Investing

Locked: What did you buy? What might you buy??

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2022 11:49 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2012
1145 posts
544 upvotes
Thought on LB.TO?
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
2547 posts
1902 upvotes
GTA
ZDY
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26761 posts
9330 upvotes
where I belong
RBC

RBC Capital Markets analyst Bish Koziol made six changes to the firm’s quantitatively driven QuaDS Score Top 40 list of top picks. Gone are Exchange Income Corp., Western Forest Products and First Quantum Minerals. In are Quebecor Inc., Canadian National Railway and Tourmaline Oil Corp. The proprietary stock selection method combines valuation, price momentum, profit growth and predictability.

The other 37 stocks on the list are Pembina Pipeline, Gibson Energy, Pason Systems, Keyera Corp., PrairieSky Royalty, Canadian Natural Resources, Cenovus Energy, CES Energy Solutions Corp., Parex Resources Inc., Enerplus Corp., Stella-Jones Inc., Major Drilling Group International, Labrador Iron Ore Royalty Corp., Richelieu Hardware Ltd., Toromont Industries Ltd., Finning International Inc., Canadian Tire Corp., Restaurant Brands International, Loblaw Companies Ltd., Metro Inc., North West Co. Inc., Empire Co. Ltd., Bank of Montreal, National Bank, TMX Group Ltd., Bank of Nova Scotia, Great-West Lifeco Inc., Equitable Group Inc., TD Bank, CGI Inc., Open Text Corp., Celestica Inc., Cogeco Communications Inc., Rogers Communications Inc., Quebecor Inc., BCE Inc., Shaw Communications Inc. and Fortis Inc.

“RBC Capital’s top 40 quant portfolio” – (table) Twitter
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2017
2901 posts
4579 upvotes
EasyCompany251 wrote: Anybody picking up TRP.TO after their share issue?
I gave it some thought to add this morning but I'll probably pass for now. Mostly due to the estimates for the next couple of years looking pretty flat and I don't want to add to margin.
Mar 23, 2015
537 posts
232 upvotes
Westmount, QC
I guess CHR results were awful any updates ?
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29536 posts
20456 upvotes
jerryhung wrote: RBC

RBC Capital Markets analyst Bish Koziol made six changes to the firm’s quantitatively driven QuaDS Score Top 40 list of top picks. Gone are Exchange Income Corp., Western Forest Products and First Quantum Minerals. In are Quebecor Inc., Canadian National Railway and Tourmaline Oil Corp. The proprietary stock selection method combines valuation, price momentum, profit growth and predictability.

The other 37 stocks on the list are Pembina Pipeline, Gibson Energy, Pason Systems, Keyera Corp., PrairieSky Royalty, Canadian Natural Resources, Cenovus Energy, CES Energy Solutions Corp., Parex Resources Inc., Enerplus Corp., Stella-Jones Inc., Major Drilling Group International, Labrador Iron Ore Royalty Corp., Richelieu Hardware Ltd., Toromont Industries Ltd., Finning International Inc., Canadian Tire Corp., Restaurant Brands International, Loblaw Companies Ltd., Metro Inc., North West Co. Inc., Empire Co. Ltd., Bank of Montreal, National Bank, TMX Group Ltd., Bank of Nova Scotia, Great-West Lifeco Inc., Equitable Group Inc., TD Bank, CGI Inc., Open Text Corp., Celestica Inc., Cogeco Communications Inc., Rogers Communications Inc., Quebecor Inc., BCE Inc., Shaw Communications Inc. and Fortis Inc.

“RBC Capital’s top 40 quant portfolio” – (table) Twitter
Globe link.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/investi ... ock-picks/

I think some of the picks are somewhat untimely. Why add CNR at $160+ when it languished in the $140s for the longest time last month. They are performance chasing.
Public Mobile customer, $34/50GB CAN-US, $29/30GB, $24/4GB
Tangerine, EQ, Simplii, HSBC customer
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2012
2150 posts
3216 upvotes
craigslist123 wrote: Thought on LB.TO?
Why buy the "worst house in a tough neighborhood" when the overall sector has had modest correction? Much better banks to add/buy than this.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 27, 2015
6972 posts
4953 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Anyone know how I can load USD into Questrade?

