• May 18th, 2022 3:00 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
4421 posts
6929 upvotes
Canada
Sanyo wrote: This is a dead stock. Buy BCE or Telus instead and get the dividend tax credit to boot.

If you invest in US buy things that CDN market doesnt have too much of like Consumer discretionary/staples, Healthcare, Industrials/Materials and high quality Tech.

No need to buy US telcos, financials or utilities, we got better options. And railways CNR and CP.
I generally agree, just noticed the pop and read the news.

PS BCE and T.TO are my second and third largest single holdings, I have over $50k of each
Last edited by Blubbs on Dec 16th, 2021 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 25, 2006
7266 posts
2218 upvotes
Even with a travel ban, AC aint crashing to mid teens. Given what we know so far, a ban isn't gonna wreck havoc on airlines since vaccines are out.
"If you make a mistake but then change your ways, it is like never having made a mistake at all" - Confucius
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
4421 posts
6929 upvotes
Canada

Time to sell all your property and buy stocks! Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes

I'm curious how many loopholes will exist.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2015
1403 posts
588 upvotes
Blubbs wrote:

Time to sell all your property and buy stocks! Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes

I'm curious how many loopholes will exist.
is this the counter measure for softwood tax or Line 5 retaliation? :rolleyes:
loophole, a lot Confused Facefix, none. :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2011
1910 posts
638 upvotes
Vancouver
This growth meltdown is erasing lot of people years of gains
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
8164 posts
5041 upvotes
Vancouver
gskn4u wrote: Reddit, known for its message boards that became the go-to destination for day traders during this year's meme stock frenzy, was looking at a valuation of more than $15 billion, Reuters had reported in September.

The company was valued at $10 billion in a private fundraising round earlier this year.

another $HOOD in making?
So basically the strategy should be get in for a quick profit and exit before the dump, lol
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
12324 posts
11126 upvotes
notenoughsleep wrote: So basically the strategy should be get in for a quick profit and exit before the dump, lol
They sense the end is near… we are in a tech bubble
I called it back in February that tech names were frothy.

Cash out cause the value could be down another 50% within one year…
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
8164 posts
5041 upvotes
Vancouver
Sanyo wrote: They sense the end is near… we are in a tech bubble
I called it back in February that tech names were frothy.

Cash out cause the value could be down another 50% within one year…
Can't we argue that even some of the defensive names are now overvalued as well?
Mar 12, 2017
579 posts
430 upvotes
I was tired of not buying anything and lacked exposure to the USA, so I bought a quarter position in ZVU. I'm not a fan of the low trading, but this ETF makes sense to me right now.

Bought CAR.un as I realized I didn't have lot of REIT

Bought DFY and I wish I bought a bigger position, but I'm scared of buying too much right now.

Everything that I was watching didn't dip.

What was up with BMO dipping 2.4% while most other banks went up?
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2012
1439 posts
1893 upvotes
notenoughsleep wrote: Can't we argue that even some of the defensive names are now overvalued as well?
Yep as well... We are entering a true period of stock picking vs Major Index investing... Easy money has been made. Fundamentals may actually come back in style in '22.
@Sanyo ... As per previous posts, I have been selling down Tech for the last 2 months which was probably better than selling out in Feb Winking Face. You're right though, I didn't add to Tech all year but kept market weight. Was actually expecting IR's (moving Bond yields) to have had more of an impact much earlier.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2015
5473 posts
3447 upvotes
Saint-Hubert, QC
leolozon wrote: I was tired of not buying anything and lacked exposure to the USA, so I bought a quarter position in ZVU. I'm not a fan of the low trading, but this ETF makes sense to me right now.

Bought CAR.un as I realized I didn't have lot of REIT

Bought DFY and I wish I bought a bigger position, but I'm scared of buying too much right now.

Everything that I was watching didn't dip.

