• Last Updated:
  • Oct 5th, 2022 1:42 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 22, 2021
442 posts
774 upvotes
Amazon pumping more than Apple after hours by losing money... lol

Operating cash flow decreased 40% to $35.6 billion for the trailing twelve months, compared with $59.3 billion for the trailing twelve months ended June 30, 2021.

Free cash flow decreased to an outflow of $23.5 billion for the trailing twelve months, compared with an inflow of $12.1 billion for the trailing twelve months ended June 30, 2021.

Free cash flow less principal repayments of finance leases and financing obligations decreased to an outflow of $33.5 billion for the trailing twelve months, compared with an inflow of $0.6 billion for the trailing twelve months ended June 30, 2021.

Free cash flow less equipment finance leases and principal repayments of all other finance leases and financing obligations decreased to an outflow of $26.1 billion for the trailing twelve months, compared with an inflow of $4.2 billion for the trailing twelve months ended June 30, 2021.

Net sales increased 7% to $121.2 billion in the second quarter, compared with $113.1 billion in second quarter 2021. Excluding the $3.6 billion unfavorable impact from year-over-year changes in foreign exchange rates throughout the quarter, net sales increased 10% compared with second quarter 2021.

Operating income decreased to $3.3 billion in the second quarter, compared with $7.7 billion in second quarter 2021.

Net loss was $2.0 billion in the second quarter, or $0.20 per diluted share, compared with net income of $7.8 billion, or $0.76 per diluted share, in second quarter 2021. Second quarter 2022 net loss includes a pre-tax valuation loss of $3.9 billion included in non-operating expense from our common stock investment in Rivian Automotive, Inc.

So, overall Amazon is worse on everything other than net sales. Sure looks like a earning beat when expectations are low.

EPS for Q2 is -$0.20 and rewarded with a 12% pump after hours.. Face With Tears Of Joy .. Not going to touch this stock anytime soon.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2015
1452 posts
654 upvotes
Spirit2 wrote: Amazon pumping more than Apple after hours by losing money... lol

Operating cash flow decreased 40% to $35.6 billion for the trailing twelve months, compared with $59.3 billion for the trailing twelve months ended June 30, 2021.

Free cash flow decreased to an outflow of $23.5 billion for the trailing twelve months, compared with an inflow of $12.1 billion for the trailing twelve months ended June 30, 2021.

Free cash flow less principal repayments of finance leases and financing obligations decreased to an outflow of $33.5 billion for the trailing twelve months, compared with an inflow of $0.6 billion for the trailing twelve months ended June 30, 2021.

Free cash flow less equipment finance leases and principal repayments of all other finance leases and financing obligations decreased to an outflow of $26.1 billion for the trailing twelve months, compared with an inflow of $4.2 billion for the trailing twelve months ended June 30, 2021.

Net sales increased 7% to $121.2 billion in the second quarter, compared with $113.1 billion in second quarter 2021. Excluding the $3.6 billion unfavorable impact from year-over-year changes in foreign exchange rates throughout the quarter, net sales increased 10% compared with second quarter 2021.

Operating income decreased to $3.3 billion in the second quarter, compared with $7.7 billion in second quarter 2021.

Net loss was $2.0 billion in the second quarter, or $0.20 per diluted share, compared with net income of $7.8 billion, or $0.76 per diluted share, in second quarter 2021. Second quarter 2022 net loss includes a pre-tax valuation loss of $3.9 billion included in non-operating expense from our common stock investment in Rivian Automotive, Inc.

So, overall Amazon is worse on everything other than net sales. Sure looks like a earning beat when expectations are low.

