941 upvotes
Canada
Two cases in UK, Johnson reimposes mask mandate.
Sr. Member
Mar 12, 2017
579 posts
430 upvotes
Blubbs wrote: That’s correct. Because Covid can spread extensively before symptoms even occur, there are far fewer selection pressures that would contribute to an evolutionary advantage from being less dangerous.

Also, for a virus to become endemic we need to be able to contain R0 to <1. This has become a very difficult task since the emergence of Delta. We are still nowhere near this unfortunately. A lesson the Alberta population and their quite unintelligent CMOH had to learn the hard way. It is a monumental global task and not comparable at all to containing the flu. As we saw in 2020, the flu basically disappeared under Covid measures.
That always made me laugh when some people around me were anti social distancing and thought covid was made up. They were saying the flu had disappeared and thought it meant it was a conspiration and scientists were ignoring the flu and passing it as covid. I was like : "But... Can't it just mean that social distancing is working? It's exactly what we would expect from wearing masks..."
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19514 posts
12577 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
zakarydoks wrote: I don't think O&G will return negative in nominal terms but it will underperform the world markets.

Canadian oil has done poorly for the last decade and has no positive catalyst so that's a long term no for me.
This is exactly the reason why I suggest that you short it if you are so convinced that your thesis is right.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19514 posts
12577 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Blubbs wrote: Two cases in UK, Johnson reimposes mask mandate.
Not exactly over reacting considering the UK has been hit hard by every wave and their population is still relatively below the ideal vaccination rate - they are at 80% or so. Now, if you combine that with the fact that they are largely vaccinated with the AstraZeneca vaccine, they may not be as well protected as let's say us at 76%.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
4426 posts
6941 upvotes
Canada
craftsman wrote: Not exactly over reacting considering the UK has been hit hard by every wave and their population is still relatively below the ideal vaccination rate - they are at 80% or so. Now, if you combine that with the fact that they are largely vaccinated with the AstraZeneca vaccine, they may not be as well protected as let's say us at 76%.
Precautionary principle makes sense here from public health perspective imo.

Cases in Germany, Italy… sounds like they will find some in LA in the next few days. Governor of NY just declared a new state of emergency, as far as I know without any confirmed cases yet.
Sr. Member
Mar 12, 2017
579 posts
430 upvotes
craftsman wrote: Not exactly over reacting considering the UK has been hit hard by every wave and their population is still relatively below the ideal vaccination rate - they are at 80% or so. Now, if you combine that with the fact that they are largely vaccinated with the AstraZeneca vaccine, they may not be as well protected as let's say us at 76%.
It's a good decison. Wearing the mask is such a lesser evil, it's a no brainer. All everyone should want is to avoid a lockdown. If they imposed the mask sooner in 2020, maybe the economy wouldn't have been hit that hard.
Last edited by leolozon on Nov 27th, 2021 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 14, 2009
3795 posts
2979 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
craftsman wrote: This is exactly the reason why I suggest that you short it if you are so convinced that your thesis is right.
Can't short it because in nominal terms it would still go up with inflation.
If you buy vgro for a thousand years Vancouver homes will still be out of reach.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 21, 2007
10633 posts
8635 upvotes
Winnipeg
oil is gonna get hammered on Monday..
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 1, 2008
16345 posts
5705 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
faken wrote: oil is gonna get hammered on Monday..
I feel like an idiot for not selling SU at $34 like @SkimGuy told me to
RFD is love. RFD is life.

Top

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

Chance7652