I want to buy 100 shares of CCL, but I only have CAD cash in my account.

I have tangible USD in an RBC bank account.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2020
1321 posts
854 upvotes
JRGUINNESS wrote: Anyone know how I can load USD into Questrade?

I want to buy 100 shares of CCL, but I only have CAD cash in my account.

I have tangible USD in an RBC bank account.
You can just convert your CAD to USD then buy US stocks. Or just chat with QT agent who can help you with this. Just be careful when playing with your Individual Margin in QT as without even realizing, you might be borrowing from QT.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 27, 2015
6972 posts
4953 upvotes
Toronto, ON
nowhere2010 wrote: You can just convert your CAD to USD then buy US stocks. Or just chat with QT agent who can help you with this. Just be careful when playing with your Individual Margin in QT as without even realizing, you might be borrowing from QT.
That is exactly what I don't want to happen.

I always want to have more cash in my account then what I buy.
Mar 12, 2017
832 posts
798 upvotes
EasyCompany251 wrote: Anybody picking up TRP.TO after their share issue?
Personally I bought in my dividend portfolio at 62.6. It seems to me that when it gets under the offering, it often goes back up. I thought I would have time to think back about it after I buy, as I thought that there was a better chance for it to go up from there than down in the short term. I must admit that I preferred KEY for the better/monthly dividend, so I'm still unsure if I want to keep it long term or just hold KEY.
Last edited by leolozon on Aug 5th, 2022 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2020
1321 posts
854 upvotes
LABD beaten up heavily
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2020
1321 posts
854 upvotes
can someone please help me understand on LABD?
In short, is it like when BioTech market goes down, LABD goes down like an Inverse ETF similar to SQQQ (for NASDAQ)?
Last edited by nowhere2010 on Aug 5th, 2022 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2015
3051 posts
1745 upvotes
Mississauga
Bought TRP at 62.56 at opening
"All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others" George Orwell
Dec 26, 2019
859 posts
1519 upvotes
I picked up TRP mid-morning at 62.7 for my leveraged / dividend growth portfolio.
Sep 10, 2018
29 posts
55 upvotes
I am looking at TD.TO. TD bank on shopping spree to buy Cowen for 1.3 billion recently, and also bought first horizon back in February. The bank stock had been coming down, and had been trading between 80 and 90 dollars range.
Anyone thinks it would go back once economy improve? Some even said increase interest rate is good for bank on mortgage. but all the banks had been down.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... rkets-unit

https://stories.td.com/us/en/article/td ... -lang-swap
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2014
3580 posts
6290 upvotes
Atlantic
Bought some EMP-A.TO @ $38.1
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15619 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
FrugalConsumer wrote: The jobs report technically was "good". The problem with a good jobs report is that the Feds are way less likely to pivot.
Let's get real here... the reason why people want the Fed to pivot was to increase the chances of a soft landing. If the jobs numbers stay "good" while gas prices drop, the need for the Fed to pivot actually drops since the economy is still going strong. Pivoting is really only needed to keep the economy from going down the drain but if the economy isn't going that way, pivoting isn't needed at this point.
May 10, 2009
177 posts
184 upvotes
CALGARY
What is going on for ZDY today? no trading volume at all?
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2015
1261 posts
1416 upvotes
Toronto, ON
craftsman wrote: Let's get real here... the reason why people want the Fed to pivot was to increase the chances of a soft landing. If the jobs numbers stay "good" while gas prices drop, the need for the Fed to pivot actually drops since the economy is still going strong. Pivoting is really only needed to keep the economy from going down the drain but if the economy isn't going that way, pivoting isn't needed at this point.
I agree with you. Upcoming CPI numbers will be important. Gas dropping is a strong indicator that inflation has peaked.

I still don't think we're not in a recession until NBER calls it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)