EPS for Q2 is -$0.20 and rewarded with a 12% pump after hours.. Face With Tears Of Joy
better miss than beat. :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2014
2699 posts
4498 upvotes
Atlantic
RFDBeliever wrote: GWO has a higher dividend, but MFC may be a better buy (less premium vs GWO)?
Manulife chronically undervalued. Very little price movement over the past 10 years.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 25, 2006
7627 posts
2666 upvotes
Spirit2 wrote: Amazon pumping more than Apple after hours by losing money... lol

EPS for Q2 is -$0.20 and rewarded with a 12% pump after hours.. Face With Tears Of Joy .. Not going to touch this stock anytime soon.
It has something to do with their AWS platform earnings I think.

Remember, comparing figures to 2021 which was a perfect picture for all growth companies, the figures are going to look ugly now and has been priced in accordingly.
"If you make a mistake but then change your ways, it is like never having made a mistake at all" - Confucius
Jan 22, 2021
442 posts
774 upvotes
1xTiMeR wrote: It has something to do with their AWS platform earnings I think.

Remember, comparing figures to 2021 which was a perfect picture for all growth companies, the figures are going to look ugly now and has been priced in accordingly.
I get what you are saying.. But when a company lost few billions overall and pumps 12% because growth in a particular segment, It is weird to me. AWS is still a smaller segment of Amazon. Just today AWS had an incident in Eastern US where it went down.

Will be interesting to see where Amazon is by summer of 2023.

I get the feeling that market is in the mood to find reasons to pump and is picking on any positive it can find. lol.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
9065 posts
2767 upvotes
Solar hitting it highest since Dec. Plug +25%, BLDP +14%. I will be looking to solar and battery
If you aren't willing to take small losses, then you will take big losses. This is my guarantee. -
Mark Minervini
Mar 2, 2021
65 posts
79 upvotes
Spirit2 wrote: I get what you are saying.. But when a company lost few billions overall and pumps 12% because growth in a particular segment, It is weird to me. AWS is still a smaller segment of Amazon. Just today AWS had an incident in Eastern US where it went down.

Will be interesting to see where Amazon is by summer of 2023.

I get the feeling that market is in the mood to find reasons to pump and is picking on any positive it can find. lol.
Remember stocks rarely trade on fundamentals overvtge last decade. With Algorithmic trading dominating the landscape, flows and momentum matter much more.

AMZN’s price action after hours is more a function of algos front running the retail/hedge fund demand to buy this ticker, and pumping it for all they can squeeze out of it. Earnings were not a disaster, so why not?
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
19301 posts
7785 upvotes
Toronto
joshuaguo wrote: Care of share of some your failed investments? Or you're batting 1000%?
Most of my failures are public if you wish to go back into my post history, but if we’re referring to “big bets” - yes I’m batting “1000%”.

I’ve lost money in many smaller plays, particularly spacs, feel free to check that thread out…PSTH/BTWN/IPOF/BRDS/DNA, all big losses from a nominal standpoint

I’ve also lost money on gold/silver miners a few years ago with IAMGold being the biggest loser. But like I said earlier, there’s only been a handful of times I’ve gone “all in”, and have yet to fail over long term. Once was the 2008 stock market crash,,the other was FB in the 20s, Lithium around $3, and Tesla at $17, and even CIBC at $68 pre split in 2020

In the grand magnitude, I have never had a year that I’ve lost money (since starting in 2008), and I’ve had only 2 years where I’ve underperformed the index. And if looking at my lifetime performance; I’ve beat the index by a wide margin.
Jul 7, 2020
835 posts
463 upvotes
In BNN just now on NA stocks, when someone asked him about ENB stock, he said it's considered as Sell at this price. Not sure why would someone sells ENB @ 57 price unless it's future is questionable.
Any thoughts?
Aug 2, 2015
88 posts
130 upvotes
Birdton, NB
nowhere2010 wrote: In BNN just now on NA stocks, when someone asked him about ENB stock, he said it's considered as Sell at this price. Not sure why would someone sells ENB @ 57 price unless it's future is questionable.
Any thoughts?
Why would you not consider it a sell at $57? What's your thesis?
Jul 7, 2020
835 posts
463 upvotes
causation wrote: Why would you not consider it a sell at $57? What's your thesis?
A few reasons:
It's been a few months since I started my investment & ENB is one of them. Don't need cash at this stage & want to stay long-term
-In one portfolio, I bought them @ 52 & prefer to hold as long-term investment as I do not need cash now.
-Guess it pays some dividend.
-In another portfolio, I was unlucky to have bought them @ 59 (much higher price) so I have no option other than waiting unless I want to cash out.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
12715 posts
7869 upvotes
Markham
nowhere2010 wrote: A few reasons:
It's been a few months since I started my investment & ENB is one of them. Don't need cash at this stage & want to stay long-term
-In one portfolio, I bought them @ 52 & prefer to hold as long-term investment as I do not need cash now.
-In another portfolio, I was unlucky to have bought them @ 59 (much higher price) so I have no option other than waiting unless I want to cash out.
Your answer and question are two different things

