Investing

Locked: What did you buy? What might you buy??

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2022 11:49 am
Tags:
None
Temp. Banned
Jul 11, 2011
4978 posts
3330 upvotes
Ontario
"Wake me when December ends?!?"

Gonna be a lot more of this see-saw stuff in the near-term ...
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2007
13044 posts
11386 upvotes
It's Biden's turn to wreck it now haha.

I bought 1/2 position into AC just now
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2006
1152 posts
734 upvotes
St Johns
Bought more AMZN
Apr 22, 2017
67 posts
47 upvotes
Anyone looking at $CGX.TO ?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15619 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
faken wrote: so.. what are the chances of LSPD bouncing back :s
It depends on timing but the window is closing fast. The company did poorly in defending its claims against the short seller in the first place. Then their earnings report didn't do anything in terms of performance to hit back at the short seller but rather strengthen certain key points that the seller was making. With the above two points, the momentum got knocked out of the stock. Normally, a stock can recover from this as long as the macro picture keeps chugging along (think LULU and how it was knocked around in the $60's down to the $40's...) and the business recovers with strong numbers and people forget about the short seller.

Unfortunately for LSPD, the macroeconomic picture doesn't look too good for it. Competitors are coming along which basically provide the same service, as well as a number of large competitors with deep pockets, are moving into the space. For LSPD to move back up, they need to have some great numbers in the next earnings report and follow that up with a strong forecast as well as rinsing and repeating the following quarters BEFORE the competitors start eating LSPD's business away from them. If they repeat what they did this last quarter, next quarter, it will be a long time before it goes back up or even if it goes back up.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15619 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Kurtz7834 wrote: Canadian banks always win. Buy ZEB and hold it for a decade.
If your theory holds, I would go with HCAL over ZEB due to the extra 25% leverage used. Over the past year, the actual price performance has been the same (1/2 point difference with HCAL on top). The difference comes at the distribution side of things - 3.1% for ZEB vs 5.39% for HCAL - according to their websites. Now if the banks actually move upwards (which they should), in theory, HCAL with the additional leverage should see more upside.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15619 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Capt. wrote: Well, you did better than me on it, so far at least. Still holding and down about 4% I believe. I'm planning to keep it and see how the story plays out in the LT.

Also considering backing up the truck to load up on MFC. Currently yielding 5.78% at today's closing price. I'm wondering if I can get it above 6%, ie. sub $22
It may. The next leg down for the markets may be when Omicron is detected in the US.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15619 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
leolozon wrote: What's up with Tourmaline? I regret buying that. I thought having natural gas would be better than just oil.
NG is really a call on the weather. Since we haven't had a cold snap in North America yet, NG is selling down. If we don't get one soon, we will see NG take another hit even if a cold snap hits early next year.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2007
1938 posts
2321 upvotes
My god the 3M LSPD chart is ugly.

Was looking for entry. At this rate may as well as wait for sub $60 and see how that plays out.

Diving off a cliff literally.

1st cliff - short seller report
2nd cliff - poor earning
3rd cliff ish - Omicron / broader market weakness -> risk off

What's next ?
Images
  • A3EDE84E-5378-4F81-B7B7-F8BDBF599680.jpeg
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15619 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
R8247 wrote: My god the 3M LSPD chart is ugly.

Was looking for entry. At this rate may as well as wait for sub $60 and see how that plays out.

Diving off a cliff literally.

1st cliff - short seller report
2nd cliff - poor earning
3rd cliff ish - Omicron / broader market weakness -> risk off

What's next ?
Yep. I wouldn't buy until I see a 10% increase from the recent lows so that the bottom is more or less confirmed - ie from the lows here $67 but if it goes down to $50, then $55.

The funny thing is that LSPD went up massively due to the initial COVID moves... now with Omicron, it's going down further. Not good price action.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15619 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Just sold out of my cost base for Canfor after a double - not just due to Omicron but going back to my previous thesis that the US housing market may have issues especially with rates rising. I had previously sold my cost base for West Fraser on the same premise. Haven't put my money back into the market yet from these two forest product sells.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2007
1938 posts
2321 upvotes
craftsman wrote: Yep. I wouldn't buy until I see a 10% increase from the recent lows so that the bottom is more or less confirmed - ie from the lows here $67 but if it goes down to $50, then $55.

The funny thing is that LSPD went up massively due to the initial COVID moves... now with Omicron, it's going down further. Not good price action.
Ya agreed. Need a (semi) confirmation that the bottom is in.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2013
6150 posts
10800 upvotes
Canada
craftsman wrote: Yep. I wouldn't buy until I see a 10% increase from the recent lows so that the bottom is more or less confirmed - ie from the lows here $67 but if it goes down to $50, then $55.

Might be the way of the broader markets too. We are way more inflated than we were. Remains to be seen.

Today's bump is now essentially erased. And still trending downward?

I don't know why the market would react to the US Omicron case. You'd have to be an idiot to think it wasn't already in the US. I wonder if again, it's the general malaise plus the Yellen / JPow speaking points.
Jun 8, 2015
81 posts
147 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Anybody picking up any of the pipelines at these prices (KEY, PPL, ENB, TRP)?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15619 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
R8247 wrote: Ya agreed. Need a (semi) confirmation that the bottom is in.
Looking at the longer-term chart, it looks like there may be some support at $50 or so. LSPD is at the 52 week low with no catalyst to change the trend so $50 is possible.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15619 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Blubbs wrote: Might be the way of the broader markets too. We are way more inflated than we were. Remains to be seen.

I don't know why the market would react to the US Omicron case. You'd have to be an idiot to think it wasn't already in the US. I wonder if again, it's the general malaise plus the Yellen / JPow speaking points.
LSPD's current price action isn't moving with the likes of SHOP which is the normal association - ie people talk about LSPD as a baby SHOP. Even today, LSPD is down BIG in comparison to SHOP under the same macro economics. Remember that LSPD went up BIG along with with SHOP initial when COVID was announced.

As far as the general market moves, that's just how it is. I completely agree with you that unless you were living under a rock, Omicron in the US was a forgone conclusion and should have been priced in. However, I don't think the algos in much of the computerized trading had been adjusted to price it in yet.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2013
6150 posts
10800 upvotes
Canada
craftsman wrote: LSPD's current price action isn't moving with the likes of SHOP which is the normal association - ie people talk about LSPD as a baby SHOP. Even today, LSPD is down BIG in comparison to SHOP under the same macro economics. Remember that LSPD went up BIG along with with SHOP initial when COVID was announced.

As far as the general market moves, that's just how it is. I completely agree with you that unless you were living under a rock, Omicron in the US was a forgone conclusion and should have been priced in. However, I don't think the algos in much of the computerized trading had been adjusted to price it in yet.
It's interesting to watch the algos at work. Just hard bounced off turning red and popping again. This volatility reminds me of quite a while ago.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
18444 posts
9756 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
Blubbs wrote: Might be the way of the broader markets too. We are way more inflated than we were. Remains to be seen.

Yes, agreed that any investor that did not already realize that Omicron would be coming to the US is naive and foolish. The market is very jittery now and not trading on logic. Everybody is waiting for a bottom but it's not gonna be obvious when it is. One day there will be a huge rebound as well, it may happen for Energy after the OPEC+ meeting ends.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
18444 posts
9756 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
AndyB35 wrote: Anybody picking up any of the pipelines at these prices (KEY, PPL, ENB, TRP)?
I would recommend the ZEO ETF which likely has stakes in all of em.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)