What was up with BMO dipping 2.4% while most other banks went up?
For BMO, only thing I could find (saw it in the banking thread)

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/bank-mon ... 51467.html
Alterna Bank Thread
Stock Thread

TFSA Portfolio: AEM|ATD|BAM.A|BCE|BIP.UN|CCL.B|CNQ|CNR|CTC.A|ENB|FCD.UN|FN|FTS|FTT|GSY|IFC|IMO|MFC|MG|MRU|NA|NET.UN|SJ|T
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2015
1614 posts
1624 upvotes
@FarmerHarv @Chance7652

Re: Omega Healthcare Investors (OHI)
Thanks for the replies, I see them just now.

If I do buy OHI it will be mainly for the dividend growth, but could end up being just a trade. My thinking is that this being such a bad year for it, there is likely some tax loss selling going on, and when that ends it could have a nice rally.

I made the original post for the benefit of those debbie-downers who when you pull into the driveway with a sparking new green Mercedes they say, "You should have told me you were buying, I could have gotten you a way better deal". Of course, beforehand, they have nothing to say. So I appreciate your input while I'm still thinking.

OHI all data chart: Adjusted for distributions, price starts at $2.40 in 1992. I haven't done the math on that for CAGR - compound annual growth rate.

OHI total return.png

Chart source: Koyfin.com
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
12324 posts
11126 upvotes
notenoughsleep wrote: Can't we argue that even some of the defensive names are now overvalued as well?
Some yes. Not as bad as tech though.

Apple for example stock is up nearly 340% in the last three years.

Three years prior the stock was up barely 50%.

Nearly 6x in the last three years over the prior 3 year period.... 2021 had a very big pull forward demand that shot revenue up 33% cause of stay at home that had many people splurging on computers and phones for work and school. But 2018-2020 saw barely much growth at all (barely 5% over that two year period). It's hard to argue people will be upgrading their laptops and phones as much in 2022 and 2023 and no stimmy money for people to blow their money.

So clearly much of the market is frothy. If valuations have a chance to catch up, it could be many years of stagnated share price. Happens in many cycles. This will be no different.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2012
1439 posts
1893 upvotes
Sanyo wrote: I like BEPC but there will be price adjustment on this stock as rates go up. Stock is still over 100% up over its price just two years ago. Still can adjust into the low 30s or even high 20s over the next year.

Most renewables are still way overpriced.

Good luck tho.
Yep...Sold down a lot of my renewables in Feb and am looking at new / add positions. This one looks still very expensive but given the SP, I don't expect an equity raise (not BAM sub style). I track it via BEP (for valuation assessment) and is not my first choice (Financials always look poor) before adding to existing renewable positions, but would get more interested to initiate with a further -10% correction.

Given it doesn't really trade on Fundamentals (rather BAM association), a dividend hike will still likely happen here.
Last edited by DealRNothing on Dec 16th, 2021 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
11788 posts
6843 upvotes
Markham
EuRaFree wrote: like Apple? Winking Face
My defensive stock MSFT is also doing very "well" lol

When a company is run by a CEO who knows how to time the market, you know stock will do "well"
Sep 28, 2011
627 posts
1028 upvotes
Winnipeg
bigblue1ca wrote: Yup, tech sure took off like a rocket. But, who knows, the market has been going up and down like a yo-yo for the past month. There's still time for a Santa Rally, but things pretty well have to take off from here.
And the trend continues today!
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2009
3785 posts
2970 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
bigblue1ca wrote: And the trend continues today!
I actually prefer choppy markets, more exciting and better pricing.
If you buy vgro for a thousand years Vancouver homes will still be out of reach.
Dec 2, 2017
750 posts
863 upvotes
smartie wrote: My defensive stock MSFT is also doing very "well" lol

When a company is run by a CEO who knows how to time the market, you know stock will do "well"
By "knows how to time the market" you meant being first in line for massive handouts from Fed, I assume
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2010
1146 posts
564 upvotes
Stupid question . What does it means when people say full position, half or quarter position?
"Only when the tide goes out do you discover who's been swimming naked" - Warren Buffett -

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

mathbes