Investing

Locked: What did you buy? What might you buy??

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2022 11:49 am
Tags:
None
Oct 4, 2017
252 posts
168 upvotes
dpwr wrote: I feel like you'll be late to the party with Loblaw, just look at the run up
True say. Though I hate buying stocks at 52 highs... :(
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2011
2309 posts
2375 upvotes
Montréal
Spirit2 wrote: US economy drops by 0.9% and this is the second straight drop. Just slowing down.. nothing bad.

Yes, it is not a recession as definitions are being changed now... we will be fine as per new definitions and promises by leaders/administrators.
EasyCompany251 wrote: Yes seems like lot of this going around these days. Just like Russia......not a war....just special military operation.
To be fair, I have never seen a recession without job losses (quite the opposite at the moment), that is what makes this situation unique. No one has a clue what is going on.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2007
11373 posts
9701 upvotes
Winnipeg
admiralackbar wrote: To be fair, I have never seen a recession without job losses (quite the opposite at the moment), that is what makes this situation unique. No one has a clue what is going on.
All you gotta know is.. if you don't need the money in 10-15 years in index funds.. you'll be fine. :D.
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
25963 posts
7996 upvotes
where I belong
charliebrown wrote: Found something re: Bausch Health to explain the 50% drop (BHC aka Valeant aka Biovail)

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/health-la ... f-ibs-drug
Curse of the TSX
whomever overtook RBC for #1 market cap dies eventually
Nortel, BlackBerry, VRX/Valeant, Shopify

Bausch Health plummets 50% following judge's Xifaxan patent order
https://seekingalpha.com/news/3862453-b ... tent-order
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2015
1465 posts
663 upvotes
joepipe wrote: surprised its not trading at a higher price .... lagging markets a bit and other etfs like HDIF and HDIV

anyone know why ?
more Tech, more downside I think. of course, I hope more Tech more upside in future.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20532 posts
13924 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
smartie wrote: If you are into dividends, there are a lot canadian companies that have better dividends, why INTC?

Just curious
GBUalways wrote: I didn’t say I chose INTC primarily because of its dividend right? My portfolio has mixed growth and value stocks in US and Canada. IMHO, INTC is a great value company and suits my mid/long term investment profile. That’s all. The dividend is a cherry on top. The progression of CHIPS act in US House makes me FOMO :). I could be dead wrong and won’t be surprised if the stock price doesn’t go anywhere or will even go down. Nobody really knows the future!
There's also diversification... name a Canadian company that pays a dividend in the chips space?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20532 posts
13924 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
nousername wrote: Because they “met” the expectations instead of “beating “them .which is stupid imo.
Not too stupid... their major competitor CN had blow out earnings so why did CP only meet expectations?
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2007
4055 posts
4537 upvotes
Toronto
reps001 wrote: more Tech, more downside I think. of course, I hope more Tech more upside in future.
ya i saw that but with nasdaq bounce yesterday I really expected it to be up more, also they hold 13% of value in gold producer ETF GLCC , gold miners killed recently.....

tempted to add more at this price ....
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20532 posts
13924 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
jerryhung wrote: Curse of the TSX
whomever overtook RBC for #1 market cap dies eventually
Nortel, BlackBerry, VRX/Valeant, Shopify

Bausch Health plummets 50% following judge's Xifaxan patent order
https://seekingalpha.com/news/3862453-b ... tent-order
Overreaction. BHC owns 89% of BLCO which basically held up pretty good.

I believe that short sellers stepped in on the news thinking that they could make a quick buck.
Dec 20, 2014
99 posts
213 upvotes
Markham, ON
deal_with_singh wrote: I stand by my statement. I am who I am because of my 'reckless' moves.

Going 'all in' near the facebook IPO in the $20's using debt, going all in on Tesla at $17 pre-split near IPO, going 'all in' on Lithium Americas Corp around $3/share... those were all considered 'reckless' moves by most. We all know how those worked out.

I don't consider these gambles (Other than the short term Tesla bet in the post you're quoting), I invest based on my own research, and due diligence I've done, and I invest in the long term fundamentals of the company where I can see value creation.

Like I said in the post you're quoting, these are 'long term' trades I've made - I have no issue if the stock goes down further, I'm more focused on where it'll be when the dust has settled.