Your question is why 57 is considered as sell price (ie peak in near future)

Your answer is why you don't/can't sell

Your question is stock price, your answer is your investment strategy
Aug 2, 2015
88 posts
130 upvotes
Birdton, NB
This is exactly the issue - it does not sound like you had a thesis buying at 52 or at 59. Now when it is at 57 you still don't have a thesis and so you are being emotional due to the price movement of the stock, which should be the last thing you look at, more so when the investement timeline has just been a few month. The same lack of thesis makes you gravitate towards "luck" (or lack of it) reasons. Finally, again since you have no thesis, you are already thinking of cashing out and think that you "have no option other than wait", supposedly to avoid a loss when cashing out. All that in spite of saying "Don't need cash at this stage & want to stay long-term"

Stock picking is not simple. To be successful at stock picking you have to be able to at minimum:
1. Analyze businesses, comparing their past, present and future performance, comparing with competition and identifying those that are most likely to outperform
2. Value businesses, coming up with a reasonable risk adjusted price you are willing to pay for the stock to have a reasonably high chance to gain
3. Have a well defined investment strategy
4. Be capable to leave emotions out of the game and stick to your investement strategy through both good and bad times

Alternatively, you can just invest in a broadly diversified index of stocks, which is just investing in the economy of a certain part of the world or even globally and passively participating in that growth, which over a long term has earned about 11% annual gains on average. Steps 3 and 4 still apply.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
4710 posts
5213 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
reps001 wrote: better miss than beat. :facepalm:

It’s all about expectations of the results, rather than the results themselves. Whenever there is a mismatch between the two then you see the share price move.
Keep calm and go long
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
12715 posts
7869 upvotes
Markham
I don't think it's a surprise that this quarter is down compared to 2021. Covid time is a high bar for Amazon

They also "lose" money on rivan
Nov 8, 2011
646 posts
415 upvotes
Etobicoke
causation wrote: Why would you not consider it a sell at $57? What's your thesis?
If you do consider it a sell at this price, would love to hear your thoughts as to why. I bought in at $50 and have kept it for the dividends.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20277 posts
13635 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
For you (and any investor really), a more important question is when would you sell ENB? A price, a condition, a change of story at the company?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20277 posts
13635 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
DToronto wrote: If you do consider it a sell at this price, would love to hear your thoughts as to why. I bought in at $50 and have kept it for the dividends.
Some people look at it as a trade... make a few bucks and move on.

Is it the 'right' thing to do? For some, yes. For others, no. That's what makes a market.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2007
4036 posts
4519 upvotes
Toronto
luck4u2u wrote: The CHIPS act is clear now for Biden to approve, but the after-hour market for INTC seems reacts more negatively due to it missed the Q2 earnings significantly.
AMD is the leader now, Intel has been in trouble for years....

Thread Information

There are currently 12 users viewing this thread. (10 members and 2 guests)

leolozon, DrunkMunky168, RockstarLeo, wewlad, ElviBel, florenntina, seasky, Lancer Boy, tormont, Cartman86