Investing

Locked: What did you buy? What might you buy??

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2022 11:49 am
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2007
13044 posts
11386 upvotes
will888 wrote: So the bear market punted your aspirations down the road. Face With Tears Of Joy
I was always adding to xgro. That's where 70% of my profits always went to. I guess there's no more good short term plays for awhile lol.
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land
Feb 26, 2013
94 posts
51 upvotes
Any on familiar with CIBC and NEO Canadian Depositary Receipts?

Any pit falls to look out for? Don't have any USD and interested in adding DIS for long term.

Microsoft Canadian Depositary Receipts (CAD Hedged) – MSFT
Walt Disney Canadian Depositary Receipts (CAD Hedged) – DIS
Visa Canadian Depositary Receipts (CAD Hedged) – VISA
Facebook Canadian Depositary Receipts (CAD Hedged) – FACE
PayPal Canadian Depositary Receipts (CAD Hedged) – PYPL
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2020
1321 posts
854 upvotes
spike1128 wrote: All in ZOM lol.
Is this not looking risky? overall analysis & forecast doesn't seem to be healthy. May be my interpretation is wrong?
Deal Guru
Sep 8, 2007
10978 posts
14471 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Stevewithalaptop wrote: Any on familiar with CIBC and NEO Canadian Depositary Receipts?

Any pit falls to look out for? Don't have any USD and interested in adding DIS for long term.

Microsoft Canadian Depositary Receipts (CAD Hedged) – MSFT
Walt Disney Canadian Depositary Receipts (CAD Hedged) – DIS
Visa Canadian Depositary Receipts (CAD Hedged) – VISA
Facebook Canadian Depositary Receipts (CAD Hedged) – FACE
PayPal Canadian Depositary Receipts (CAD Hedged) – PYPL
Same question, in my experience this types of products always have some residual risks or don’t behave properly in black swan type markets. So be interested to know…

I’m warming to AMZN and SHOP…but admit I’m tentative. Seeing bond yields starting to cool, makes me see a relief rally in the cards. What tech names would you folks buy?
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2007
13044 posts
11386 upvotes
nowhere2010 wrote: Is this not looking risky? overall analysis & forecast doesn't seem to be healthy. May be my interpretation is wrong?
I don't think you caught his sarcasm lol.
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land
Feb 26, 2013
94 posts
51 upvotes
cartfan123 wrote: Same question, in my experience this types of products always have some residual risks or don’t behave properly in black swan type markets. So be interested to know…

I’m warming to AMZN and SHOP…but admit I’m tentative. Seeing bond yields starting to cool, makes me see a relief rally in the cards. What tech names would you folks buy?
At a second glance the no management fees is pretty prominent on the CIBC site but there is currency hedge fee. For 2+ years it makes sense to just do the conversion unless you want the cad hedge.

"Unlike ETFs, CDRs don't have ongoing management fees, although there are more subtle embedded fees. This is from the CIBC site: “The notional currency hedge includes a spread earned by CIBC which will on average not exceed 0.60% on an annualized basis."

https://www.moneysense.ca/columns/retir ... -receipts/
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2020
1321 posts
854 upvotes
faken wrote: I don't think you caught his sarcasm lol.
Got it now LOL
Nov 30, 2017
469 posts
337 upvotes
Toronto
SPY approaching bear territory 20% drop of ATH + gap down today. All recipes for a potential beginning of a reversal, It's today or never.
Sep 5, 2019
353 posts
213 upvotes
Nibbled into BAM just now
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
8517 posts
6260 upvotes
It's like everything is on sale, my phone buzzing non-stop of 52-week lows or all-time-lows, not sure what to buy now
Feb 26, 2013
94 posts
51 upvotes
Filled a buy for BNS @ $80 I set last week.

Bit of yield chasing

Have a buy out for BCE @ 61.3 - 6% (Wishful thinking)

Debating

MFC @ 22 - 6% *edit* put in a bid @ $20.3 might as well be greedy.
AQN @ 17 - 5%
Last edited by Stevewithalaptop on May 12th, 2022 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2004
3138 posts
2300 upvotes
automation wrote: Anyone bought lnr.to? Any thoughts?
P/e is about 7.**
Thanks
I like LNR in general. I think they are a well-run company and have a lot of good businesses with international exposure. Very cyclical though. Always appears "cheap" on a P/E or CF basis. Earnings are expected to decline by 8% for '22, but at today's levels it does appear to be reasonably valued.

For me the questions with Linamar would be how much longer are the semiconductor chip and supply chain issues going to affect them, as well as the possible decline in demand/recession later this year. I don't have the answers so I am not buying LNR, although I've looked at it recently and think you could do pretty well buying it at these levels.
Stevewithalaptop wrote: Filled a buy for BNS @ $80 I set last week.
Same here - my buy @ $79.88 went through this morning.
Nov 24, 2016
684 posts
992 upvotes
Rip. I have quite a bit of insurance stocks. IAG missed hard as well.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26763 posts
9333 upvotes
where I belong
Stevewithalaptop wrote: Filled a buy for BNS @ $80 I set last week.

Bit of yield chasing

Have a buy out for BCE @ 61.3 - 6% (Wishful thinking)

Debating

MFC @ 22 - 6%
AQN @ 17 - 5%
MFC -10% now, ouch

SHOP +9%, FINALLY
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A
Oct 7, 2020
5 posts
5 upvotes
In on MFC @ $21.95...
Sep 28, 2011
818 posts
1481 upvotes
Winnipeg
Eyes
Fed Should Hike to 5% or Higher to Curb Inflation - Former Federal Reserve Bank of New York President Bill Dudley

The U.S. central bank should stop “sugarcoating” its message on how high interest rates need to go -- and how much pain that will cause -- to get inflation under control.

“I think it’s 4 to 5 (percent) or higher,” Dudley said in an interview with Bloomberg Surveillance on Wednesday on how high the Fed should raise interest rates to cool price pressures. “I was 3 to 4 (percent) maybe six months ago. Now I’m 4 to 5 and it wouldn’t shock me if I’m 5 to 6 a few months from now,” said Dudley.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2020
1321 posts
854 upvotes
WOW SHOP.TO 10%
Deal Addict
Jun 2, 2020
1300 posts
1424 upvotes
Van City
Added a bit to U-UN, DIS and AFN.V
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nothing is as important as we think it is while we are thinking about it
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
2803 posts
2613 upvotes
YYZ
nowhere2010 wrote: WOW SHOP.TO 10%
dead cat / oversold bounce.
watch out more pain to come IMO.
Licensed Full Service Realtor