The greater the risk, the greater the return.
Care of share of some your failed investments? Or you're batting 1000%?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 21, 2005
5780 posts
1319 upvotes
London, ON
craftsman wrote: Overreaction. BHC owns 89% of BLCO which basically held up pretty good.

I believe that short sellers stepped in on the news thinking that they could make a quick buck.
Gotta wonder if BHC’s current market cap doesn’t reflect its ownership of BLCO. They picked the worst time to spin off two subs (Bausch & Lomb, and Solta (cancelled/deferred)
:idea: :) :lol: :razz: :D
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20532 posts
13924 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
charliebrown wrote: Gotta wonder if BHC’s current market cap doesn’t reflect its ownership of BLCO. They picked the worst time to spin off two subs (Bausch & Lomb, and Solta (cancelled/deferred)
That's correct which is why I'm still holding it. I suspect that shorts came in early on this one and depressed the stock price.
Mar 11, 2008
202 posts
357 upvotes
admiralackbar wrote: To be fair, I have never seen a recession without job losses (quite the opposite at the moment), that is what makes this situation unique. No one has a clue what is going on.
Yeah, 4 of the last 9 recessions haven't even had 2 consecutive quarters of negative GDP growth within the recession, so I'm not sure why people are so hung up on that as a definition. It's true that post-WWII there hasn't been a period where that has happened and there hasn't been a recession (so chances are we'll see one), but as you say they've all been accompanied by job losses:

1949 recession: 4.0% unemployment at the beginning to 6.6% by the end

1953-54 recession: 2.7% to 5.8%

1957-58 recession: 4.4% to 7.4%

1960-61 recession: 5.1% to 7.0%

1970 recession: 3.5% to 6.1%

1974-75 recession: 4.9% to 8.6%

1981-82 recession: 7.4% to 10.8%

1990-91 recession: 5.9% to 6.9%

2001 recession: 4.3% to 5.7%

2008-09 recession: 5.0% to 10.0%

2020 recession: 3.5% to 11.0%

Current period over the last 2 quarters: 3.9% to 3.6%

So if job losses start to happen to a significant degree, then it'll be obvious we're in a recession. But if growth recovers in Q3 or Q4 without significant job losses, will this have really been a recession? Probably not by any real definition. Though I suppose you could argue that the current unemployment rate is demographic driven (boomers retiring) more so than a strong economy, and that's a fair argument.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2007
1677 posts
1063 upvotes
Toronto
I don’t think there’s job losses because the baby boomers are now all retiring and there isn’t enough of their kids to backfill the positions. Job vacancies are everywhere!
Jan 22, 2021
466 posts
821 upvotes
There were lot of things to look forward for this week. Most of the news is here.

Major companies generally missing expectations / Negative Guidance -
GOOG
MSFT ( Some positive talk)
META
QCOM
SHOP
WMT

US GDP News- Negative Q2 at -0.9%

FED News - 75 points hike and looking to continue QT

Market -- Gr8. We knew all this would happen. Priced in. pumps above 4K SPX. SPX up 150 points from this week lows and overall 12% from bottom.

Is the bear market over ? Some guys think the worst is behind us, so party can start. Guess, we have to wait and see. However not having buying power if SPX dumps to new lows would suck.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 25, 2006
7818 posts
2897 upvotes
Soft landingggggggggg.

I would bet that July's CPI figures will be dramatically down.

Which may set the mood for Aug people guessing Sept meeting to be pausing on hikes.
"If you make a mistake but then change your ways, it is like never having made a mistake at all" - Confucius
Dec 8, 2013
444 posts
640 upvotes
Reminds me of when JPowell ruled out 75bps. Market rallied for some time. People were jubilant. Until CPI & Unemployment #s came in. Now we had not 1 but 2 x 75 bps.

I feel like there is still too much froth in the stock market, in the job market, and in people's pockets to say the battle with inflation is behind us and soft landing ahead.

Still, might be a good rally until Fall though. Enjoy it while it lasts.
Jul 7, 2020
866 posts
474 upvotes
Bought more TWM.TO @ 1.22 now
Mar 12, 2017
703 posts
657 upvotes
nowhere2010 wrote: Bought more TWM.TO @ 1.22 now
Yeah, bought at 1.18 this morning, I was surprised when I saw the drop. Financing at 1.2, oh well. Should be good long term.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)